Gap to opponents

But it needs to be said that the gap dispaly is the most useless thing in simracing history.
Well, R3E is a tough competitor for that award, tho.
In AC or the fact that gap timing for opponents exists?

If you're referring to the bottom bar with F9 shortcut.. but there's a Real Timing app natively in the game that shows this info differently, not by sectors/lap, and also shows yours and some opponents lap times.

Oh wow, Kunos never fails to surprise me.
So i enabled the Real Time plugin and took the car for a spin in a quick race.

So after crashing and fiddling around with the plugins while on track (because Kunos doesn't want us to change any settings when we aren't actually racing) i was able to witness the most ridiculous thing i've ever seen in AC.

So coming out of the last corner and blasting down the S/F straight the gap to the guy in front of me drops vom 24 to 11 just to shoot up to 30 after T1. I don't know how this Real Time thing works, but it's laughable at best :)

So initially you gained on him on the straight, then the gap increased because he pulled away again after turn 1.
The gap time numbers weren't correct with the distance on track between the cars? Can you quickly video record it next time?

If I let opponents drive and I remain on grid at race start, the gap numbers go crazy high. Then as I start driving they decrease and when I go at normal race speeds the gap normalizes completely.
Then when they pass me 1 lap, some opponents have positive gap and some negative gap, because some are ahead and some behind.

The only thing needed in this situation is colors for the gaps to tell you who's ahead in laps and who you are ahead of in laps.

But other than that (being stationary with your car), the Realtime app works as it should.

It uses lap 1 to guess how long you'll take to drive any given sector of the track (well more specifically it uses your previous laps, but on lap 2 it's only using lap 1), if you screw around on lap 1 you'll screw up the guesses. For example, it thinks that you stop for 40 seconds on the front straight so it guesses that you'll lose 40 seconds there on lap 2 also. In more equal conditions (both driving as fast as possible) this is the most accurate way to get reasonable gap estimates during actual mistakes (if a car slows down, your gap can immediately narrow, whereas if it just used 'relative times you hit the current sector' it'll take a couple seconds to react). The only better option is what iRacing does: allow no modding, preprogram sector times for every car and every track.

Realtime calculates the gap with relativity between speed and distance and only that so thats why if you're going on a straight to a tight corner, it seems to shrink and increase after the corner. It's not that accurate if there's a gap more than 3+ sec's.

After racing a lot in AC, the best way i found out to keep track of gaps with the stock apps is to check Realtime for those who i'm racing against closely and check the F9 leaderboard thingy when i'm crossing the S/F line. This needs doing math on top of your head during the race tho, but it works for me

Ps. Forgot to check the date of OP, so this reply may be completely unnecessary:roflmao:

Last edited:

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back