Fanatec McLaren GT3 rim problems...

Hey guys,

Anyone having problems with their newly released McLaren GT3 rim? I am having the clutch paddles drop out on me after a random amount of time. Upon plugging the rim into the base (I use an OSW with the Fanatec wheel base side conversion kit with the newly flashed firmware to operate the GT3 rim) everything is recognized, map-able and works fine. After a while driving, the clutch paddles just drop out and become unusable. I've had the gear paddles drop out once or twice but it's the clutch paddles that do it pretty much every session. Sometimes after 20 minutes, sometimes after a couple of minutes. I've contacted both Fanatec and Simracingmachines.com where I got the conversion kit from in a hope to get to the bottom of it. Just wondering if anyone else is having drama with it.

When you first plug it in, everything is recognized so their shouldn't be a problem with compatibility. Just a reliability thing now.

I got mine back from Fanatec, I think it took around a month altogether. I guess they've fixed it, it works on my so far short tests. I feel no difference in how the shifting feels, it's the same as before. I however somehow feel that the clutch paddles have more resistance though..

Upvote 0
So how many of you finally broke down and installed magnetic shifters completely replacing the problem area?

I haven't...for some reason my wheel stopped doing missed shifts after I made sure the bolts were all secure around the pins of the wheel and also the bolts on the same bolts on the wheel base. I stopped using the locking screw from since January and no shifting issues (knocks on wood). I have 3 rims I use on rotation depending on car, so playtime per week varies (maybe 2 - 6 hours a week), but no problems here...I would like Mag shifters though.

Upvote 0
I've not experienced this issue yet, but I have a recent model and I immediately installed the metal adapter for the CS 2.5. Time will tell. I also haven't given it much of a work out yet.

Upvote 0
So how many of you finally broke down and installed magnetic shifters completely replacing the problem area?
Mine still working good. The doubleshift stopped but I can't trust nomore in the shifters. There's a plenty of DIY magnetic shifters and some from webshop like opensimracing (https://opensimracing.com/collections/shifters/products/osr-evo-budget-magnetic-shifters-diy) that you could buy only the 3d files and mount yourself. Probably I'll wait till warranty is over to make some mod.

Upvote 0
Rather than start a new thread. The clutch paddles, do they only work if the wheel and brakes/clutch are linked, rather than the brakes/clutch have their own USB to the PC?

Upvote 0
I ordered the Simracingmachines magnetic paddle upgrade for my Porsche 918 wheel. The magnetic upgrade for the McLaren wheel is out of stock. I wonder why...

I'm using Heusinkveld Sprint pedals with their own USB and I've used the clutch pedal with the McLaren rim. I've not tried to run the wheel's clutch yet.

When using the Fanatec CS 1.5 as a sequential shifter, Fanatec allows the wheel's paddle shifters to be ganged with the sequential shifter. It's possible this is the case for the clutch pedal as well where you have to remap the control vs. having both be active unless you are running all Fanatec gear.

Now that I have a dedicated sequential shift, I have to map either the wheel's paddles or the Heusinkveld sequential shifter. Both do not work at the same time.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Both will work but you need to use the 'alternate shift up and down' bindings in the respective sim. AC and rF2 both have this, at least.

You only want to use the clutch paddles in cars that use paddle shifters and only need the clutch for take off and to avoid stalling. For anything else you really want the pedal.

Upvote 0
I'm almost considering selling my GT3 wheel.It's collecting dust. I pretty well like using my Porsche 918 wheel for just about everything. With the paddle shifter upgrade, I think it should do well all around and I'm perfectly happy using my clutch pedal for a clutch. I could possibly see getting a dedicated drift/rally wheel with no controls on it at all, but I'm pretty happy with just the one wheel.

Upvote 0
I just wanted to try the launch control thing.

It's not working.
Hi Asterix, the dual clutch paddle system works on any game that correctly supports an analogue clutch axis. It requires no work from the game developer, it all happens through our firmware on the existing clutch input. In most racing sims it is possible to show the pedal axes on screen, so you should see the clutch paddles working. You should also see it in a calibration menu, or in the Fanatec driver.

