GTR2 and Downsampling with NVIDIA DSR

Just to add- what I've noticed is you need a slightly different mix of AA for monitor racing compared to VR. On my triples I must use the in-game AA to get rid of the shimmering on the white lines no matter what - and then use enhance setting Nvidia inspector (Antialiasing - transparency supersampling + 4xMSAA) also. VR is different and don't need or use in-game AA.
No need for in-game AA.
You need Nvidia profile inspector and set :

Antialiasing compatibility 0x004412C1 (Diablo III)

That goes for all Gmotor 2 games and when you update the GPU driver you have to set it again as it gets deleted.

If you have a RTX type GPU the DL DSR are a real game changer as it is very light on the GPU.
I use DL DSR 2.25 and msaa x2 and sgss x 2 and do not think it can get much better on my monitor.

Atm on 5780x1080p triples and medium settings - on average I'm getting around 220-230fps at the start of a 10 car grid race and then when the cars spread out around 270-280fps - sometimes hitting 300fps. I think thats pretty good but if dldsr gives a tad more than that I'll have to experiment with that.

With DL DSR I use x2.25 for 3840 x 1620 resolution with avg. 300 fps.
With all in game graphics setting on max except Pitcrew that is Player only.
Reshade with Glamarye Fast Effects.
The later is very light on fps use it mainly for the GI effect.
Got a RTX 2070 lightly OC.

When things are like I want them I use fps limited at 180 fps so GPU/ CPU stays cooler so it can boost up when passing garages and other places where is is harder on the fps.

With the AA compatibility set to 0x004412C1 (Diablo III)...
Antialiasing compatibility 0x004412C1 (Diablo III)
I've used different high quality MSAA modes via Nvidia Inspector in ISI titles like GTR, GTL, R07, etc. and have always been able to get just about perfect visual quality but I've never touched the AA compatibility bits. What's the point of changing it to 0x004412C1 (Diablo III)?

Last edited:
I've used different high quality MSAA modes via Nvidia Inspector in ISI titles like GTR, GTL, R07, etc. and have always been able to get just about perfect visual quality but I've never touched the AA compatibility bits. What's the point of changing it to 0x004412C1 (Diablo III)?
Because you can have a perfect image quality with high fps at native resolution. No need for DSR.

Had a proper look at alternative settings with ninspector and I'm finding better clarity (quite noticeabley better in my eyes) when using level 4 in-game AA with diablo enhance application 4x SGSSAA and I think 2x msaa. But I do get a 40-50fps hit for it but the enviroments look very good so worth it

Next test up DL DSR...

Edit: On reflection, may have had something else on other than msaa - think it's the 8xQ setting. Will check later

Last edited:
Had a proper look at alternative settings with ninspector and I'm finding better clarity (quite noticeabley better in my eyes) when using level 4 in-game AA with diablo enhance application 4x SGSSAA and I think 2x msaa. But I do get a 40-50fps hit for it but the enviroments look very good so worth it
So you're doing in-game level 4 AA + 4xSGSSAA + 2x MSAA? You shouldn't need in-game AA + out-of-game MSAA, they're both MSAA. Also, when using SGSSAA + MSAA, you should use the same number for both (eg, 2x SGSSAA + 2x MSAA, 4x SGSSAA + 4x MSAA, etc.). I can't remember all the technical details about it. I've tested it quite a few times with non-matching numbers and it seems true.

What do you mean by "diablo enhance application"?

Edit: On reflection, may have had something else on other than msaa - think it's the 8xQ setting. Will check later
8xQ is just regular 8xMSAA

Last edited:
Using diablo in Nvidia inspector and using the "enhance" option rather override application for AA - so basically I get to use in-game AA plus Nvidia inspector stuff to enhance the visuals. Didn't know in-game AA was the same sort of AA as MSAA in Nvidia Inspector. So level 4 in-game AA is equivalent to 4 X MSAA in Nvidia Inspector I guess!?

Last edited:
Using diablo in Nvidia inspector and using the "enhance" option rather override application for AA - so basically I get to use in-game AA plus Nvidia inspector stuff to enhance the visuals. Didn't know in-game AA was the same sort of AA as MSAA in Nvidia Inspector. So level 4 in-game AA is equivalent to 4 X MSAA in Nvidia Inspector I guess!?
You have to use "overide application" and DON'T use in-game AA

So level 4 in-game AA is equivalent to 4 X MSAA in Nvidia Inspector I guess!?
Yes, with Nvidia, it's regular AA and a few years back it was regular AA and CSAA before Nvidia dropped CSAA (which worked great BTW). What each in-game level # represents is difficult to know. It can differ between different card brands (AMD, Nvidia), different card models & series, (eg. rtx 2080, 3090) and even different driver versions. It should be better to not use in-game AA and use override AA instead.

Last edited:
Well, affer getting a second pair of eyes to check for my own pair of eyes, the other pairs of eyes and I concur with you guys that no in-game AA is needed. Settled on nvidia inspector override setting of 8X MSAA and 8X SGSSAA! :thumbsup:

Edit: but haven't tried the dl dsr yet.

Last edited:
Could someone please put their Nvidia profiles !
It's hard to tell which settings are better than others...;)

Well here's one if you still need one. I'm going to try 8xMSAA, Diablo AA fix, and Downsampling again and see if it improves on these settings.

Rename to .nip to get it to work with nvidia profile inspector

Here's a preview of the important parts (everything else is stock GTR2 nvidia profile inspector stuff even if it looks like it's been modified):

1684817710148.png

Attachments

• GTR2 NVIDIA Profile 230523 - Good_nip.txt
    2.3 KB · Views: 49
I'd look into using DLDSR. Unlike regular DSR where the only one that looks good is 4.00x and 0% smoothing, DLDSR is completely different and both, 1.78x and 2.25x look awesome. One thing to keep in mind is to not use 0% smoothing with DLDSR. DLDSR actually automatically applies a sharpening filter so setting smoothing to 0 means you get a ton of the sharpening post-process filter making the image look bad, over-sharpened, aliased, etc. What the smoothing option actually does in DLDSR (not regular DSR) is reduce that terrible post-process sharpening filter. You should set it to 50% and no lower than the default 33%.

I did some performance testing with both a 2080 Ti and a 4090 with a 3840x1600 monitor @ DLDSR 1.78x (around 1.5% off from 5160x2160) and a 3440x1440 monitor @ DLDSR 2.25x (exactly 5120x2160). Performance is way better with the DLDSR than 8x MSAA + 8x SGSSAA. If I remember correctly, image quality looked better too as the DLDSR made the image look more "high resolution" and clean unlike the MSAA + SGSSAA combo which just makes the image look clean but not really any higher resolution looking.

I thought DLDSR was over-rated and disappointing before, especially compared to 4x and 8x MSAA + SGSSAA because I always used to test DLDSR @ 0% smoothing (like is advised with normal DSR). After I learned about how DLDSR works so different and set the smoothing to more "correct" levels, it completely changed to me and won me over.

Last edited:

Latest News

What's needed for simracing in 2024?

• More games, period

• Better graphics/visuals

• Advanced physics and handling

• More cars and tracks

• AI improvements

• AI engineering

• Cross-platform play

• New game Modes

• Other, post your idea