Gpu usage 20%-40% less using openvr mode with rift

Check out my thread here:

http://www.assettocorsa.net/forum/index.php?threads/vr-performance-in-oculus-vs-ovr-modes.47367/

Update: Something big has changed in the oculus update yesterday and the one the day before, OR mode now has much improved performance, matching OVR mode.

I will include a guide here, in case you do not have a verified account at assettocorsa.net

This will lower your gpu usage 20-40% in openvr mode with the rift.
Under render settings, change to' Openvr early access' instead of 'Oculus Rift'. AC will start steamvr when you start race/rift mode.
Note I have a GTX1060, not overclocked.

Have run many tests, initally in practice at lake louise in the lotus 3-eleven. In Oculus Rift mode (OR), I get 5% headroom (using oculustool), in OpenVR mode (OVR), I get 60-65% headroom!

At nordschleife, with 12x opponents, 4xAA, 16xAF, reflections low, mirror normal, smoke normal, BrakelightVR PP, world detail Maximum, Shadows disabled, I get 90 fps constant. On a gtx1060. This nearly matches the options a user mentioned, when he was in OR mode, on his GTX1080! (my smoke settings higher, his with shadows on).
*update: tried the above with shadows on (low), still 90 fps after the first corner.
*update2: frame rates are inconsistent with shadows on... some runs I get 90fps, others I get 45 fps a lot... dropped to 9x cars and its all good. Might turn shadows back off.

Notes:

Sometimes it does not activate properly, and will get a really low frame rate (I've seen -95% headroom). In this case restart everything, or reboot.

Occasionally steamvr crashes, wont close, loses steamvr server

OVR mode doesnt seem to like high reflections combined with high AF on some tracks. It spikes up and down in frame rate. especially when you look down, which is weird.

Other users have got this working successfully also, some others have not. We do not know why at this time.

I do not use SSAA/supersampling, I find inbuilt 4xAA way way better at antialias.

All steamvr reprojection etc, is OFF.
Oculus Home must be left running.

The screen mirror seems to be a 'true' mirror. i.e, rendering at 1080*1200 then resized to 1920x1020.
Therefore the aspect ratio is wrong. This could be corrected if you process the video, but not sure about streaming.

Thanks to user detoit, for mentioning openvr mode on his vive, which make me think of trying it on the rift.

Cheers,
Divxmaster

Last edited:
Thanks for this tip! Tried with Content Manager, set Rendering to Open VR (early support?), run a sample race but I get pauses when on-track. Any idea why? I'm not using SteamVR is not in beta. (i5-4670k / 980Ti/16Gb RAM)

@JoelGL, I've havent used content manager so far... not sure why it is pausing for you. do you set the render device in content manager?
Thanks. Can you share your PP (for brake lights only). I tried turning PP off and got mostly 90, so this is what's hogging my resources. I was using gbw Vanilla PP. So I'll try using your PP.

PS. what's your CPU?

Hi,
detoit is the author of that, here:
http://www.assettocorsa.net/forum/i...re-faint-greenish-when-pp-is-off.43422/page-3

I am running a 4770k @ 4.2. I see your 4670k doesnt have hyperthreading. I wonder if that is the problem.... I have had the >99% cpu usage come up once. But not in a couple of weeks though.
Your 980ti should be 30% faster than my gtx1060.
I've redone the first post, if you haven't seen that, go through the notes part.

Cheers,
Divxmaster

Hi,
detoit is the author of that, here:
http://www.assettocorsa.net/forum/i...re-faint-greenish-when-pp-is-off.43422/page-3

I am running a 4770k @ 4.2. I see your 4670k doesnt have hyperthreading. I wonder if that is the problem.... I have had the >99% cpu usage come up once. But not in a couple of weeks though.
Your 980ti should be 30% faster than my gtx1060.
I've redone the first post, if you haven't seen that, go through the notes part.

Cheers,
Divxmaster
Runs better now, fps was more stable fixed at 45fps anytime a car is in front of mine, unlike before where fps kept moving up/down. I guess its really my CPU that's limiting it at 45fps when it renders a car in front. Will continue playing with settings.... but this is a big improvement. :)

Last edited:
Hi divxmaster.

I've taken some hours reading both your post (this and the official forum one), and before try the OVR (I'm not at home), my conclusion is that the performance increase you experienced come from the shadows and supersampling deactivation.

I own a setting with a 1060 6GB non-overclocked to (with a low cost AMD quad core processor of course... ). But based in my own experience, AAx4 must complement SS, can't be a replacement of it. I could not play AC without a 1.4/1.5 supersampling, and, in any case I could play AC without shadows (with or without VR), cause it looks like Live for Speed in alpha stage.

However, I have to prove the OVR support, not so much for the performance improvement but for testing the performance of the SteamVR asynchronous reprojection, because the Oculus ASW completely ruins the experience on some circuits.

I do not know if any of you can tell me your experience with reprojection.

Regards.

Last edited:
Used to have the same performance with OR or OVR, now suddenly I'm getting massive FPS drops with Rift, but with the same settings in OVR a super stable 90fps! Strange...

steam vr and oculus home makes assetto corsa more heavy. why dont you disable them and let the game run as good as in monitor. i get 90 fps all the time with ss 1,5 as i allready wrote to other topics. i m not at gaming pc but ill try again ovr to see if i get any diference. (hope yes) thank you topic starter!

steam vr and oculus home makes assetto corsa more heavy. why dont you disable them and let the game run as good as in monitor. i get 90 fps all the time with ss 1,5 as i allready wrote to other topics. i m not at gaming pc but ill try again ovr to see if i get any diference. (hope yes) thank you topic starter!

