Giving up VR (rift s) for 34" monitor

Hello guys,

i'm seriously thinking about giving up VR because of general bluriness in most sim titles apart from AMS 2 which looks decent enough..i was thinking to go 34" ultrawide monitor since triples are not an option for me..

i'm looking for help from the community to make the final decision.
thanks

i have a ryzen 7 3700X | RTX 3060Ti | 16GB Ram |

Last edited:
Hello guys,

i'm seriously thinking about giving up VR because of general bluriness in most sim titles apart from AMS 2 which looks decent enough..i was thinking to go 34" ultrawide monitor since triples are not an option for me..

i'm looking for help from the community to make the final decision.
thanks

i have a ryzen 7 3700X | RTX 3060Ti | 16GB Ram |
I'm using a 34" 1440p dell aw3418dw.
100 Hz native, 120 Hz oc.
IPS, good colours, true gsync.

But the market got a bit bigger in the last 2 years so I would recommend one of the 8bit + frc or true 10 bit freesync/gsync-compatible monitors.

I would still recommend IPS panels, since VA panels imo have some motion blur issues for racing.

LG has some good ones!

My current choice would be:
LG UltraGear 34GN850-B

Here's a list from a German comparison site. The filters should apply due to the long link :)

Curved vs flat: imo for gaming, curved is very nice. A friend has a flat ultrawide and honestly it looks a bit like it would be curved the opposite way. The corners are just really off with their viewing angle...

Monitor vs vr:
These 34" 1440p monitors are super sharp. Awesome image quality!
I come from a 27" 1080p standard monitor and while it was decent, the difference is massive when reading texts or editing photos.

You can't replace sitting in the car 3D though, ofc.
But I had an oculus rift for 2 months and while it was a nice experience, it didn't activated the "no vr no buy" chromosome in my brain ;)

I prefer racing with a crystal clear monitor. But to experience the tracks and cars in "real life size" was awesome. Just nothing I'd need all the time...

• Deleted member 197115

If you can't go for 49" Samsung, at least push to 38".
This is a very good one, besides size a better monitor than G9.

If you can't go for 49" Samsung, at least push to 38".
This is a very good one, besides size a better monitor than G9.
Yeah that's the successor to the one I posted hehe. Basically identical, just everything a bit "more".
I wasn't sure if it might be too big or too many pixels to power with his gpu.
Great monitor though and I'll definitely get one whenever I'm gonna upgrade.

(my dell has some colour banding due to only being 8 bit, no fcr and no hdr support...)

• Deleted member 197115

Yeah that's the successor to the one I posted hehe. Basically identical, just everything a bit "more".
I wasn't sure if it might be too big or too many pixels to power with his gpu.
Great monitor though and I'll definitely get one whenever I'm gonna upgrade.

(my dell has some colour banding due to only being 8 bit, no fcr and no hdr support...)
It's great IPS panel, HDR, FreeSync, great color accuracy after calibration, good enough for photo editing.
Samsung VA is only good for sim-racing gaming, nothing else. Besides the size, pretty mediocre with everything else. Wish LG had larger UltraWide. They have gorgeous 48" CX OLED that can fill the gap but my experience with big format 16:9 monitors is that they don't work that well in desktop setup, you always have to look up.

i'm seriously thinking about giving up VR
That sound so dramatic, is there a rule in your house that it has to be one or the other?
Most VR user have both, with a screen right behind the wheel base and can drive on either.
Both solution have issues and advantages.
Assuming you only have a small and old screen at the moment. a 34 inch of decent quality placed behind your wheel base should do the job just fine. After all pancake, in any size, is just pancake. :D
You will get back to VR soon enough.

That sound so dramatic, is there a rule in your house that it has to be one or the other?
Most VR user have both, with a screen right behind the wheel base and can drive on either.
Both solution have issues and advantages.
Assuming you only have a small and old screen at the moment. a 34 inch of decent quality placed behind your wheel base should do the job just fine. After all pancake, in any size, is just pancake. :D
You will get back to VR soon enough.
Although I often play in VR, (I still have a oculus Rift.) I do like the Cristal clear image I get with my triple screen setup. it still is pancake but the experience is less pancake due to the side screens.

it still is pancake but the experience is less pancake due to the side screens.

Totally agree, triple is a fantastic way to enjoy driving a sim. The immersion is not as dramatic as VR, but you can get a believable FOV and sense of what happens around you, it would be my favorite if not for VR.

Last edited:

Latest News

What's needed for simracing in 2024?

• More games, period

• Better graphics/visuals

• Advanced physics and handling

• More cars and tracks

• AI improvements

• AI engineering

• Cross-platform play

• New game Modes

• Other, post your idea