Got my 3DRap.it shifter mod, and here are my thoughts

Ly4xrvL.jpg

I literally spent a fortune this holiday season on my aluminum profile rig, which means I have absolutely no budget to upgrade my setup and have to stick to my G27. I ran into this 3DRap.it mod the other day on r/simracing, and thought the idea was fun. So I ordered this mod, which cost 13 Euros, and ~7 US dollars for shipping.

Link for the mod: http://www.3drap.it/prodotto/mod-cambio-gearbox-logitech-g25-g27-g29-improved-feel/

This mod is supposed to add resistance for G27 H shifter so it becomes more demanding to get into gears. Here is the demonstration video from their Youtube channel:

The package came in nicely:
mKwU75Q.jpg

Basically the mod consists of 2 parts: a black "rail" part, and an orange "slider" part. The idea is very simple: the slider can slide left and right in the rail, and due to the shape of the slider it creates some resistance so G27 is harder to get into gear.
6cHuIiE.jpg

3APjiaA.jpg

gCW4lQV.jpg

Here are my thoughts after using it for a while:
  1. The added resistance does feel nice.
  2. But sadly it still doesn't change the experience a lot IMHO. The G27 shifter still feels like a toy.
  3. What keeps the black rail part in place are the foam parts on the G27, and the PU leather shifter cover. Because the slider will deform when you shift gears, the slider will give upward force to the rail, causing the rail to rise a bit. This does not feel nice. Notice in the picture above when I show how the shifter is in gear I use my fingers to push down the rail. I can feel something is wonky inside the shifter when I drive. It can be very tricky to get into reverse gear sometimes, due to the extra effort needed to push the shifter down while shifting. I think maybe if the rail can be better attached to the shifter the experience will be much nicer.
  4. The seller includes a replacement slider in the package, which I think means that the slider will wear out some time (which also makes sense). This means I should not glue the rail part to the shifter to solve the aforementioned issue, or I will have a hard time getting the rail off when I need to replace the slider.
Do I recommend this mod? Maybe, maybe not. I probably will give a 6/10 or 7/10 for this mod. If you live in the Europe and don't have to spend a lot for shipping, and if you are sure you will stick to your G25/G27/G29 for a while, and if you want just some easy added feeling for the shifter, then I think maybe you can consider this mod. I would say for most people, the best thing to do if you want a really good H shifter is to save for something that is much better than the G27 shifter in the first place.

Just my 2 cents.

The idea is good but poorly executed, real problem here are materials used. PLA isn't a good choice for this kind of mods, better use ABS or similar...
Btw there are a lots of mods which helps to improve the g27 shifter feeling jut google for them (some G25 mods can be applyed to G27 too)

Upvote 0
I had this, it made the shift feel a bit better but as stated the materials are weak. I had to file mine smooth to make it shift nicely as well. In a race last week it moved and then snapped. Now in the bin, definitely won't buy again

Upvote 0
Nice to see some feedback on this, my fear was the same about the shape and material of the parts seemed to be justified. I have made some here with better materials and FEA optimized shape. At least on mine it does make a significant difference. Driving one without it feels way unnatural now...

The last iteration has now been running for months now for myself and friends. If you are interested I might start selling some when I'm satisfied with its robustness.

Upvote 0
Nice to see some feedback on this, my fear was the same about the shape and material of the parts seemed to be justified. I have made some here with better materials and FEA optimized shape. At least on mine it does make a significant difference. Driving one without it feels way unnatural now...

The last iteration has now been running for months now for myself and friends. If you are interested I might start selling some when I'm satisfied with its robustness.
Pics please :giggle:

Upvote 0
I too purchased the V3 shown in the previous post. The piece which provides the resistance (they call it a cursor) broke after about 25 gentle shifts in ATS. I have asked them for a replacement ... we'll see how responsive they are.
Ken

Attachments

• 2KS_2372a.jpg
    2KS_2372a.jpg
    964.5 KB · Views: 1,594
Upvote 0
yeah, though the resistance gets lower with the use, since it's a metal shaft over a plasting rubbing over and over on each gear you make but still is a good product and the gated case is really nice. It makes it a new H shifter, from 2nd to 3rd you really have to get into that position and not just throw it. And you can't make shifts with just your finger, you have to use the hand, it's really nice. now they send you spare parts, so it's definitely a yes.

Upvote 0

Latest News

To join the OverTake Racing Club races I want them to be: (multiple choice)

• Free to access

Votes: 95 91.3%
  • Better structured events

Votes: 17 16.3%
  • Better structured racing club forum

Votes: 16 15.4%
  • More use of default game content

Votes: 12 11.5%
  • More use of fixed setups

Votes: 29 27.9%
  • No 3rd party registration pages

Votes: 36 34.6%