FM6 Forza Motorsport 6: Apex - Beta Release Date & Specs Released

Forza Motorsport 6 (Turn 10 Studios)

Paul Jeffrey

Premium
Forza 6 Apex Open Beta.jpg

Turn 10 Studios have today announced Forza Motorsport 6: Apex will enter open beta status on Thursday 5th May.

Forza 6: Apex marks the first foray into PC gaming for the long standing racing franchise, pitting the title against a rich field of racing games currently available to PC sim racers.

It will be an interesting experiment to see how the first attempt by Turn 10 to bring Forza to PC turns out. The studio have taken a unique approach to the move on to PC by offering Apex as a free title for users of the Windows 10 operating system.

Although somewhat sort on content in comparison to its console relatives, Apex will feature 63 vehicles and 20 track configurations across 6 unique locations. Seen as something of a toe in the water by the studio prior to full future releases of the Forza series coming to Windows and console machine in future.

"Forza Motorsport 6: Apex delivers a focused and curated single-player tour of Forza Motorsport’s best content, including authentic wheel-to-wheel action, unique automotive experiences, and constant rewards, all running on DirectX 12 at resolutions up to 4K. In the game, players will be able to dive into a new career mode anchored by a 12-event “Showcase Tour”, where players will race thrilling cars on circuits from across the globe. In addition, Apex’s new “Spotlight Series” events will challenge players with unique automotive events that will be updated on a regular basis. Along with a new set of Xbox Live achievements to earn worth 1000 gamerscore points, Apex players will find new mechanics to explore, including an all-new Race Points system that dares you to turn off the assists, develop your skills, and take on greater challenges."

As well as revealing a release date of May 5th for the game entering beta status, the studio have also confirmed continual support throughout the beta program with constant updates and eventual support for many racing wheel and pedal sets coming to the game at a later date.

Forza Motorsport 6: Apex System Requirements

Minimum

• Processor: Intel Core i3-4170 @ 3.7 Ghz
  • GPU: NVIDIA GeForce GT 740/Radeon R7 250X
  • HD Space: 30 GB
  • RAM: 8 GB
  • VRAM: 2GB
  • DirectX: DirectX 12
  • Suggested Input: Xbox One Controller

Recommended (60fps at 1080P)
  • Processor: Intel Core i7-3820 @3.6 Ghz
  • GPU: NVIDIA GeForce 970 / Radeon R9 290X
  • HD Space: 30 GB
  • RAM: 12 GB
  • VRAM: 4 GB

Ideal (60fps at 4K)

• Processor: Intel Core i7-6700k @ 4 Ghz
  • GPU: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 980ti / Radeon Fury X
  • HD Space: SSD + 30 GB
  • RAM: 16 GB
  • VRAM: 6+ GB

Forza Motorsport 6: Apex Release Trailer

Check out our RaceDepartment Forza Motorsport Forum for all the latest news and discussion regarding the racing franchise.

Forza Motorsport 6: Apex debuts on Windows 10 this year. Are you looking forward to playing the latest release of the hugely popular franchise? How do you think Forza will stack up alongside the wealth of PC racing titles already available? Let us know in the comments section below!

Can´t see in which folder Forza is installed. Can I install it into a custom folder?
BEFORE you download... goto your windows search (magnifying glass on task bar) and type in Storage... then choose Storage and change the 'New apps will save to:' to a location of your choosing, otherwise it will end up in a hidden folder on your OS drive.

The download actually goes to your 'Temp' folder first and installs in to the location defined as above. The contents of the temp folder for the app seem to be deleted after installation.

I want to like this. I really want to like this. But the performance is abysmal and it doesn't even recognize my Logitech Rumblepad. What kind of **** is this? It doesn't even let me set my resolution to 1920*1080 because it claims 2GB VRAM and 8GB is not enough.

Last edited:
Well I've downloaded it and had a couple of drives now.
Took a while to download even though I'm on 200Mbps....
It's not a bad looking game @ 3840x2160. I'm maxed out with graphics quality (on 2x 980Ti's)
I wouldn't say it was as pretty as PCars.
The sound effects were pathetic.
No wheel support as yet, hopefully that will happen before too long.
It's a freebie, so I'm not going to complain about much as it will no doubt improve given time.
Hats off to MS for giving me a free game.
I'll be keeping my eye on it......

Downloading ... as a freebie, one can't really complain.

Sure you can. I dont know where this notion came from that if you are giving something at no cost, or even little cost, that whoever gave it to you is absolved of any and all criticism.

Firstly, reports on the performance front are less than promising. Cant say this is a surprise whatsoever though seeing how atrocious the rest of the UWP games perform.

Next, there are microtransactions in the game... so, it's not as if Micro$oft isnt going to be banking some moolah on this release.

In my opinion, this can be seen quite similarly to a "loss-leader" in a store. An item at low cost where the store may even take a hit to their bottom line to sell the product at... but it gets you in the door, so to speak.

This is no different. This is Micro$oft clearly trying to build interest for their UWP app store, so they can convert more people to W10, and of course sell people apps in their own store, as opposed to Steam where Valve takes a cut of every sale. This is just going to be a new platform much in the same way EA brought about Origin... choosing to cut Valve out of the picture to bank more money.

However, the key difference in all of this is that 1) You need to be on W10, which many people dislike fiercly. and 2) The UWP is quite a horrendous attempt at a gaming platform riddled with all sorts of technical issues, bugs, and usability problems that really hinder enjoying your games if you buy through Micro$oft.

Not to mention that DX12, one of the key features MS is promoting to swoon people for W10, doesnt even perform better than DX11 on the games that have it implemented already. It isnt even close to the wondrous performance improvement that MS has been touting it would be.

