GTR2 and JSGME, do they work well together?

I like to use JSGME when using mods ,so I can go back to the plain vanilla version If I run into issues with a mod working or not.
So far though I haven't had a lot of luck getting it to work with GTR2, just not sure why though. Is there anything special to using it with GTR2 ?

How well it works depends on how well the routine for the mod/game was written.

What issues are you having?

(I'm not well versed with it because I normally eschew such utilities, preferring to manually install things so I know what was added/replaced and where, what was backed up and where, what was edited, etc.)

I sort of share your views, but after awhile can't remember what went where. I did manage to get 1 to work so far, hoping to have a second GPL for GTR2 :)

Give OVGME a try if JSGME has issues for you

I only use OVGME. Has more features and allows you to ZIP up your mods and install mods using those instead of folders. Saves space.

1658165046484.png

@Shovas
I still was hesitating ... will I swap from my usual JSGME for years ( 11 years ) to OVGME or not ?
The main thing I was sure of was .... possible to keep the zipped mods ( when of course they are perfectly respecful of the game tree ) but still not sure about one important point.

Reading the presentation, it looks like one single OVGME install is enough to be able to install its files in different game installs ( or even games themselves ). Do I understand this the right way ? ... as it should be the second most important reason for a definitive change.

Mods are taking so much place with 2 or 3 installs ( with many similar files, locations mostly ) on drive !

Can you confirm ?
Thanks in advance.

NB: If well prepared, JSGME can do the job perfectly as soon as the system is perfectly understood.
Once understood, there are some things you dare to do even when mods are activated :D

Last edited:
Reading the presentation, it looks like one single OVGME install is enough to be able to install its files in different game installs ( or even games themselves ). Do I understand this the right way ? ... as it should be the second most important reason for a definitive change.

Yes, one OVGME can be used for multiple games. That also means one folder for mods so no duplicating files.

Don't worry about ZIPs with versions and descriptions. I never use those features. I just use 7zip to zip up a mod folder and it just works as long as the folder's contents is meant to be dropped into the game's root folder.

To create a compatible zip I right-click the folder name > 7-Zip > Add to x.zip.

Last edited:
Thx Sho' for your answers
The only problem to solve now is .... when ? ;) finding the best time schedule will be another big .... own question.

Within a month of Sundays ? :D ... end of year should surely be fine.

Set each sim folder to have it's own OVGME Backup folder.

When doing a fresh Windows you need to either deactivate all mods in all sims OR keep a updated copy of C:\ProgramData\OVGME which is far easier.

I also recommend you use prefix for all mod naming.
This way you can put all content in the order you wish.

Mods are taking so much place with 2 or 3 installs ( with many similar files, locations mostly ) on drive !
Use symbolic links to point multiple programs/games to common folders. For example a dozen GTR2 installs could share one locations folder.

I've also used this to redirect programs from cluttering up "My Documents" (I once found Sims3 had eaten over 40gig of my C drive with save games ...when the game itself was on a near empty 1tB drive).

I also recommend you use prefix for all mod naming.
This way you can put all content in the order you wish.
I already did it with JSGME since the very beginning, a trick I learnt from an old friend. ;)
Cars_ ( or MOD_ ), Tracks_, APP_, GRAPH_, SKINS_, PACK_ for example followed by an obvious name and version number.

Latest News

What's needed for simracing in 2024?

• More games, period

• Better graphics/visuals

• Advanced physics and handling

• More cars and tracks

• AI improvements

• AI engineering

• Cross-platform play

• New game Modes

• Other, post your idea

Results are only viewable after voting.