Fanatec DD1 and Formula V2 wheel creaking

Recently started having this strange creaking noise with this setup. Sometimes can feel something through the wheel at the same time.
Purchased May of 2021.

Have done some reading here, and read some Reddit posts, but still unsure what solution, if any, was found.

Some folks wrote that they sent their stuff back to Fanatec (which would seriously suck, not being able to drive), one person said he put some light grease on the ball bearings on the quick release. Some have talked of tightening a screw (set screw?) on the quick release, but I don't see a screw on mine.

I have not reached out to Fanatec yet.

Anyone here familiar with this? Or are there just too many variables in play to come to a conclusion? Or a thread already discussing this that I have not yet found?
Hoping it is not something serious :(

Thanks

Edit: Yesterday evening I turned everything off and just put pressure on the wheel. It appears the noise is coming from the wheel, not the base, though admittedly hard to tell. There is also flex in the wheel, though that may have been there from the beginning when it was still new.

Last edited:
Perhaps try getting a video of the issue? Have you tested to see if it makes the same noise with the rim removed from the wheel base? I suppose where the QR is mounted to the back of the rim the plasic could be cracked or loose. Also if you twist the quick release clasp you should see a single hold on the rim side, this would alight with the drive shaft on the DD1. This is the set screw that some have referenced. This used to be how non QR rims stayed in place but you can also use it with a QR.

Thanks for the help!

Looked in the box the wheel shipped in, found the set screw, and installed it.
It almost eliminated the creaking when I am sitting still and pulling the wheel downwards as shown in the video clip.

Unfortunately, it did not eliminate the creak I get when turning the wheel. Pretty much anytime there is FFB applied when I turn the wheel in game, it creaks.

I have submitted a help ticket to Fanatec.

In looking at your video my guess would be it's originating from the plastic under the 4 bolts for the quick release. I could be wrong but that is the only plastic component in between.

Fanatec asked for a video of the clicking noise, which I sent to them.

They suggested two things, moving the spring on the quick release, and putting a little grease on the bearings. I used the lithium grease that came with the performance brake kit.

Anyone should know to do one thing at a time... but I did both at the same time.

So far the noise has gone away, I hear nothing at all.

I did notice a little metal debris or shavings in the holes on the wheel base shaft. I mentioned this to Fanatec in my reply, so interested in what they have to say about this.

Latest News

What's needed for simracing in 2024?

• More games, period

• Better graphics/visuals

• Advanced physics and handling

• More cars and tracks

• AI improvements

• AI engineering

• Cross-platform play

• New game Modes

• Other, post your idea

Results are only viewable after voting.