How do you disable Oculus Home?

I thought the turning off oculus home no longer worked under dash 2.0? Also, note there is a bug in AC in VR that if you view in someone elses car, as in actually sitting in the drivers seat, then AC drops to 45fps ASW permanently until you reboot. (or possibly restart vr service)

Cheers,
Divxmaster

I used to always run AC in Oculus Rift with SS 1.5 in Content Manager, it stayed at 90fps all the time the whole NS track. Now all of a sudden it drops to 45fps on multiple corners, even when driving alone, it goes up to 90fps, then down to 45fps every now and then. In OpenVR with the exact same settings and SS 2.0 (in SteamVR settings) I get a solid 90fps... something happened to Oculus VR... I tried all different USB 3.0 ports, I tried a complete re-initialization, I tried restarting, everything.

@HugoB,
Not sure what could be causing your problem, as the OP of this thread and as mentioned previously, updates stopped the OVR being faster than OR for me and a few others. But these updates were a long time ago. Indeed it may have actually been that OR mode was actually broken instead, and OVR mode wasnt.
I guess you could try a reinstall of rift s/w? I reinstall my gaming pc from scratch about four days ago. But I had it set up the right way, so OculusApps and SteamLibrary were on D:, not C:, so all I had to do was point steam and oculus at those libraries and everything started working again.

Does oculus software have a verify function? I dont have access to my gaming pc at the moment.

Cheers,
Divxmaster

@HugoB,
Not sure what could be causing your problem, as the OP of this thread and as mentioned previously, updates stopped the OVR being faster than OR for me and a few others. But these updates were a long time ago. Indeed it may have actually been that OR mode was actually broken instead, and OVR mode wasnt.
I guess you could try a reinstall of rift s/w? I reinstall my gaming pc from scratch about four days ago. But I had it set up the right way, so OculusApps and SteamLibrary were on D:, not C:, so all I had to do was point steam and oculus at those libraries and everything started working again.

Does oculus software have a verify function? I dont have access to my gaming pc at the moment.

Cheers,
Divxmaster

Cheers guys, I did the Oculus1 and Oculus2 hack, it works, no more Oculus Home. But it doesn't change my Assetto Corsa fps performance, there is literally no difference... Running 32Gb 3200 CL14 RAM, i7 6850K OC @ 4.2, Titan XP, SSD.. it used to be perfect with Sol mod and custom shaders on, MSAA 4x, shadows max, reflections medium, smoke low, PP max, world detail max etc, it was running nicely, now really bad with Oculus Rift.

In OpenVR mode (selectable in Content Manager) I get super solid 90fps with the same settings...

I'm going to try a fresh install now of Oculus, then of Assetto Corsa, then on Windows 10. I hate to use OpenVR because I can't get virtual desktop from the oculus dashboard, since my rig is away from the monitor I use virtual desktop all the time so I don't have to get out of the rig (I'm using a harness).

Cheers guys, I did the Oculus1 and Oculus2 hack, it works, no more Oculus Home. But it doesn't change my Assetto Corsa fps performance, there is literally no difference... Running 32Gb 3200 CL14 RAM, i7 6850K OC @ 4.2, Titan XP, SSD.. it used to be perfect with Sol mod and custom shaders on, MSAA 4x, shadows max, reflections medium, smoke low, PP max, world detail max etc, it was running nicely, now really bad with Oculus Rift.

In OpenVR mode (selectable in Content Manager) I get super solid 90fps with the same settings...

I'm going to try a fresh install now of Oculus, then of Assetto Corsa, then on Windows 10. I hate to use OpenVR because I can't get virtual desktop from the oculus dashboard, since my rig is away from the monitor I use virtual desktop all the time so I don't have to get out of the rig (I'm using a harness).
My Rift performance took a nosedive recently, probably after one of the recent Oculus updates. Prior to that I was getting 100+ fps in hotlapping, now it's around 50fps.

I've always used Oculus software in Assetto Corsa but just tried OpenVR out of curiosity after reading your post. Seems like I was getting a massive FR boost with OpenVR over Oculus (like 45-50 fps more) in hotlapping, but after the first test (which ran fine, just OpenVR) Oculus always insisted on starting their software even after being shut down and with OpenVR selected as the renderer in Content Manager.

How the hell do you stop the Oculus software from forcing itself on?
And does OpenVR have an ASW solution?

Hi Mascot,
As far as I know, you can't, steamvr on the oculus rift has to use the rift services. Not sure why it didnt start the oculus software the first time you used openvr. It always opens it for me.
Well I should say it started both oculus softwares, because it starts oculusclient and oculusdash.

In saying that they dont cause any issue for me, client uses nothing, and the dash only is using 0.1% cpu, but a lot of memory (700mb). My new rig (8700k@4.7+1080) has 16gb ram so that isn't an issue.

Note that openvr mode disables supersampling, and also I think steamvr has some reprojection doodad that is like asw, but i've never tried using it .

Cheers,
Divxmaster

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back