GPU upgrade = new love for RRE in VR

So I upgraded from rx480 (no slouch) to a 1080TI. My timing was purely accidental as I was oblivious to GPU shortage. I scored one from B&H Photo for $769 a few weeks ago(sold out in 24 hours and price is now over 1k). I put my OC RX480 8Gb on ebay and it sold for $500 (I paid $230 a year ago). This is still mind boggling. But anyways back to the title topic.

Raceroom was my fav 2d sim. The experience was a bit rough with my rx480 in VR, especially when compared to iRacing (easiest to setup ever!) for my particular setup. Then I bought PC2 and was having a blast (I LOVE ALL THE RACING SIMS and how fortunate we are to have so many choices with their unique track offerings!) but then realized I was spending more time faffing about trying to make all that eye candy work and look right than racing. I booted up RRE and so tired with faffing about I selected auto graphics, loaded up 20 cars and hit the track and man I forgot how much I enjoy this sim. Is it 45fps/90fps? I could never tell as I don't suffer from any motion sickness ever (I think decades of being drunk built up my tolerance hahaha). I avoid bashing the other sims as much as I can and focus more on how to get it to work for my setup. So now I think its finally time to stop nickel and diming, save some money in the long run and just buy the whole damn package.

This VR thing is the shizzle!!!

I know this maybe is an age old question (well relative to the introduction of current generation VR), but when compared to a regular screen setup. Does it require much adaptation to get used by it? It looks absolutely stuning based on recorded footage. But as matter of fact, I really get sick when I play a first person shooters. It’s that way from the time of original Doom to today. While with racing games it’s not a problem. But I’m afraid to experience that with VR in racing. Could someone gives maybe their experiences with adapting to VR?

It's a tough one to call, Patrick. I personally do not suffer motion sickness in any VR game (to date), though I know people who do. FPS games are generally the worst for it because your mind just doesn't like "walking" about without any sensation of actual movement. People seem to fair much better in racing sims because you're sitting in a car rather than walking/running. It can still induce sickness though for some people, though I hear you can adapt to it slowly by doing short stints at first, and building them up as you go along.

Obviously the best way to find out is to try it out, but since VR is a long way from mainstream many of us don't know a mate that has it already. (I'm lucky enough to live with someone who does. Tried his, bought my own set the next day!) :p

Ross nailed it. After toying with Skyrim in VR I could see how one could become sick walking around with out walking around IRL. I didn't get sick but would become disoriented occasionally if flailing my sword against a dragon trying to survive hahaha. But seated in a car the only time my brain gets weird is when I'm in reverse . Maybe give one of the recently discounted Windows headsets a shot from Amazon and return if it doesn't work out?

The only thing that gets me is slowing to a complete standstill, the point when you fully stop just messes with me but you aren’t going to be doing it often.

Aircar demo on OH though is the only one which really made me feel actually ill rather than just a bit wobbly. I think the combination of the world rotating in any direction and motion without any physical movement from me just pushed it over the edge.

DiRT Rally is also known to cause severe motion sickness because of the extreme (and unrealistic) head movement when transitioning up and down hills. Thankfully it can be disabled. Note that you can also modify the amount of head movement caused by physics in R3E as well, though I think it's pretty low already by default. If you want to test for motion sickness in R3E, a track like Knutstorp with crazy elevation changes would be good. Or perhaps the Corkscrew at Laguna Seca.

What settings do you guys run raceroom on in Vr? I have a 1080ti and 32gb ram. All settings on low i get suttering/lag with 20 cars on track
1060 here and I run it with everything set to maximum, except motion blur (I hate it) and reflections (pointless). Runs fine with full grids online, so I don't know why your performance is so poor. :O_o:

What settings do you guys run raceroom on in Vr? I have a 1080ti and 32gb ram. All settings on low i get suttering/lag with 20 cars on track
What CPU do you have? It’s very much bottlenecked by it which means you are probably getting stutter from it switching between 90fps and 45fps with ASW it your CPU can’t keep up. Also which headset, could be one of your steamvr settings?

1060 here and I run it with everything set to maximum, except motion blur (I hate it) and reflections (pointless). Runs fine with full grids online, so I don't know why your performance is so poor. :O_o:
That will be running at locked 45FPS ASW which will be smoother than 90fps with ASW turning on/off all the time.

