Going from AMD to Nvidia.....cross my fingers

So what gains will I see going from AMD to Nvidia , my list of what I have now: GPU: 2-R9290 , CPU: AMD FX 9370 , Motherboard: Asus Crosshair Formula V , Memory DDR 3 16 GB Corsair Vengance 1866 .Monitors 3-47 inch HDTV.
Switching to : GPU : 2- Gigabyte Geforce 980TI OC 6GB, CPU: I5 6600K, Motherboard MSI Z170 A Gaming 7, Memory DDR 4 16 GB G Skill RipJaw 16 GB 2400 using the same monitors as listed above.

I went from an AMD FX 8350 to an Intel i5 4960 and have been very please with the FPS increase I saw with my AMD R9 290x especially in iracing.com, in fact all round performance has been noticeably improved since the swap early this year so you should be pleased with the results mate.

Jason.

Upvote 0
Imo going SLi or Crossfire is not worth it, for the money you have to spend for two cards you could easily buy a smashing single GPU, without having to deal with microstutter and things alike.
Btw. what resolution the monitors have? 4K?
2x980 TI GTX (you mean two of them right?) seems a little bit like a overkill.
As a wild guess: if it isnt for 4K resolution or higher, there will be no big difference, imo not too that amount to justify the money your are willing to spend.

(that is only my envy speaking, have fun, real nice hardware you choose)

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Imo going SLi or Crossfire is not worth it, for the money you have to spend for two cards you could easily buy a smashing single GPU, without having to deal with microstutter and things alike.
As a wild guess: if it isnt for 4K resolution or higher, there will be no big difference, imo not too that amount to justify the money your are willing to spend.

My resolution presently is (5880x1080) Yes 2xGigabyte Geforce 980 TI OC . I'm' just future proofing so when the 4K 48 inch monitor go lower on price I'll be ready .

Upvote 0
So what gains will I see going from AMD to Nvidia , my list of what I have now: GPU: 2-R9290 , CPU: AMD FX 9370 , Motherboard: Asus Crosshair Formula V , Memory DDR 3 16 GB Corsair Vengance 1866 .Monitors 3-47 inch HDTV.
Switching to : GPU : 2- Gigabyte Geforce 980TI OC 6GB, CPU: I5 6600K, Motherboard MSI Z170 A Gaming 7, Memory DDR 4 16 GB G Skill RipJaw 16 GB 2400 using the same monitors as listed above.

No need to cross fingers, in fact, you'll be so surprised that you'll never go back to AMD again.

Upvote 0

Micro-stutter really isn't an issue. The only real issue with SLI is that not all games support it which means that if you buy two flagship video cards, it sucks to have one sitting idle in a demanding game when you need it.

Upvote 0
Imo going SLi or Crossfire is not worth it, for the money you have to spend for two cards you could easily buy a smashing single GPU

It all depends on the money you have/want to spend really. It's better to drop 2 mid-range cards and go for one amazing. But when you want to dish out that much money, I don't see the issue!

PS: I am not completely neutral. Have 2x 980GTX myself!

Upvote 0
The game using two gtx 980 ti oc isn't to be existing for some years....So yes you are futureproof.

If you have time to admire the landscape, you are not fast enough....
No just joking.
glad to hear that some guys are visited by Santa. For me he only brought bills for a broken car.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I made the switch from 2x R9 290x to one single 980TI G1 and got much better framerates in Pcars and Assetto Corsa at 5760x1080

My advice would be : Only buy one video card and see if the performance is enough for you now.

A videocard purchase is never futureproof and when in 2016 the new Nvidia cards come out you might have wished you had saved that extra 700 for buying that one instead of a second 980TI.
http://wccftech.com/nvidia-generation-pascal-gpu-feature-3d-stacked-memory-nvlink-1-tbs-bandwith/

I

Upvote 0

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back