FPS drops (GPU Usage 100%)

Hey,
I dont know how to get rfactor2 work like my other sims.
My Setup:
Intel i5-10400F (ingame clocked at +-/ 4.0GHz)
nVidia 1060 6GB
12GB RAM
TripleScreen(3x27inch, 5760x1080 resolution)

I get 99%-100% GPU usage on track and f.e. when drive 24H Nordschleife, after finished the part of the Nurburgring and enter the "Nordschleife" the stuttering and fps drops get more and more (maybe rendering problems with the huge landscape and trees ?)

Already turned down all Graphic Settings in rf2, disable post processing, AA 2x ,...
nvidia control center all stock, activate GSYNC, but dont know if its working ?!

At AC, R3E,AMS2 I can race with 40-60fps with +/- Mid Settings.

Is there any workaround for this fps drops or should I upgrade GPU ?

Thank you very much.
I set fps framelimit in RivaTuner to 60fps, tried with and without vsync off, turned all graphic settings to low - still the same.
Then I turned down Display Hz from 144hz to 75 - then it get better, but after 2 rounds, fps drops still dropping back from about 60-75fps to 30fps for many seconds! So I would say my problem is no micro stuttering :-(
any other solution ?

Bit late to this but RF2 also has a GPU usage bug which shows up most often on the Nordschleife especially when you use the endurance layout.

You can start a race and in my case I'm getting 100fps plus (running maxed out 4k, 5800x3d, 3080, 32gig ram) at the rolling start, mid pack, 27 AI cars, drive the track and it will be fine. GPU utilisation will drop and the FPS go up as you leave the GP circuit.

However if you do a restart you've got a 50-50 chance your frame rate will drop through the floor. 30-45fps with the GPU locked at 99% utilisation. Restarting the race may fix it but most of the time it stays the same or gets worse. Best way to clear it is restart the game. It happens on some of the other tracks but Nordschleife endurance is the worst.

How many cars are you running? On my rig (1650 4GB, 16GB RAM, old Xeon CPU) I cant run more than 18 on some tracks with a lot of detail ( like the pit area at Nurburgring?) CPU cant handle it.

Last edited:
You can start a race and in my case I'm getting 100fps plus (running maxed out 4k, 5800x3d, 3080, 32gig ram) at the rolling start, mid pack, 27 AI cars, drive the track and it will be fine. GPU utilisation will drop and the FPS go up as you leave the GP circuit.

However if you do a restart you've got a 50-50 chance your frame rate will drop through the floor. 30-45fps with the GPU locked at 99% utilisation. Restarting the race may fix it but most of the time it stays the same or gets worse. Best way to clear it is restart the game. It happens on some of the other tracks but Nordschleife endurance is the worst.
I have exact the same PC config and suffer heave frame drops with BTCC cars on Thruxton. It becomes unplayable.. From above 100 it drops to 30-45 fps. exactly like you described

But since it was a year ago, maybe there is a solution in meantime ??

Thanks

I have exact the same PC config and suffer heave frame drops with BTCC cars on Thruxton. It becomes unplayable.. From above 100 it drops to 30-45 fps. exactly like you described

But since it was a year ago, maybe there is a solution in meantime ??

Thanks
From another thread, actually from the LMU forum, reducing your car's detail seemed to help more than reducing all the other cars. Try lowering your own car's detail and see if that helps.

Thanks will try. So conclusion is - there engine is crap …. I mean I am able to run every other sim with much more cars and better visuals overal
Put a dollar in the jar! Every time somebody says they can run every other sim, rF2 is different, it just is. rF2 is churning physics at extreme rates and layers of shaders with tires that have hundreds of contact points vs 1, 3, maybe 5 that I think ACC bragged about upgrading to a year or so ago.

Put a dollar in the jar! Every time somebody says they can run every other sim, rF2 is different, it just is. rF2 is churning physics at extreme rates and layers of shaders with tires that have hundreds of contact points vs 1, 3, maybe 5 that I think ACC bragged about upgrading to a year or so ago.
Part of the problem with RF2 is the inconsistency of it.

You can literally start a race 4K Max settings hit 90+ fps, have a moment restart the race and it will be struggling to hit 50. Restart again and maybe it will be 25, or if you’re lucky 60 or 70. Restart the game back up to 90. You won’t be maxing out a CPU core causing a bottleneck there and you’ll have weird things like 99% GPU usage and 25fps and then 90fps at 75% GPU usage.

It seems to have a bug (and the same thing can happen in LMU) where it doesn’t free up resources after a restart. It’s annoying that it can run the game with higher settings unless it decides it doesn’t want to.

You can literally start a race 4K Max settings hit 90+ fps, have a moment restart the race and it will be struggling to hit 50. Restart again and maybe it will be 25, or if you’re lucky 60 or 70. Restart the game back up to 90. You won’t be maxing out a CPU core causing a bottleneck there and you’ll have weird things like 99% GPU usage and 25fps and then 90fps at 75% GPU usage.

It seems to have a bug (and the same thing can happen in LMU) where it doesn’t free up resources after a restart. It’s annoying that it can run the game with higher settings unless it decides it doesn’t want to.
So after another day with "my new hated love :D" the situation is as follows:

Everything is running fine, even the newer Indys or GTE´s or newest tracks" up do 30 cars except the BTCC cars.
Real extreme performance drops occur with BTCC cars. The problem seems to be the replay monitor and as soon as i switch trackside cam it´s all over.

I have disabled the auto monitor replay within the settings json stuff, and as long i am not using the replay option also the BTCC run´s fine.

So it´s a pity, but at least i can live with it.

Good points, one thing I'm suggesting, without any proof it works, is to clear the video card cache between sessions. And restarts? Sorry I forgot about those, I try not to do that much so the loss of fps hasn't hit me as much. Thanks for the reminder!

Another weird behavior experienced today. Inycar @long Beach as soon i watch a tracksid cam, the fps drops from about 90 to 30.
I discovered how to "recover" - switching back to a onboard cam and pressing the windows key makes the fps recover within 10-20 seconds.
What the hell is going on with this game :D

Another weird behavior experienced today. Inycar @long Beach as soon i watch a tracksid cam, the fps drops from about 90 to 30.
I discovered how to "recover" - switching back to a onboard cam and pressing the windows key makes the fps recover within 10-20 seconds.
What the hell is going on with this game :D
Trackside replay cameras has always had lower FPS than the other replay cameras. You can not judge performance with track side camera. It can be as much as 50% or more in some parts of the track. All other cameras give a good indication of performance.

Trackside replay cameras has always had lower FPS than the other replay cameras. You can not judge performance with track side camera. It can be as much as 50% or more in some parts of the track. All other cameras give a good indication of performance.
Seems so yes, but is it normal ? No
Maybe normal for rF2 :D

PC specs shoud handle it easily (RTX 3O8O, r58OOx3D, 32ram on m2SSD win1O

Last edited:

Latest News

What's needed for simracing in 2024?

• More games, period

• Better graphics/visuals

• Advanced physics and handling

• More cars and tracks

• AI improvements

• AI engineering