And the game performs fantastic on the PC. Very polished unlike some of the Windows Store games. I'm extremely happy to see Forza on the PC and really hopeful Forza 7 has the option of console and PC release.

MOD-Edit: Mutual respect between the people using the RaceDepartment.com website(s) and forums. Malicious behavior and bullying will not be tolerated.

If you can't figure out how to disable the assists then maybe you shouldn't be playing PC games.

I'll help you though, before you start a race, you simply go to the ASSISTS menu and adjust to your liking. Really no different than most PC racing sims these days.

I find it quite amusing how irate some people get about games/software/hardware etc.
I'm really into driving sims. I own most of them. We all have our favourites depending on what suits us and this can be very much affected by the equipment we have to get the best out of them.

Well I've downloaded it and had a couple of drives now.
Took a while to download even though I'm on 200Mbps....
It's not a bad looking game @ 3840x2160. I'm maxed out with graphics quality (on 2x 980Ti's)
I wouldn't say it was as pretty as PCars.
The sound effects were pathetic.
No wheel support as yet, hopefully that will happen before too long.
It's a freebie, so I'm not going to complain about much as it will no doubt improve given time.
Hats off to MS for giving me a free game.
I'll be keeping my eye on it......

I think Forza 6 on the PC is VERY comparable to PCARS graphically, both look amazing, especially the little details. I'm surprised you think the sound effects are pathetic. I think they're quite good, equally as good as most other racing sims if not better in many regards. The sound of the rain is spot-on realistic. Did you play through the campaign mode yet? You'll see quite a diverse amount of vehicles and scenarios and I think you'll find the game sounds quite good.

I've been driving PC car simulators since about 1993, F1 series os ISI & EA being perhaps only sims I haven't bought. Graphics of all modern car simulators and some arcade games too are familiar, I use RF2, R3E, PCARS, AMB etc. almost every day. Still this Forza 6 beta got me flat-footed! How can it look this good? A wet dream of this old car enthusiast and PC freak came true. Yes, gimme more of this stuff!! And that wheel support, if not immediately, maybe tomorrow? ;)

I've been driving PC car simulators since about 1993, F1 series os ISI & EA being perhaps only sims I haven't bought. Graphics of all modern car simulators and some arcade games too are familiar, I use RF2, R3E, PCARS, AMB etc. almost every day. Still this Forza 6 beta got me flat-footed! How can it look this good? A wet dream of this old car enthusiast and PC freak came true. Yes, gimme more of this stuff!! And that wheel support, if not immediately, maybe tomorrow? ;)

I guarantee wheel support will come. The thing is Turn 10 is a big budget company that really loves their customers and listens. The initial feedback was that people were unhappy about not having wheel support so they immediately responded that they're working on it and it will come soon. Its my understanding that there's supposed to be a Windows Store update coming in the next month or two that will fix a lot of the issues that the UWP app has and I'm thinking the wheel support is tied to that as well and will come around that same time.

Keep in mind, Turn 10 has been very clear this is a BETA. This is their first attempt at getting Forza running on a PC, I feel like they've provided a very polished product already for a beta, but its certainly missing features that the console version has, but that can always be added over the course of this year. I don't think we'll ever get a full blown Forza 6 on PC, its probably too late in the release cycle now to get all of the content that Forza 6 has in the Apex version, but I hopeful Forza 7 will be on both platforms equal in content and features.

My biggest complaint with Forza 6 is the FOV. Its clearly too far back and its even worse in FM6 than it was in FM5. It takes some getting use to when you're accustomed to playing other PC racing sims where you can adjust the FOV much closer. I had really hoped that the Apex version would give us that ability to adjust the FOV.

I'm impressed with Apex seeing it's T10's first go at it. While I'm a wheel guy and only play racing or flight sims, this is good diversion. More of a game than my sims but that's OK, it's free.
I'm finding the control with a gamepad (360 pad) better than the gamepad control of FM6 on the my X1, not as twitchy. This is why I don't play FM6 on my X1, I not good with a gamepad, and it's not worth it to me to connect my wheel. But if they add wheel support to Apex, better yet.
Looks and runs very good on my hardware.

Anyone know where is default installation folder of Apex ? Please help.
I believe the default would be ...\Program Files\WindowsApps. This is protected by default so you can't even read the contents. This can be changed but why bother, it's done for a reason.
FYI, you can "move" Windows Apps from Settings\System\Apps & features but my guess the destination will still be hidden/protected. At least with the "move" you are not stuck with the apps on your system drive, in my case an SSD with limited space.

upload_2016-5-7_13-15-56.png

That Windows Store ... why can't Microsoft ever get things right when it comes to games?
As if GFWL wasn't already a huge disaster...

Installed it.
a) It didn't give me an option where to save the game to and filled up my system SSD and i had to move the game to another disk.
b) Now my local admin account turned into a Microsoft account (without asking my permission)

Even before launching the game just once i'm already pissed...

EDIT: Trying to launch - incompatible graphics driver, doesn't even start.
Well, well... Okay, done with it. Back to real PC racing instead of this console junk.

EDIT2: How the hell can you uninstall this thing?
This thing is the worst i have ever seen...

EDIT3: Way to go Microsoft .... don't put it in "Programs and Features" where it has been since 20 years but put it into a completely new and unknown location. Well done. Well done.

Last edited:
I believe the default would be ...\Program Files\WindowsApps. This is protected by default so you can't even read the contents. This can be changed but why bother, it's done for a reason.
FYI, you can "move" Windows Apps from Settings\System\Apps & features but my guess the destination will still be hidden/protected. At least with the "move" you are not stuck with the apps on your system drive, in my case an SSD with limited space.

View attachment 134382

I only want to add Forza to my steam as non-steam game to take screenshots and upload to my steam gallery but it seems to be impossible :c

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back