Fuel consumption

Well, offcourse the amount of fuel consumed is also related to the way you drive. Just as in real life there is a certain way to drive in the most economic way. For instance allowing the truck to roll out and not braking on the engine when approaching a traffic light will save fuel. Switching gear in time will also help. Most tachometers have a green bar along side it to indicate the most economic rpm you should drive with. Basicly the skill points you get that are fuel related are all applied when hauling a trailer.

Well, offcourse the amount of fuel consumed is also related to the way you drive. Just as in real life there is a certain way to drive in the most economic way. For instance allowing the truck to roll out and not braking on the engine when approaching a traffic light will save fuel.

mmm, why?
engine brake doesn't use gasoline
when throttle pedal is lift, gasoline doesn't go in the cylynders

Switching gear in time will also help. Most tachometers have a green bar along side it to indicate the most economic rpm you should drive with.

that is the better engine torque

Basicly the skill points you get that are fuel related are all applied when hauling a trailer.

so almost always

this feature is too much arcade for me ;)

mmm, why?
engine brake doesn't use gasoline
when throttle pedal is lift, gasoline doesn't go in the cylynders

that is the better engine torque

so almost always

this feature is too much arcade for me ;)
well, if you let your truck coast while having the engine engaged to the wheels through the transmission the engine rpm will match the wheel speed. Because of the way a diesel engine works it will allow for more fuel to be drawn regardless the throttle position. (from wikipedia: Diesel engined vehicles do not have a throttle. Diesel engines regulate power output purely by the volume and timing of fuel injected into the cylinders combustion chambers. The engine braking generated by creating partial vacuum with a closed throttle at each intake stroke in petrol/gasoline engines does not apply to diesel engined vehicles). So letting the engine idle when coming up to a stop by engaging the clutch is more economic. Because of this the green bar on the tacho is also used to run the most economic. It indicates the best way to utilise the most torque while using the least amount of fuel. As for the skills...I just had a look at the economy data and it also applies when you are running empty. Besides that I'm sure I can mod it out if you want.

well, if you let your truck coast while having the engine engaged to the wheels through the transmission the engine rpm will match the wheel speed. Because of the way a diesel engine works it will allow for more fuel to be drawn regardless the throttle position.

but if the gas pedal (i don't know if it is the correct name) is at zero (lift) no fuel go to the cylinders

(from wikipedia: Diesel engined vehicles do not have a throttle. Diesel engines regulate power output purely by the volume and timing of fuel injected into the cylinders combustion chambers. The engine braking generated by creating partial vacuum with a closed throttle at each intake stroke in petrol/gasoline engines does not apply to diesel engined vehicles).
[/quote]

yes you are right, i used wrong terms

[quote="Marcel vd Aa, post: 1361475, member: 965"
So letting the engine idle when coming up to a stop by engaging the clutch is more economic.
[/quote]

i don't understand, if the gas pedal is at zero coming to a stop, the fuel consumption should be zero

[quote="Marcel vd Aa, post: 1361475, member: 965"
Because of this the green bar on the tacho is also used to run the most economic. It indicates the best way to utilise the most torque while using the least amount of fuel. As for the skills...I just had a look at the economy data and it also applies when you are running empty. Besides that I'm sure I can mod it out if you want. [/quote]

no thanks, I don't use skill points for fuel consumption

You're right, had to look it up...got a bit confused. Modern engine management systems make the engine use less fuel when coasting in gear with the clutch disengaged. Once the clutch is engaged the engine management system will add fuel to let the engine run at a stationary rpm. Usually at a higher rpm than when your are coasting with the throttle at idle so this is less economic. The question remains if this is simulated well enough in the game though.

There is nothing realistic about the way the trucks drive period, so I doubt very much any effort was spent on the fuel consumption method.

That said it is a fun game with trucks in it, and I enjoy it.

Do not waste the bandwidth in your brain cells worrying about realism and this game, just enjoy yourself playing with the trucks and trailers.

and btw, the new Actros MP4 we have at work has Opti-Roll which basically is like pressing down the clutch to dis-engage all the drivetrain when off the throttle more than a couple of seconds, works fine, but in reality the truck is doing exactly the same MPG (and less) as our old Renault Premiums and Scanias with nearly a million KM on them !!

(that would be the Euro 5 constraints strangling the economy/power in the name of no good reason)

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back