GT Sport GT Sport: No Multiclass on Launch Plus Other Details

Paul Jeffrey

Premium
GT Sport Info Reveal 4.jpg

As the festivities at E3 ramp up over in LA, Polyphony Digital legend Kazunori Yamauchi has revealed some more information about the upcoming Gran Turismo Sport.

Originally scheduled to hit the stores late 2016, then delayed for an undisclosed period of time and now recently announced to release on Sony PlayStation 4 towards the end of 2017, Gran Turismo Sport has been around in various forms for well over a year now, yet still very few hard facts are known about a game that is proving to be one of the most anticipated additions to the Gran Turismo series in the long history of the franchise.

Thanks to the endeavours of GT Planet, Polyphony Digital founder Kazunori (Kaz) Yamauchi has shared a little more info on the progress of the title and what can be expected on release?

So what did Kaz have to say to GTP in Los Angeles?

One of the first things confirmed by the Japanese giants is that fog is indeed going to be present in GT Sport, quashing rumors that this weather effect seen in various screenshots to date has been mocked up specifically for the promotional activity of the title.

On a more disappointing note however, Yamauchi isn't sure if the now obligatory multiclass racing option will make it into the game, at least initially anyway -

"It is something that is technically possible that we can do, but it’s something that we will be testing in the pre-season tests for the FIA Gran Turismo Championships after release"

For a game that is focussing primarily on motorsport championships and holds an official association with motorsport governing body the FIA, a lack of multiclass racing within the initial launch is a bit of a body blow for those looking to recreate some akin to the World Endurance Championship, but at least the developers haven't ruled out the possibility for the lifespan of the title.

Fortunately Kaz has confirmed that despite initial scepticism on the topic from long time fans of the game, the new title won't be a one trick pony in terms of placing all its eggs in one big eSports related basket, and the original concept of Gran Turismo remains front and centre in the new title -

The game "is actually going to contain more features than any other game in the series to date. Nothing has been dropped, things have only been added. Whether it be the campaign mode, or the offline gameplay, or the open lobbies, everything has been raised in quality and there is more of it, so there is nothing to worry about. Nothing has been dropped.

The closed beta is really just one snippet of the whole Gran Turismo Sport experience. It’s just one part of it, and it’s also the most stressful part of the experience, so it’s important that we have the support of the community to help test it out".

I have absolutely no doubt that confirmation of a continued focus on single player car collection and customisation will prove to be a big hit with Gran Turismo fans, as the formula created by Polyphony all the way back in 1997 has helped shape the series into what it is today. Added into the mix what are undoubtedly genre leading graphics and a new push towards the world of eSport racing alongside an official FIA affiliation, despite its troubled start GT Sport looks well on course to becoming a very solid entry into a racing game series nothing short of legendary.

GT Sport is set to be the latest title from Polyphony Digital Gran Turismo franchise . GT Sport is scheduled for release during 2017 for Sony PlayStation 4.

GT Sport Info Reveal 1.jpg
GT Sport Info Reveal 2.jpg
GT Sport Info Reveal 3.jpg

Don't forget to check out the Gran Turismo Series sub forum here at RaceDepartment to keep abreast of all the latest news and discussion around these racing games. We have a dedicated section for GT6 and for the upcoming Gran Turismo Sport release, so stay tuned for all the information as and when it becomes available.

Looking forward to GT Sport? Disappointed to hear of no multiclass racing? Do you think online ranked multiplayer will prove successful in the game? Let us know in the comments section below!

Last edited:
This has taken way too long. I hope it isn't too late. Many of my GT6 friends have been tired of waiting and switched to PC already, but if GT Sport really is amazing I'm sure people will fire up their PS4 again.

This has taken way too long. I hope it isn't too late. Many of my GT6 friends have been tired of waiting and switched to PC already, but if GT Sport really is amazing I'm sure people will fire up their PS4 again.

Yes, if it is amazing then yes, but with what we know it's hard to see this being that amazing. It's coming out with roughly the same amount of content (arguably less) that Forza 5 did 4 years ago; which was widely criticized for it. When you factor in the growing competition it's facing and the lack of some features, it's hard for me to see this being equal to the rest.

It could be interesting if the VR works well and I do like inclusion of a school, something other games have omitted for some time.

[Quote = "billymitchell, de la publicación: 2502016, miembro de: 32547"] ... Muchíiiiiiiiiisimo los más de molienda en la franquicia hasta la fecha ?!

giphy.gif
[/CITAR]
It will be the only simcade that will not break the cars are visually vague. I do not understand forza1 already break up the crystals.

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back