Upvote 0
Hi Asterix, the dual clutch paddle system works on any game that correctly supports an analogue clutch axis. It requires no work from the game developer, it all happens through our firmware on the existing clutch input. In most racing sims it is possible to show the pedal axes on screen, so you should see the clutch paddles working. You should also see it in a calibration menu, or in the Fanatec driver.
Many thanks for the reply. I do get the paddles being seen as a singular analogue input in Assetto Corsa, for instance, yet when I go through the motions as per the online explanations - I get the '100' come up on the wheel but nothing else happens. Car in gear, throttle down, it just pulls away - changing the number with the funky switch doesn't make any difference.

I think need to have a look at the guides again.

Upvote 0
Many thanks for the reply. I do get the paddles being seen as a singular analogue input in Assetto Corsa, for instance, yet when I go through the motions as per the online explanations - I get the '100' come up on the wheel but nothing else happens. Car in gear, throttle down, it just pulls away - changing the number with the funky switch doesn't make any difference.

I think need to have a look at the guides again.
Perhaps you have auto clutch enabled as an assist, or you haven't correctly assigned the clutch axis.

Upvote 0
Both will work but you need to use the 'alternate shift up and down' bindings in the respective sim. AC and rF2 both have this, at least.

You only want to use the clutch paddles in cars that use paddle shifters and only need the clutch for take off and to avoid stalling. For anything else you really want the pedal.

You can map both a sequential shifter stick and paddle shifters in those games? Are they both active at all times or does it change by car?

Upvote 0
Both active but it has to have an 'alternate' setting otherwise you need to change the binding to use whichever you want. If it has alternate binding both are active. So if your shifter ever dies mid race you'd be able to use paddles.

Edit: Derp spelling....

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Add me as another on the list with miss and double shifts. Admittedly, my rim wasn't purchased brand new but I only got around 4 hours or so of use before I started to experience problems.

I've decided to go for a more permanent fix and picked up a set of these:
IMG20190625.jpg

Time to get the dremmel out :confused:

Upvote 0
Just installed the SRM magnet upgrade for the Porsche 918 wheel. It's a very simple installation since it is an addition not a replacement. Just undo two bolts on each side. Add the fixed magnet support using their longer bolts. Adjust the shift arm flush with the support, and then slide the moving magnet in place. It's held to the shift arm magnetically and slid in perfectly with no slop or tightness.

It now takes a little bit more effort to make a shift happen, but now the shifters snap back vs being a bit too easy to engage. I've heard people talk about accidental shifts if your fingers are on the stock shifters. I've never experienced that, but it is a more positive snap now and feels good.

Overall a very easy way to improve the shift feel on an otherwise excellent wheel that I love to use.

Upvote 0
Now that my McLaren wheel is fixed, this is the pair of wheels I'm keeping. McLaren GT3 for the modern GT cars and open wheelers and the BMW GT2 wheel for other cars. I also did consider the other roundish wheel options from Fanatec, but I actually prefer the BMW Alcantara to the leather Porsche wheel. I feel no need to change the rims only, so I did not consider the universal hub.

I've also got the shifter upgrade for the BMW wheel coming!-)

evzk6eP.jpg

Upvote 0
The magnetic upgrade for the McLaren wheel is out of stock
Could you please link to where to buy the McLaren magnetic shifters ?
Has anyone successfully done the conversion ? Id love to see how it was done :geek:
I just had my rim repaired for the second time ,so my 3rd attempt , first rim was replaced and now repaired . The shifter has a really annoying creaking sound and im thinking a shifter replacement would be ideal because Fanatec used these crappy snap-dome switches :mad:

Upvote 0

Latest News

What's needed for simracing in 2024?

• More games, period

• Better graphics/visuals

• Advanced physics and handling

• More cars and tracks

• AI improvements

• AI engineering

• Cross-platform play

• New game Modes

• Other, post your idea