1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Skins F4 British 2017 - Carlin #38 Jamie Caroline for RSS4_1.0 [WIP]

Discussion in 'Assetto Corsa Modding Discussions' started by leclettico, Nov 10, 2017.

1. leclettico

leclettico

Ratings:
    +31
    It's almost done.

In my mind there's the desire to replicate all the cars of the last F4 British Championship.

I replicated also the "ventus" bold logo on Hankook tires, but I decided to let RSS text shine on it because I owe them for their splendid add-on.

I received a proactive support from formulaHEINE for the F4 common sponsors textures and from Fat-Alfie for the WOW logo, completely made from scratch.

This community is fabulous. :)

1Senza titolo-1.jpg caroline.jpg 3Senza titolo-3.jpg tyre hankook.jpg 2Senza titolo-2.jpg DK9OaViXoAAfX6h.jpg 3Senza titolo-4.jpg Caroline-02-2-18.jpg

• Like Like x 5
    • Love Love x 5
  2. formulaHEINE

formulaHEINE

Ratings:
    +847
    Very good work, keep on! :thumbsup:
    Make some nice reflections for the blue parts via the 'RSS4_Chassis_D_map'.

As i wrote you via PM, free to use my Hankook Brit F4 tire textures.
    BF4_Tire.jpg
    edit:
    Here's a reference pic of the actual tire:
    tire_18558918_869769559843595_2707426662950102515_o.jpg

Last edited: Nov 10, 2017
    • Love Love x 1
  3. leclettico

leclettico

Ratings:
    +31
    I can't reach your level, FH. :redface:
    But it's tremendously fun! :)
    And thanks. Eventually, I'll use your work.

It would be nice if the blue of Carlin has a chromatic shine. I don't know how to enhance relflections.
    I'll keep on studying.

• Like Like x 1
  4. formulaHEINE

formulaHEINE

Ratings:
    +847
    • Love Love x 1
  5. chargingcar

chargingcar
    Premium

Ratings:
    +5,658
    Awesome man looks really detailed :)

• Love Love x 1
  6. chargingcar

chargingcar
    Premium

Ratings:
    +5,658
    Base color I am getting seems really nice like @formulaHEINE is saying its tricky to replicate but not impossible with some adjustments on the maps to achieve a much stronger look ,
    what is your alpha channels like ?
    Mine here is all white AO in the alpha map , makes it pop , just this one setting :)
    [​IMG]
    As you can see here , I am using the full AO map in the 5th channel the alpha layer shown to the right , if yours is black or dark , most likely black from previous skins or builds which adds carbon ,
    full black in this channel will show 100% carbon , but as a side effect will make the livery darker slightly , adding the AO map into this channel will make the livery shine much brighter and give a nicer toning effect , I do not believe this livery you are making as carbon where we made our channels black so you should see better results by making it AO based .
    [​IMG]

• Like Like x 1
    • Love Love x 1
  7. chargingcar

chargingcar
    Premium

Ratings:
    +5,658
    Here is a good demonstration on the MAPS ,
    Here we have the same livery as above , with the AO map in the alpha channel ,
    but the Chassis_D_Map is all green , I will show below the effects of just a solid based MAP
    [​IMG]
    Here you can see its practically all mat , to give a greater effect of what you are trying to achieve ,
    I would suggest the metalish effect , chrome style , have Alpha channel AO
    in the main diffuse , where you want the chrome to be more effective leave this straight up AO ,
    the rest which is slightly darker mask it off which is normal paint and change the brightness to maybe -50-60
    [​IMG]

• Like Like x 1
    • Love Love x 1
  8. chargingcar

chargingcar
    Premium

Ratings:
    +5,658
    Here basically we are doing some basic tone mapping , color mapping to achieve different reflection properties

Here is a split map , AO RSS4_Chassis_D_MAP ,
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

and the base is still same as above
    [​IMG]

