Force India signs Alfonso Celis as a Development Driver

Lorenzo Bonder

Wah wah.
celisfi.jpg

Force India announce Mexican youngster, Alfonso Celis Jr., as one of their new development drivers in 2016.

The 19 year old Mexican currently races in both the GP3 and Formula Renault 3.5 series. Over the past three years the young Mexican driver has tasted some open-wheel action in junior championships around Europe, and this season he achieved his first podium at Spa in the GP3 support race. Celis Jr. is expected to get his first taste of an F1 car during the end-of-season testing at Abu Dhabi later this year.

Additionally, Force India have announced that Celis Jr. will take part in seven practice sessions during the 2016 F1 season and will also aid the car development with work in the simulator. Said Celis,

“Ever since I started racing I’ve been dreaming of Formula 1, so it’s a huge honour to begin working with Sahara Force India. It’s an amazing opportunity for me to learn about Formula One and to work closely with the engineers and race drivers.

“Being on the track in Abu Dhabi will be an incredible feeling. It’s going to be the biggest moment in my career and I am fully focused on doing a good job for the team.”​

Team owner, Vijay Mallya was pleased to welcome Alfonso into the team for 2016, stating that he will gain a lot of experience with current full-time drivers, Nico Hülkenberg and Sergio Perez.

Do you like this driver announcement? Do you believe the young Mexican driver can someday reach a full-time ride in F1 in the near future? Let us know in the comment section below.

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back