1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
Dismiss Notice
Like RaceDepartment on Facebook.

Graphics problem?

Discussion in 'Bob's Track Builder' started by Erwin Greven, Dec 18, 2009.

1. Erwin Greven

Erwin Greven
    Premium Member

While driving a race, the game freezes and the textures are being "replaced" by another ones.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

what is causing this??

2. Kris Vickers

Kris Vickers
    Hardware Staff

I had this happening to me too.

I dont think its hardware, as my 8800GT has no similar problems with any other game, including ones that are more harsh to it.

Since i switched to windows 7, i havn`t had this problem, so can only assume its driver related.

First thing that i would do, is get driver cleaner and a new set of drivers for your card (roll back a few versions).
    Start in safe mode and remove your (asuming nvidia?) drivers, then start normally and try your new ones.

3. Erwin Greven

Erwin Greven
    Premium Member

thanks, i will try it. In fact i had the same problem last week with NR2k3.

4. Check that it's not an overheating issue, Get HWMonitor and run it whilst your playing, It will show you a max-min value for your temps
    http://www.cpuid.com/hwmonitor.php

5. Erwin Greven

Erwin Greven
    Premium Member

Temps were normal, also used new drivers. Still had the same problem.

6. I have had this a couple of times. it was to do with the timing gates, If I changed the texture used and re exported them with 3dsimmed with a no render tag, it worked.

Just reread, Mine was still drivable but the track textures cycled other textures.

so might be some thing else.

7. Erwin Greven

Erwin Greven
    Premium Member

This is my PC:

AMD Athlon 64 x2 Dual
    Memory 2GB
    GPU Asus EN9500GT

At least i know what problem i have to fix the coming year.

8. Erwin Greven

Erwin Greven
    Premium Member

I will upload the lastest version of this track. Maybe someone can have a look at it. Maybe the problem is not even to be found in this track.

9. Erwin Greven

Erwin Greven
    Premium Member

10. Erwin Greven

Erwin Greven
    Premium Member

Has some one else tested the lastest version of this track? And did it crash?

11. Erwin Greven

Erwin Greven
    Premium Member

Spend the whole week to get this sorted, but no avail.. Think i am going to abandon the project.

12. Kris Vickers

Kris Vickers
    Hardware Staff

Sorry i`ve not tested this yet bud. Been trying to crack on with Croft somewhat :)

I`ll try and give it a quick go tonight, as i downloaded it when you posted it.

Will test it a few times for various lengths and let you know.

13. hHi that was happening to me several times, with different circuits, too, but after rebooting the PC, it works ok,

Regards

14. Erwin Greven

Erwin Greven
    Premium Member

Hopefully it is a problem wich is easy to solve, because i spend some 7 months with working at this track. Had no problems and suddenly it behaves like this. So sad i have no back up for this one. Yesterday i was so fed up i almost deleted the whole track. Luckily i didn't.

First i have to know how i can get a higher frame rate. I saw some tracks, like the Nurburgring and some other tracks wich also have a lot of trees around, wich have not such a huge impact on the frame rate.

15. Erwin Greven

Erwin Greven
    Premium Member

This problem occurs also in another track i build.

16. Kris Vickers

Kris Vickers
    Hardware Staff

Well, its not your track bud.

I`ve had a few goes at it, and no problems. So it must be your drivers.

Like i said, this was happening to me when i was on XP. After only changing to Win7 and still using all the same hardware, all is fine (touch wood).

17. Erwin Greven

Erwin Greven
    Premium Member

Yesterday i drove it with the graphics very low. No problems. So it could be the drivers indeed. Or the Direct X drivers.

18. Erwin Greven

Erwin Greven
    Premium Member

Did a race with some AI cars. Game froze after 2 laps.
    Graphs as low as possible.

I hesitate a bit to switch to Win7. BTB is not build for Win7.

19. Kris Vickers

Kris Vickers
    Hardware Staff

I havn`t had any problems getting anything to work with Win7 so far.
    It really baffles me how some people struggle with BTB in Win7, and some dont?

Hope you get this sorted soon buddy, i know how frustrating it can be trying to find a phantom problem.

20. It could be that your graphics card is failing, but it could also be a problem with the power supply unit. Last month my computer would halt and all signals to the monitor would cease whenever I was running any 3d graphics program (including BTB). My card was fairly new so I replaced the PSU, and now stability seems to have returned.

Of course there are many variables so it can be very hard to narrow things down, but other hardware faults are worth considering.