So recommendations from RSS ,
    Paint the diffuse base color , graphics livery ,
    where you wish to have chrome effect style , or to achieve this look ,
    mask the ALPHA CHANNEL , and leave there only AO ,

in the RSS4_Chassis_D_MAP , mask the map and leave the chrome ish style you wish to achieve all white AO again ,

So all the brighter metals ,
    AO Map inside the RSS4_Chassis_D Alpha Channel
    AO Map inside the RSS4_Chassis_D_MAP

where you wish just standard paint play around with the settings of the MAP and AO in both and masks to achieve what you require , wont be perfect but will be way more convincing as of current :)

• Like Like x 1
    • Love Love x 1
  9. leclettico

leclettico

Ratings:
    +31
    Oh, my gosh! I'll take all these hints! Thanks.
    I've already make some changes to RSS4_Chassis_D_Map, but you're going a lot deeper. I'll take care of it. :)

• Love Love x 1
  10. chargingcar

chargingcar
    Premium

Ratings:
    +5,658
    Hi man ,
    still playing around with it , got some decent results ,
    using ,

Custom AO map in the RSS4_Chassis_D / alpha channel

Custom AO / Tone map in the RSS4_Chassis_D_MAP /

And using a custom metal_detail in which I will share :)

I never checked against the real livery paint colors just made them up obviously your livery will vary mine just colors for tests nothing else :)
    [​IMG]

• Like Like x 1
  11. chargingcar

chargingcar
    Premium

Ratings:
    +5,658
    I made a test skin ,

these all work together to achieve the results , play around as you need , but all the maps are there including a custom map psd in which you will need to mask paint and metals you want on your skin ,
    but its all there and hope it helps you with the projects tasks in hand good luck :)
    https://www.dropbox.com/s/8wxfsbymna5z9l3/00_test.zip?dl=0

• Like Like x 1
    • Love Love x 1
  12. leclettico

leclettico

Ratings:
    +31
    Yesterday, I've played with this values on D_map.

RSS4_Chassis_D_map.jpg

And the results are these.

1Assettocorsa Screenshot 2017.11.12 - 15.31.59.52.jpg
    1Assettocorsa Screenshot 2017.11.12 - 15.32.32.44.jpg

Let's see what I'll obtain with your hints. (And thanks for the .zip test. You're wonderful. )

• Like Like x 1
  13. leclettico

leclettico

Ratings:
    +31
    (And)
    There's any app, or applet, or something too see a preview of the helmet skin while I draw it, without having to load AC?

• Like Like x 1
  14. chargingcar

chargingcar
    Premium

Ratings:
    +5,658
    CM , Place a PSD inside your skins folder for example,

HELMET_2012.DDS , HELMET_2012.PSD , open content manager load your car and tick the driver box , and simply keep saving your PSD live , will update inside CM :)

• Like Like x 1
  15. chargingcar

chargingcar
    Premium

Ratings:
    +5,658
    Those maps I posted look closer , the AO maps been used will produce a much higher gloss/ metal reflection as there almost white :)

• Like Like x 1
  16. chargingcar

chargingcar
    Premium

Ratings:
    +5,658
    You want the metals almost coke can style , the maps I sent should give similar results but not exact :)

• Like Like x 1
  17. chargingcar

chargingcar
    Premium

Ratings:
    +5,658
    I would say that the maps I posted give the best effects although if I had more time could probably get them closer , just tweek away at the settings but the base is there ,
    basically everything metal ish , style you want to achieve most likely my opinion white in the alpha channel AO and AO white in the MAP ,
    With the use of the metal_detail.dds I posted ,

then simply adjust the base paints to be way less shiny will give great results to the final finish ,

I suggest if you making 4096x4096 RRS4_Chassis_D , do not use anything less than a 2048x2048 RSS4_Chassis_D_MAP , anything less than 2k you will see the masking lines in the difference to the metal and the paint wont look wow :)
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

• Love Love x 1