GTC65 Mixed (inc. Mods) @ Various - Tue 15th Sept

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stuart Thomson

The Stoat Without Fear ™
Premium
flyer-mix.jpg

Servername: RACEDEPARTMENT.COM
Class: GTC65 (excluding Lotus Elite / Ford GT40)
Track: Lime Rock Mountain
Practice: 20 min
Qualification: 10 min
Race: 14 laps
Note1: Click here to read the password and golden rules!
Note2: Default skins only
Note3: GTC65 Ferrari 250 SWB (download) & Porsche 904 (download) included - the mods must be installed
Note4: Choose a car from Group 1 for Race 1, choose a car from Group 2 for Race 2
Note5: If you participated last time we ran this event (at the Dijons), you cannot choose the same vehicles as then.

Cars for Race 1:
AC Cobra 289
Austin Healey 3000
Corvette 65
Mercedes 300SL
Renault Alpine
Shelby GT 350
Ferrari 250SWB

Cars for Race 2:
AC Cobra 427
Ferrari 275
Jaguar E-Type
Lotus Elan
Porsche 904
TVR Griffith
Shelby Daytona Coupe

:embarrassed: Sorry to bother you guys on these grounds again, but

could sb. please upload the replay of last night's events?

for some reason my parameter in the plr file were set back to "0" !? And I m using XP. I put the "1" back in there, copied the whole text and pasted it into a new document! I hope that this way it will stay :)

Report will follow soon (as Steven remarked alread, I did have a lot time on my hands yesterday, but now, I have to work overtime)

Danke an alle :)

Does anyone know how to convert the .bmp files taken from Fraps to jpg???
I just took pix from the race but they are in bmp and thus toooo large!

THX

Ulli, all I do is to open the file using MS Paint, resize it if needed (using Image / Resize), and then use the "Save as" function and select the file type as .jpg when I save it. If the size is still too big, I just repeat this by resizing it further.

A very late report from my side.
At first I had to get acquainted with Limerock, and men, I almost forgot the fun you can have on this track. As typed before, depending on the car/setup you can take that last downhill corner flat-out, you can almost feel it tickle in your stomach. As for car selection I used the same cars as Warren, the Healey followed by the 904.

R1: From second one I knew I would get into troubles with the tyres on the Healey: man, does this thing goes sideways or what! As like it wants to drift round every corner. Great how you can steer the nose with the throttle (not the case in the Alpine) , unfortunately it doesn't always work out like you want it too and it's pretty tyre-consuming. So after 8-10 laps (after Steven passed me again) my tyres were completely wasted resulting in numerous spins & crashes. Then I got stuck in the T1 sandpit -> game over. Shame as I felt pretty confident & fast through the first laps. Being able to drive behind Peter for a few laps was an achievement first class for me (despite reading Peter's issues afterwards it's still an achievement :) )

R2: Zé Posh :) Man, this car is fun to drive! It's faster then the Healey but it's much easier to aim through the last corner. Even though here's where Stuart squeezed his car through the inside. Ever seen bumper-sticking driving at 200kmh? Unfortunately my Porsche stopped accelerating at +/- 210 kph while Stuart kept accelerating. Damned limiter :)

General problem (as with several other events) is/was my lack of concentration. Having the pc in the livingroom where the misses passes to go to the kitchen/bedroom/... is really a concentration-killah. I hope to chenge this as soon as I end up in my new residence.

Here the position charts from both races: you can see the first halves are pretty chaotic :D
Lime1.jpg
2:
Lime2.jpg

Even though here's where Stuart squeezed his car through the inside. Ever seen bumper-sticking driving at 200kmh? Unfortunately my Porsche stopped accelerating at +/- 210 kph while Stuart kept accelerating. Damned limiter :)

Blimey - I totally forgot about that :doh:

Yeah that was pretty hairy for a sec, that was mad :D

I was surprised tbh, but I reckon the 904 has more to give at the top end, but iirc, the gearing can be adjusted individually for a little more top speed. I guess I was lucky to get the line exactly right, pick up a nice slipstream from you and get fortunate with your gearing. In a less serendipitous world, you would have driven off into the distance :D

Now here's my pretty late race report.

Preparation 4 this race:

First off, after last thursday's disaster where I spent most of the time off the track due to my lack of knowledge about creating a decent setup, I did some reading on setting up a car :woop:

Since I had a lot of time on my hands on Tuesday, I did some testing in the morning and after about 3 hours :bulgy-eyes:, I had my 1st own setup for the Renault Alpine :) @ this point: Thanks to Stu who answered my messages in no time :thumb:
After that, I helped Chris to get everything prepared for the Race, fixed something to eat and joined him on the server to work on my lap times. Since the 65 Corvette was also an option 4 this 1st race (and the fact that I love the appearance car) I jumped on in and gave it a shot. Right out the box, I hit a 1:58.010 and thus beat my best laptime in the Alpine which was a 1:58.515. Since I wasn't able to hit this lap time (+- 1 sec) in the Alpine in consecutive laps, I knew this was gonna be hard.
--> BUT, since I experienced excessive tire wear in the corvette which was so bad, that I would've smoked up the tires before even finishing 10 laps, I quickly discarded the idea of choosing this car for the race.

Soon, Steven showed up on the server and gave me some tutoring to get my times down in the Alpine. :thanks:

Although I got more and more familiar with the Alpine and also liked its cornering abilities, I had not yet chosen a car for RACE II. So I tried out numerous cars, including the cobra which I just couldn't thame. However, I had no idea which one to choose.

