Franz Tost on Daniel Ricciardo

OverTake.gg

Administrator
Staff
Toro Rosso team principle Franz Tost has admitted he wants Daniel Ricciardo to stay with the marque, warning a move to Red Bull would be a "rough ride."

The young Australian is in the contention for the seat of the departing Mark Webber. Also in the mix is Kimi Raikkonen, and rumours have surfaced regarding double world champion Fernando Alonso.

"Personally," he admitted, "I would rather see him get another year in the maturing process at Toro Rosso.

"I mean, we are talking here about Red Bull Racing, the champion team of the last three years," Tost explained.

"Daniel has never been on a formula one podium, he has not won a race -- because our car was not good enough.

"That's the only negative I see for him. Otherwise, I think he will have great successes in formula one."

Tost said that Daniel is in a similar situation that Seb was when he left for Red Bull, however the destination team is in a vastly changed state to what it was.

"The biggest difference between Vettel and Ricciardo was that Vettel went to Red Bull when it was not a winning team. They grew up together.

"So if you want to be the new kid on the block you better have all these facts in mind and show even more commitment to come at least close to Seb. That will be a rough ride.

"But Ricciardo must immediately be on the podium and fighting for wins.

"I think that analysis has shown that Daniel is going strong so far - especially in qualifying - that he has raised his game continuously and there is still half the season go where he can gain even more experience," Tost explained.

Franz's advice to Daniel is rather simple.

"I told him that he's got six months now - if Red Bull Racing picks you - to prepare for 2014 and never forgetting along that way that in 2014 you will be the team mate of a three-time champion," Tost added. "Prepare mentally..."

Image: Zimbio
View the Post on the Blog

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest News

What's needed for simracing in 2024?

• More games, period

• Better graphics/visuals

• Advanced physics and handling

• More cars and tracks

• AI improvements

• AI engineering

• Cross-platform play