Fanatec 1.5 shifter vs Frex Shifter

I recommend laying the shifter on its side before taking the lid off. It keeps the lid from stressing the sequential wiring. It also made it easier to break the screws loose. I used rubbing alcohol no the back of the circuit card before I applied the electrical tape. I applied two pieces of tape to the circuit card, trimmed the excess off both sides and cut the corners off to expose the screw holes so I didn't have to melt holes in the tape.

Upvote 0
I recommend laying the shifter on its side before taking the lid off. It keeps the lid from stressing the sequential wiring. It also made it easier to break the screws loose. I used rubbing alcohol no the back of the circuit card before I applied the electrical tape. I applied two pieces of tape to the circuit card, trimmed the excess off both sides and cut the corners off to expose the screw holes so I didn't have to melt holes in the tape.

I did all of this...applied tape to both circuit boards (I definitely applied to the one in your tutorial, but I believe at one point I did the other one as well), my magnet has never moved, it's in the center and seems to be stuck there with locktite or something similar. I've made sure my rig is grounded as well by clipping a grounding clip that's plugged into my outlet onto various parts of my rig. It will work for a few days or hours without issues and then it'll start shifting incorrectly again. :unsure:

Upvote 0
I did all of this...applied tape to both circuit boards (I definitely applied to the one in your tutorial, but I believe at one point I did the other one as well), my magnet has never moved, it's in the center and seems to be stuck there with locktite or something similar. I've made sure my rig is grounded as well by clipping a grounding clip that's plugged into my outlet onto various parts of my rig. It will work for a few days or hours without issues and then it'll start shifting incorrectly again. :unsure:

That makes me frown!

Upvote 0
I’m in a similar situation, can’t get my fanatec 1.5 to stop mis shifting and thinking the frex is the way to go. Although I now hear the BDH sim racing H shifter could be a very well made alternative to the pro-sim. I’m just waiting to see if anyone is going to review it first.

I would be happy with the fanatec if it worked, but I had zero trust in it.

Upvote 0
I’m in a similar situation, can’t get my fanatec 1.5 to stop mis shifting and thinking the frex is the way to go. Although I now hear the BDH sim racing H shifter could be a very well made alternative to the pro-sim. I’m just waiting to see if anyone is going to review it first.

I would be happy with the fanatec if it worked, but I had zero trust in it.

My CS 1.5 worked properly. My only real complaint was that it only had one adjustment. Setting the friction for engagement into each gear is important, but I always felt the self centering spring was too light. The Pro-sim allows me to set a nice strong self centering action which to me makes it easier to shift well. 2nd to 3rd vs. 5th is very different. One is a push up. The other is a push up and over. With the 1.5 I found it very easy to go from 2nd to 5th because it had such a weak spring.

Not sure how the Frex or BDH work in that regard. Curious to know although I'm unlikely to part with what I have.

Upvote 0
Not sure how the Frex or BDH work in that regard. Curious to know although I'm unlikely to part with what I have.

I recently got my Frex H in the mail, the new 2021 alloy version. It's beautiful but to answer your question if I had to nitpick I'd pick on the tensioner. The adjustment goes from no discernible force, to locked, in about half a turn. I don't have it mounted so can't say for sure, but I don't really think it's the type of shifter that needs high tension. Nice satisfying click is good enough for me.

Side to side is a strong spring, but the ball bearing does apply some friction that way, the throw on the Frex is so wide that I think it will be really tough to miss a gear. Patterned after a 962 Porsche transmission.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Hi all,
I'm trying to figure out how to best attach the Frex H shifter to my Simetik, wondering if it's even possible on my rig?

Here is a link to the shifter mount: https://simetik.com/web/product/shifter-support/

Do you think the clamp mount on the H Shifter would securely clamp on?

I also found this on Frex's site, but not sure how it even attaches to the H Shifter?
https://frex.com/store/product/bracket75mmφ8mm/

Thanks

This might not help you, but I've just mounted my new Frex H-pattern to a horizontal bit of 4080 profile. The desk mount clamp is absolutely rubbish in preventing lateral movements, but I solved this by removing the 5mm thread bolts at the front and boring the thread in the holes out with a mini file. Mounted with a couple of 5mm profile nuts and longer (25mm I think) bolts. To anyone with any concerns about rigidity (as I did) , it's absolutely rock solid now.

Attachments

• IMG_0107_.jpg
    IMG_0107_.jpg
    601.7 KB · Views: 120
Last edited:
Upvote 0

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back