Race One:

I saw all these little quick & agile cars AND two Muscle Cars. NO COBRA (I guess everybody else had made the same experiences like me in this little rocket:soldier:). One Corvette. .... and I thought.... COME ON, DON'T BE A SISSY, GO FOR THE VETTE..... and just before quali, I made up my mind and chose the Corvette, regardless of the troubling tire wear and "not so forgiving" character as well as all the hours I had spent in the ALPINE :fwd2:.

In quali I came in P4. Knowing that with my setup, I would neet to take it easier on the tires, I needed to lay down a good start.

BEFORE THE THUNDER
1a_right%20before%20the%20thunder.jpg

The light went green and I hit the accelerator ....
...the Vette feeding on my 1st Alpine...

2a_Vette%20feeding%20on%20the%201st%20Alpine%20taking%20P3.jpg

shifting into 2ed, closing in fast on Steven from the left, the Vette feeding on its 2ed Alpine.... (we did not make any contact :embarrassed:)

4a_taking%20P2%20WITHOUT%20a%20touch.jpg

... and the two Corvettes took the lead :parrot:

5a_vettes%20taking%20the%20lead.jpg

... with Knut in P1
7a_Knut%20and%20the%20rest%20into%20T1.jpg

6a_Number%20One.jpg

... and a nice battle for P2 in the background

8a_Knut%20P1%20battle%204%20P2%20&%20P3.jpg

Peter in his GT 350

9a_Peter%20in%20the%20GT350.jpg

This battle between me and Steven for P2 which started in T2 remained for the first two laps. Up to the last turn in lap 2 I could keep him at bay. However, there he managed to pass me on the inside (the huge advantage of the little cars)

10a_Steven%20passing%20me%20in%20the%20last%20turn.jpg

11a_Steven%20after%20passing%20me%20onto%20the%20finish%20line.jpg

luckily, he played out the advantages of his Alpine in the last turn which led to the long straight where the Corvette could unleash all its power :)

and the tables were turned

12a_Steven%20being%20passed%20_tables%20turned.jpg

I had passed Steven and regained P2. However, since the Corvette hit the 250km/h mark, I needed to brake earlier in order to not be carried out off the track in T1. And Steven anticipated to pass me from the inside again...

13_successful%20defense%20of%20my%20P2.jpg

but fortunately it did not work.... not yet at least

14_steven%20did%20not%20make%20this%20one%20either.jpg

but now, the alpine was in his territory and Steven started another attempt

15_Steven%20anticipating.jpg

and successfully accomplished a clean take over, claiming P2

16_%20the%20clean%20&%20successful%20take%20over.jpg

putting me back in P3

17_%20putting%20me%20back%20in%20P3.jpg

I did not give up and tried to keep up with his pace (which I couldn't because I had learned many times before, that once you leave your personal comfort zone of your car, and become too greedy, you loose more:messed:... besides, he was simply faster)

Driving more on the save side, also cause I wanted to finish the race with one set of tires, I soon discovered that Steven had taken a little excursion into the forest handing over P2 back to me :D

18_Steven%20on%20his%20excursion%20handing%20back%20P2%20to%20me.jpg

a mistake from which others benefit as well

19_and%20helping%20others%20as%20well.jpg

but not for long as Steven came out of it quickly and caught up again

20_but%20not%20for%20long.jpg

Still in P2, I then came in range of Chris, staying behind him and waiting for a clean pass

21_me%20in%20pursuit%20of%20Chris%20waiting%204%20a%20clean%20pass.jpg

and took my chances, unleashing the V8 and passed him on the inside

22_unleashing%20the%20V8%20on%20the%20short%20straight.jpg

up into the 3ed last turn, a turn which I would be forced to remember for the future

23_successfully%20passing%20up%20Chris.jpg

I remained in P2 with Stuart slowly closing in on me. But I only had 5 more laps to go and since I went easy on the tires I was wanting to pick up the pace a little more once he comes too close. I was defined not to give up P2 without a "fight" (while still sticking to the rules). Unfortunately it was not meant to be and once again, AVIRA had some nice add to show to me and caused me going off the road handing over P2 to Stuart, just like that, no battle :excruciating::excruciating::excruciating::messed:

24_AVIRA%20strikes%20again%20minimizing%20GTL%20&%20me%20off%20the%20road.jpg

25_and%20forcing%20me2hand%20over%20P2%20to%20Stu%20without%20a%20fight.jpg

as it happened in the past, i happened again this time... cause trouble came again, in the same lap, I tried to shange the LCD display and accidently hit the shifter causing the car to spin :messed:

26_same%20lap%20but%20another%20incident_accidently%20hit%20the%20shifter%20which%20went%20into%201st.jpg

The same spot where my second race would end (in the riverbed)

27_this%20spot%20would%20mark%20my%20end%20of%20race%202%20int%20the%20elan.jpg

But even this was not enough.....
In the last lap, 3ed last corner, I RAN OUT OF GAS :wacko::brick:

28_LAST%20LAP%20third%20last%20corner%20I%20ran%20out%20of%20gas%20putting%20an%20end%20to%20this%20incredible%20race.jpg

Notwithstanding the fact that so many things went wrong once again, this was one of my best races ever :) also because it was in my beloved Corvette, a car which I will be willing to put in more effort in the future :honk::car2::tits:

caused me going off the road handing over P2 to Stuart, just like that, no battle :excruciating::excruciating::excruciating::messed:

Yeah that was a shame as it happens, I was looking forward to some dicing there. I wondered why you wandered off the straight, tbh.

Nice report Ulli

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back