Free Content, Future Development and Stefano Casillo Interview (Part 2)

Paul Jeffrey

Premium
Assetto Corsa Interview Free Content.jpg

We spoke at length with Stefano Casillo of Kunos Simulazioni about Assetto Corsa, some new free content incoming and all things racing...

The Sim Racing Expo was a wonderful opportunity for sim racers, developers, hardware manufacturers and the media to get together to celebrate the wonderful hobby we call sim racing. Thanks to the great access and atmosphere of the event we had the opportunity to chat with one of the key figures behind Assetto Corsa, Stefano Casillo, and he was more than happy to give us an insight into the behind the scenes workings at Kunos, plus revealing some exciting new free content coming to Assetto Corsa in the near future.

You can check out the interview below:

Originally planned as part of a standard paid DLC, Kunos scheduled the highly anticipated laser scanned version of Laguna Seca to release alongside a pack of new performance road cars for the simulation. Unfortunately due to unforeseen circumstances the launch of Laguna hit one or two delays against the original schedule, slipping to much further in the calendar year that was the intention when the announcement was first hinted at several months ago.

In something of a generous gesture from Kunos, the popular Italian developers have decided to release both circuit and accompanying cars to the base game for free, bringing with it a very popular drivers circuit and six new cars to the title.

The confirmed free bonus pack DLC will contain:
  • Laguna Seca Circuit
  • Alfa Rome Giulia QV
  • Alfa Romeo 33 Stradale
  • Lamborghini Sesto Elemento
  • Lamborghini Huracan Performante
  • Maserati Quattroporte
  • Pagani Huayra BC
No exact release date has been confirmed by Kunos, however it is expected that players will be in receipt of the new content before the end of 2017.

If you missed it earlier, don't forget to check out our previous interview with Stefano where we talk about the new update and Ferrari Celebration DLC.

Assetto Corsa is available for Xbox One, PlayStation 4 and PC now.

Assetto Corsa and online racing = Love! Check out our brilliant Assetto Corsa League and Club racing forum for great racing events suitable for all skills and experiences. We host regular events using popular content and guarantee a great time for all. Additionally we have a very active sub forum for the game where players can catch up on the latest news and engage with fellow community members here at RD. You can download mods from our modding archive, discuss W.I.P projects in our Modding Discussion Forum and try out a selection of car setups for a wide range of vehicles. Come on, get yourself involved in the action today!

Happy to see more free content coming to Assetto Corsa? Which car most grabs your attention from the list above? Let us know in the comments section below!

Last edited by a moderator:
Rain in PCARS2 is needed anyway so they can simulate dry asphalt grip :D

Yep, pretty pointless. It's what I don't get with some people in the sim community, they make you think that weather is the most important thing ever, but then some game like PC2 makes a bad implementation of it (looks beautiful, yes) and they don't mind at all. I wonder why do they play sims after all.

OK, Stefano's English might not be Cambridge-level ;), but even for me, another non-native speaker, it was blatantly clear, that he was referring to their "next" product when talking about rain and weather. He couldn't have been more literal than that.

Proton, the only guy here who misunderstood that part of interview seems to be you.

Yep, pretty pointless. It's what I don't get with some people in the sim community, they make you think that weather is the most important thing ever, but then some game like PC2 makes a bad implementation of it (looks beautiful, yes) and they don't mind at all. I wonder why do they play sims after all.

TBH rain in NK-pro was a nice gift from Stefano...

I knew I was going to regret it :D
Some people obviously don't get your sense of humour mate... is all.

I thought people in the UK were known for talking about rain a lot....
Then I logged in here... :D

I found it hilarious that you said whatever our next project is... There has to be night and rain...
For your next project...
You should also make it so you CAN'T HAVE either Sunshine or Daytime modes :D

So, just as a note: We've asked for some of the features Stefano mentions here, and always received responses from forum 'contributors' like: 'No.' 'They already said they weren't going to add these features, so why ask?' 'Why do people always whine about features, the answer is no.'

You guys know who you are. So, here we have a response from the Kunos guys themselves saying, "The features will come. We know we have to add them. We know the competition is stiff and we must compete."

So there you have it. So why all the 'NO' responses on the forums?

Sooooo, stop doing that. Thanks.
On many occasions I would happen to mention my hopes/wishes for this feature or that feature to eventually be a part of AC. In response to pretty much all of my posts, someone (a naysayer) on this forum would quickly reply with: 'Kunos already said they're not adding rain so why whine about it" or another response I get is simply: 'NO" or even still I get a response like: "Dude, be happy with what you have. Why come on here and complain?"

So, simply put, my post is to those guys. Those naysayers. Why say this will not be added, or that will not be added, meanwhile Kunos just said they will add it?

I am not saying Kunos said anything other than what Stefano said in the video. The naysayers however continually say this feature or that feature will not come so don't ask.