However 90fps is still preferable and should be the target as running ASW all the time at 45fps is more likely to cause VR sickness. I don’t think a 1060 would be able to hit that in any of the sims though even with everything on low, my OC’d 980Ti needs to be on mostly low settings, the bare minimum for VR sims at 90fps is probably a 1070 and anything below doing what you have and cranking up the settings is going to give smoother performance with multiple cars on track because it won’t be fluctuating trying to hit 90.

What CPU do you have? It’s very much bottlenecked by it which means you are probably getting stutter from it switching between 90fps and 45fps with ASW it your CPU can’t keep up. Also which headset, could be one of your steamvr settings?

That will be running at locked 45FPS ASW which will be smoother than 90fps with ASW turning on/off all the time.

However 90fps is still preferable and should be the target as running ASW all the time at 45fps is more likely to cause VR sickness. I don’t think a 1060 would be able to hit that in any of the sims though even with everything on low, my OC’d 980Ti needs to be on mostly low settings, the bare minimum for VR sims at 90fps is probably a 1070 and anything below doing what you have and cranking up the settings is going to give smoother performance with multiple cars on track because it won’t be fluctuating trying to hit 90.

My CPU is an intel i7 7700k, I run supersampling at 1.5 and anti-aliasing in-game at x2

I can run Assetto Corsa on higher settings and never go under 90fps
Iracing on max settings and x2 AA runs it a breeze
even RF2 has better VR performance

My CPU is an intel i7 7700k, I run supersampling at 1.5 and anti-aliasing in-game at x2

I can run Assetto Corsa on higher settings and never go under 90fps
Iracing on max settings and x2 AA runs it a breeze
even RF2 has better VR performance
Ah, in that case you may be one of the unlucky ones where it’s just inexplicably screwed for you as a few others have complained about the same problem and nobody could work out why.

What are you steamvr settings, specifically supersampling, interleavedd reprojection and asynchronous reprojection?

Ah, in that case you may be one of the unlucky ones where it’s just inexplicably screwed for you as a few others have complained about the same problem and nobody could work out why.

What are you steamvr settings, specifically supersampling, interleavedd reprojection and asynchronous reprojection?
SteamVR settings are as recomended, supersampling 1.5
practice runs amazing, racing with a small field great, even a field of 20 works good once spread out, but the 1st two laps are a stuttery laggy mess :( but i don't want to compromise by running a grid of 10

SteamVR settings are as recomended, supersampling 1.5
practice runs amazing, racing with a small field great, even a field of 20 works good once spread out, but the 1st two laps are a stuttery laggy mess :( but i don't want to compromise by running a grid of 10
Ah ok, if it’s fine normally then unfortunately it is just the CPU bottleneck. It is only DX9 and singlethreaded so we are at the mercy of the fact singlethreaded performance hasn’t massively changed in the last few years in such scenarios.

Quick thing to be tried here, if not already. After having similar issues myself, I read on a forum that you are better turning off multi threading for your cpu while playing r3e, and set the game to only utilise 1 core.I am still running an i5 2500k, oc to 4.5ghz,and it worked a charm for me. I don't remember how to do it, but I'm sure Google will! Lol Hope this helps

Quick thing to be tried here, if not already. After having similar issues myself, I read on a forum that you are better turning off multi threading for your cpu while playing r3e, and set the game to only utilise 1 core.I am still running an i5 2500k, oc to 4.5ghz,and it worked a charm for me. I don't remember how to do it, but I'm sure Google will! Lol Hope this helps
Has anyone else had success using this technique ?

Has anyone else had success using this technique ?

The game only uses 1 cpu core so he didn't change anything, also an i5 2500k does not have hyper threading tech so disregard.

Edit: i read mike's response as hyper threading instead of multi processing....apologizes!:)

Until Raceroom switches to the unreal engine or utilizes more than 1 cpu core, those that don't have top of the line cpus will struggle with performance in vr not mention they have made dx9 work in vr which is not really supported.

I have a i5 3570k oc to 5.5 with gtx 970 ssc and the game rarely runs above asw 45 fps

Last edited:

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back