Formula W: A New Series for Female Racers Announced.

Paul Jeffrey

Premium
Formula W.jpg

A brand new racing series will arrive next year, dedicated to the development and growth of female racing talent.

Supported by such names as David Coulthard and Adrian Newey, Formula W is set to be a dedicated series for female racing drivers between 18 and 24 who are looking to make the next step on the racing ladder.

Utilising a Tatuus chassis based around Formula 3 regulations, Formula W will be a female exclusive racing series made up of six race events throughout Europe, with further expansions to Australia and Asia planned for future seasons.

One of the most noteworthy features of the new series, and something that can only be a positive for the sport, is the lack of a requirement for female drivers to bring a budget to the championship, the series organisers instead offering 20+ drivers a funded ride in the championship following the undertaking of an extensive development and assessment period, with the goal of securing only the best talent once the field hits the track next season.

Having not seen a female competitor in Grand Prix racing since the ill-fated attempts of Giovanna Amati in 1992, David Coulthard thinks Formula W is essential to see the development of competitive women in motorsport:

"If you want a fundamental change in the outcome, you need a fundamental change in the process. W is a fundamental change in creating an opportunity to bring through female talent to the highest possible level."

The new series will benefit from a $1.5m prize fund across six races in Europe, and will include a round in the UK. The cars will be identical and be provided and run by the championship.

Like what you see here at RaceDepartment? Don't forget to like, subscribe and follow us on social media!

Do you like the idea of Formula W? Can the series be a success? Let us know your thoughts in the comments section below!

Last edited:
There is no physical reason why a female should be less equiped to race a car.
It's just that a are much less females than men intrested in car racing.
Any F3 racingteam would gladly accept a female driver if she is as fast as any other driver and brings in half a million euro's to do a full year of racing.
That's what it cost to drive a full season of F3 on a decent level.

Last edited:
Nothing says women are equal to men more than spliting them in a sport that's not "men only" lol
But then Simbin also wanted to make a women only championship (and GTR3 was announced as an arcade, connected?)... no surprise this would happen IRL.
Good thing drivers like Legge and Christina dont need this stuff to win.
Now all it needs is the series covering all the costs while males still have to struggle finding sponsors...
One question I have is why nobody talks about the Road to Indy for example... are people aware you can move to to Indycar "for free"? Nothing stops a woman from trying that one.

#MeSchu

just thought I'd help out with the marketing :p

from this side of the virtual garage it would be great to see more women in sim racing, so it can only be a good thing :thumbsup:
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
EDIT 2 hours later ..... if you wondered, among the multitude of reasons sim racing is not hugely populated with women, read many of the posts below. For the sake of common sense, real world sports around the globe have been codified for both male and female participation, from football to cricket, rugby to tennis, athletics to basketball, darts to pool. We all share these experiences as human beings, and it's pretty cool. I'm sorry some of you can not take the same pleasure and apply the same admiration from seeing Jessica Ennis win an Olympic gold as you can Mo Farah ...... or maybe you just haven't thought it through

Last edited:
Bit early for an April Fool's joke Paul! :p
And a buck-50 isn't gonna even buy the winner a coffee! :roflmao:

(But seriously, isn't this the opposite of what people like Susie Wolff have been advocating?)

Doh, you already made that joke! Didn't read that before.

Well, as you can see...advocating does nothing. Actually launching a series should bring some results at least.

Theres some talent out there for sure, and I for one would like to watch the series and how it comes along.
I'm sure this will make me sound like I'm biased, and to all the ladies out there it is not my intent, but I'm just not sure If there is something missing or a difference that women lack to make it all the way to the top, and I'm talking both men and women racing together. When it comes to split second decisions, I just think womens thought processes are slightly different, maybe thats the difference.
Do I think there are fast women racers out there, yes I sure do, but are they at the same level as men in the top tiers, of that I'm not so sure.
Men and women think differently about a lot of things, and that very difference may just be the difference. Then again maybe I'm just full of it too !

Theres some talent out there for sure, and I for one would like to watch the series and how it comes along.
I'm sure this will make me sound like I'm biased, and to all the ladies out there it is not my intent, but I'm just not sure If there is something missing or a difference that women lack to make it all the way to the top, and I'm talking both men and women racing together. When it comes to split second decisions, I just think womens thought processes are slightly different, maybe thats the difference.
Do I think there are fast women racers out there, yes I sure do, but are they at the same level as men in the top tiers, of that I'm not so sure.
Men and women think differently about a lot of things, and that very difference may just be the difference. Then again maybe I'm just full of it too !
Ever heard about Michèle Mouton?

There is no physical reason why a female should be less equiped to race a car.

Just curious on what expertise you are basing this assessment? I am curious since the empirical evidence suggests otherwise. So far, women have not been competitive at the highest level, to me strongly suggesting either some sort of physical or temperamental disadvantage at least at that highest level, or (to others maybe) a grand patriarchal conspiracy.

Last edited:
I'm not a woman, but I feel like I would find this concept pretty insulting...but I think I'd still be willing to swallow my pride and go along with it if it meant a chance for a seat.

Watching racing on TV with pride intact < driving a racecar at the expense of some pride.

Latest News

What's needed for simracing in 2024?

• More games, period

• Better graphics/visuals

• Advanced physics and handling

• More cars and tracks

• AI improvements

• AI engineering

• Cross-platform play

• New game Modes

• Other, post your idea

Results are only viewable after voting.