GPU for triple 1440 + VR?

I've searched the forums and didn't find the exact answer, forgive me if it's buried somewhere.

1. I am looking to run 3x 32" 1440 monitors 144hz (want 100fps+ minimum)
2. PLUS, occasionally I'd like to run VR as well (effectively a 4th monitor)

Most of the time, I'll run either only the triples OR the VR unit + 1 monitor.
But In an ideal world, I run the VR AND all 3 monitors (for friends at parties to watch while the driver is in their VR world) but I'm thinking that's not possible (GPU wise and/or resolution conflicts?)

What can I expect here? Will I more than likely need to unplug a couple of the monitors during VR sessions, leaving the center monitor as a 'viewing monitor' for friends to maintain a good FPS?

Graphics cards: I am looking at the RTX 4080 /4090. A friend said the 4080 with 16GB wouldn't be enough and the 4090 with 24GB would be much better. Anyone have any idea if either will suffice to firstly run the triples at a decent FPS and MAYBE the VR as well? Or at least what to expect/problems etc?

I mainly run the frame hungry Assetto Corsa and not many other games.

Thanks in advance for the wisdom!

You want as much power as you can throw at it. Particularly as AC is your main game where you can crank the graphics up to 11 via CSP and PPFilters.

I use a 3080Ti and have nice graphics on a Valve Index at 90hz with 250% supersampling, unless on a particularly heavy car or track or during heavy rain. I'd want a much faster card when I upgrade to a higher resolution headset, and wouldn't mind one even now to get those troublesome car/track/weather combos to run better at my preferred graphics settings.

You could easily use a 4080 to get a great experience, but the nature of AC means that you can always push for more fidelity and you might regret not getting the faster card.

Captain, thank you.

WHat VR unit/resolution are you running with your 3080? And do you also run an external monitor at the same time as your VR? and What size/resolution is that?

I run a 3080Ti which is more akin to a 3090 than a 3080. The HMD is a Valve Index at 250% supersampling, with the VR mirror at 4k.

The Index panels are 1440×1600 per eye, so if my math is correct its rendering 11,520,000 pixels per frame. 250% of (1440 * 1600 * 2)

The VR mirror pixels are already rendered - its really just an additional output buffer and doesn't seem to have much cost to it.

Last edited:

Latest News

What's needed for simracing in 2024?

• More games, period

• Better graphics/visuals

• Advanced physics and handling

• More cars and tracks

• AI improvements

• AI engineering

• Cross-platform play

• New game Modes

• Other, post your idea