G29 on the way!

So I finally did it, I've ordered a G29 to replace my ancient Logitech Momo Racing Wheel. What should I expect? I have the Magnetic Shifter Mod on order but want to wait on any brake mods until I try out the new pedals. Any set-up tips? I only race AC at this time. TIA!

I've ordered a G29 to replace my ancient Logitech Momo Racing Wheel. What should I expect?
I was surprised to find no Internet comparisons between Logitech's G series and Momo Racing.
For sure, G offers stronger feedback, more rotation and nicer pedals.
I have the Magnetic Shifter Mod on order but want to wait on any brake mods until I try out the new pedals.
Check out Karl Gosling's wine bottle cork brake hack

Any set-up tips? I only race AC at this time.
I suppose you know about RasmusP's LUT Guide for G27/29 and DFGT.

If you were able to detect understeer with the Momo, then dialing in your G29 should be easy,
since more feedback and reportedly lower mechanical resistance.
My personal preference is to minimize other effects that might interfere with
feedback for understeer, oversteer and weight transfer.

FWIW, to tune new (to me) car suspensions or steering feedback in AC, I use Skidpad.
Once understeer and trailing throttle oversteer are dialed in,
then use Clarksville figure 8 to dial in e.g. steering degrees and gamma (as a fan of variable ratio steering).

Upvote 0
I was surprised to find no Internet comparisons between Logitech's G series and Momo Racing.
For sure, G offers stronger feedback, more rotation and nicer pedals.
Check out Karl Gosling's wine bottle cork brake hack

I suppose you know about RasmusP's LUT Guide for G27/29 and DFGT.

If you were able to detect understeer with the Momo, then dialing in your G29 should be easy,
since more feedback and reportedly lower mechanical resistance.
My personal preference is to minimize other effects that might interfere with
feedback for understeer, oversteer and weight transfer.

FWIW, to tune new (to me) car suspensions or steering feedback in AC, I use Skidpad.
Once understeer and trailing throttle oversteer are dialed in,
then use Clarksville figure 8 to dial in e.g. steering degrees and gamma (as a fan of variable ratio steering).

Thanks! I do know about the LUT Guide and will look into that when the wheel arrives. I did not know about the wine cork mod, Lord knows I have enough of those! Skidpad looks like just the ticket for dialing in suspensions.

Thanks again.

Upvote 0
Skidpad looks like just the ticket for dialing in suspensions.
Certainly, for tuning swaybars, alignment and a first shot at spring rates and tire pressures,
while the figure 8 can help sort shocks and fine tune springs and tires.

Meanwhile, using Skidpad to put cars deliberately and more or less constantly into under- or oversteer
helps adjust and learn force feedback. Before that, I had been unable to anticipate or mitigate slides.

Upvote 0
FFS! I have never had so much trouble installing a wheel. The wheel is either tight as hell and hard to turn or totally loose and turns too easily. There are no FF effects. AC will let me map the steering wheel and the brake pedal, but the throttle maps to axis 3 and the clutch maps to the throttle! I have deleted everything Logitech from the registry, removed the old Wingman software and the new G software. New drivers, old drivers, nothing works. One more day of this crap and the wheel goes back.

Upvote 0
new G software. New drivers, old drivers, nothing works.
Stick with Logitech Gaming Software, rather than Hub..
Replacing drivers can be tricky.
Windows may report newest drivers installed and discourage replacing.
Verify Windows installation using joy.cpl
I have never had so much trouble installing a wheel.
Deep breath. I recommend using the Assetto Corsa's configuration wizard to assign wheel and pedals,
which will involve invert.

Upvote 0
Stick with Logitech Gaming Software, rather than Hub..
Replacing drivers can be tricky.
Windows may report newest drivers installed and discourage replacing.
Verify Windows installation using joy.cpl

Deep breath. I recommend using the Assetto Corsa's configuration wizard to assign wheel and pedals,
which will involve invert.

Many, Many deep breaths...I don't know what combination of Registry Cleaner/G Hub software install/Configuration Wizard and Hair-Pulling worked, but I finally have a functioning wheel! YES!

I still have some issues, like I cannot get the clutch to work in AC. Inverted or not, if I have it on it's like driving with a slipping clutch. I have it disabled for now. The brake pedal will take some getting used to, but what an improvement over the old Momo Driving Force :)

Thanks for the encouragement...it's greatly appreciated!

Upvote 0
I still have some issues, like I cannot get the clutch to work in AC. Inverted or not, if I have it on it's like driving with a slipping clutch. I
Theres sliders you need to adjust in the axis settings. Minimum and maximum travel...

The "to" and "from" need to be adjusted to your needs.

Attachments

• bandicam 2020-09-27 15-03-57-305.png
    bandicam 2020-09-27 15-03-57-305.png
    731.5 KB · Views: 40
Upvote 0
I cannot get the clutch to work in AC. Inverted or not, if I have it on it's like driving with a slipping clutch
I had that problem once, where the clutch was defaulting to half-pedal.
That was corrected by re-running G29 calibration in joy.cpl,
although Assetto Corsa also allows dial in a dead zone.

The brake pedal will take some getting used to

Dialing some dead zone and gamma in Assetto Corsa can help the brake
feel more pressure sensitive, although with long travel.

Upvote 0

Latest News

What's needed for simracing in 2024?

• More games, period

• Better graphics/visuals

• Advanced physics and handling

• More cars and tracks

• AI improvements

• AI engineering

• Cross-platform play

• New game Modes

• Other, post your idea