So I've asked them here to please not do that.
Yeah, you bet. Happy to make you laugh.
That's what I got from what he said. His point was that recent releases put them in a position to have to raise their own bar. They will need to play a bit of catch up. I believe it's what he meant. He brought up the issue of rain. Not me. Anyway, what would the point be of proving me wrong? Just to prove me wrong?
Who cares?
Look, Kunos can not add rain for all I care. But in the end, do they really want us to play other games for this feature? If they do, then fine. We will do that. But how smart of a move would that be?
Haha. You are a very strange person, I must say. Who can understand what the heck you're talking about?
Ok. Whew. So, when we talk to you, or hear you speak in a video, we can compare you to Kaz from Polyphony then? Say something, but mean something else.

And honestly, from your tone, I must say that I think the asinine comments and trolling on various forums actually start with you. It appears posters actually follow YOUR lead. I can see this now. But, so be it.

On a final note: The more you post, the more you sound like Ian Bell from SMS. He's offended so many people. Basically a rude guy. You are the same. I have no respect for you or Kunos anymore.

These forums are a complete waste of time and now I know why. Because the developers themselves are not quality people.
Right. And they're stupid, because according to you it's better to not have it.
Please explain to my why the reasoning behind the following statements "No Assetto Corsa will not receive rain/dynamic weather/night" and "Our next title will receive rain and night" is so problematic to grasp for you.

Their current game Assetto Corsa has certain software limitations regarding the graphics engine (built in-house) in order to prioritise performance over graphics, a conscious decision they made years ago when starting on this project. Then add to that that they have limited resources, a small team of developers that don't come from AAA studios - that they're stating "no" simply means it doesn't make financial sense to rework the entire game for these features, such a change doesn't happen overnight and doesn't come in cheap.

They've heard the feedback and see where the market is going and decided that they have to implemented new technologies for their next project, whatever that may be. Far easier to design and build the next game from the ground up for the expanded feature set than try to implement it into an existing product.

So, what's so hard to understand here?

I have a doubt, this DLC bonus will mark what would be the final version of Assetto? no longer receiving content or anything of the kind? I'm not asking for badness but only that in case Laguna is the last track added and with the cancel of the BMW M6 well and all the things,if this would not be a movement thinking of a new IP

Well i think the point @Chobonator tried to make is if Kunos hires them then they would have to pay them so why would they do that if they're creating mods for free? lol .....well at least most of them.

There are way too many modders for AC, i think the workshop would be a mess. Plus you have all the people doing rips (which i don't really mind) but wouldn't be allowed on the workshop. I personally like it the way it is.

U deserve a medal sr... :roflmao::roflmao:

But a workshop would be great with only skins, soundmods and apps allowed.
I know cars and tracks can be a problem, but i understand your point.

OK, Stefano's English might not be Cambridge-level ;), but even for me, another non-native speaker, it was blatantly clear, that he was referring to their "next" product when talking about rain and weather. He couldn't have been more literal than that.

Proton, the only guy here who misunderstood that part of interview seems to be you.
Yeah, so dumb. Thanks.

Rain will come to Assetto. Either this version or the next. It will come. Or they will be the 'No Feature' simulator. Which they are pretty close to being already. Watch the video again and you will hear him make the point. But, like I said, if he is Kaz, then perhaps you say one thing but mean something else.

Now back on topic :thumbsup:

Oh and while I am posting, guys please remain civil during this discussion please. Some of the personal comments are a bit too much, of which I will be editing in a moment.

Come on, we sometimes fall in the trap of acting like children and it is bloody stupid. No need at all.

Edit: moderating comments pee's me off and swallows up time I simply don't have when I've got stuff to write up. Please make this a place where it isn't actually needed, that would be awesome :)

I'm not sure I remember what the options were and it's currently uninstalled so I can't check. To be fair there might have been some artifacts on the edges of fast moving objects, but again I don't remember clearly. All I know is the game looked quite good and I didn't see anything fundamentally wrong with the graphics engine.
Hopefully someone else will know.

Rain in PCARS2 is needed anyway so they can simulate dry asphalt grip :D
iRenting, not even once.

Please explain to my why the reasoning behind the following statements "No Assetto Corsa will not receive rain/dynamic weather/night" and "Our next title will receive rain and night" is so problematic to grasp for you.

Their current game Assetto Corsa has certain software limitations regarding the graphics engine (built in-house) in order to prioritise performance over graphics, a conscious decision they made years ago when starting on this project. Then add to that that they have limited resources, a small team of developers that don't come from AAA studios - that they're stating "no" simply means it doesn't make financial sense to rework the entire game for these features, such a change doesn't happen overnight and doesn't come in cheap.

They've heard the feedback and see where the market is going and decided that they have to implemented new technologies for their next project, whatever that may be. Far easier to design and build the next game from the ground up for the expanded feature set than try to implement it into an existing product.

So, what's so hard to understand here?
Nothing. Rain will come to Assetto Corsa. What's so hard to understand about that? I'm sorry you wasted so much time on such a long post.

i dont care about road cars in any sim not only assetto.what i need is a ferrari racing pack like the porsche with the 512,333 sp,550 gtc(gt1 car) or the 575 gt1,312 pb,f40 lm,488 gte and plenty more.plz kunos consider to release the cars that were for voting.

Latest News

What's needed for simracing in 2024?

• More games, period

• Better graphics/visuals

• Advanced physics and handling

• More cars and tracks

• AI improvements

• AI engineering

• Cross-platform play

• New game Modes

• Other, post your idea

Results are only viewable after voting.