• "Auto racing began 5 minutes after the second car was built." - Henry Ford
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Dear Guest. Follow RaceDepartment on Twitter, Facebook, Instagram, Twitch, Steam and YouTube.

Skins F4 British 2017 - Carlin #38 Jamie Caroline for RSS4_1.0 [WIP]

Discussion in 'Assetto Corsa Modding Discussions' started by leclettico, Nov 10, 2017.

1. leclettico

leclettico

Ratings:
    +18
    It's almost done.

In my mind there's the desire to replicate all the cars of the last F4 British Championship.

I replicated also the "ventus" bold logo on Hankook tires, but I decided to let RSS text shine on it because I owe them for their splendid add-on.

I received a proactive support from formulaHEINE for the F4 common sponsors textures and from Fat-Alfie for the WOW logo, completely made from scratch.

This community is fabulous. :)

1Senza titolo-1.jpg caroline.jpg 3Senza titolo-3.jpg tyre hankook.jpg 2Senza titolo-2.jpg DK9OaViXoAAfX6h.jpg 3Senza titolo-4.jpg Caroline-02-2-18.jpg

• Like Like x 5
    • Love Love x 5
  2. formulaHEINE

formulaHEINE

Ratings:
    +769
    Very good work, keep on! :thumbsup:
    Make some nice reflections for the blue parts via the 'RSS4_Chassis_D_map'.

As i wrote you via PM, free to use my Hankook Brit F4 tire textures.
    BF4_Tire.jpg
    edit:
    Here's a reference pic of the actual tire:
    tire_18558918_869769559843595_2707426662950102515_o.jpg

Last edited: Nov 10, 2017
    • Love Love x 1
  3. leclettico

leclettico

Ratings:
    +18
    I can't reach your level, FH. :redface:
    But it's tremendously fun! :)
    And thanks. Eventually, I'll use your work.

It would be nice if the blue of Carlin has a chromatic shine. I don't know how to enhance relflections.
    I'll keep on studying.

• Like Like x 1
  4. formulaHEINE

formulaHEINE

Ratings:
    +769
    • Love Love x 1
  5. chargingcar

chargingcar
    Premium

Ratings:
    +4,944
    Awesome man looks really detailed :)

• Love Love x 1
  6. chargingcar

chargingcar
    Premium

Ratings:
    +4,944
    Base color I am getting seems really nice like @formulaHEINE is saying its tricky to replicate but not impossible with some adjustments on the maps to achieve a much stronger look ,
    what is your alpha channels like ?
    Mine here is all white AO in the alpha map , makes it pop , just this one setting :)
    [​IMG]
    As you can see here , I am using the full AO map in the 5th channel the alpha layer shown to the right , if yours is black or dark , most likely black from previous skins or builds which adds carbon ,
    full black in this channel will show 100% carbon , but as a side effect will make the livery darker slightly , adding the AO map into this channel will make the livery shine much brighter and give a nicer toning effect , I do not believe this livery you are making as carbon where we made our channels black so you should see better results by making it AO based .
    [​IMG]

• Like Like x 1
    • Love Love x 1
  7. chargingcar

chargingcar
    Premium

Ratings:
    +4,944
    Here is a good demonstration on the MAPS ,
    Here we have the same livery as above , with the AO map in the alpha channel ,
    but the Chassis_D_Map is all green , I will show below the effects of just a solid based MAP
    [​IMG]
    Here you can see its practically all mat , to give a greater effect of what you are trying to achieve ,
    I would suggest the metalish effect , chrome style , have Alpha channel AO
    in the main diffuse , where you want the chrome to be more effective leave this straight up AO ,
    the rest which is slightly darker mask it off which is normal paint and change the brightness to maybe -50-60
    [​IMG]

• Like Like x 1
    • Love Love x 1
  8. chargingcar

chargingcar
    Premium

Ratings:
    +4,944
    Here basically we are doing some basic tone mapping , color mapping to achieve different reflection properties

Here is a split map , AO RSS4_Chassis_D_MAP ,
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

and the base is still same as above
    [​IMG]

So recommendations from RSS ,
    Paint the diffuse base color , graphics livery ,
    where you wish to have chrome effect style , or to achieve this look ,
    mask the ALPHA CHANNEL , and leave there only AO ,

in the RSS4_Chassis_D_MAP , mask the map and leave the chrome ish style you wish to achieve all white AO again ,

So all the brighter metals ,
    AO Map inside the RSS4_Chassis_D Alpha Channel
    AO Map inside the RSS4_Chassis_D_MAP

where you wish just standard paint play around with the settings of the MAP and AO in both and masks to achieve what you require , wont be perfect but will be way more convincing as of current :)

• Like Like x 1
    • Love Love x 1
  9. leclettico

leclettico

Ratings:
    +18
    Oh, my gosh! I'll take all these hints! Thanks.
    I've already make some changes to RSS4_Chassis_D_Map, but you're going a lot deeper. I'll take care of it. :)

• Love Love x 1
  10. chargingcar

chargingcar
    Premium

Ratings:
    +4,944
    Hi man ,
    still playing around with it , got some decent results ,
    using ,

Custom AO map in the RSS4_Chassis_D / alpha channel

Custom AO / Tone map in the RSS4_Chassis_D_MAP /

And using a custom metal_detail in which I will share :)

I never checked against the real livery paint colors just made them up obviously your livery will vary mine just colors for tests nothing else :)
    [​IMG]

• Like Like x 1
  11. chargingcar

chargingcar
    Premium

Ratings:
    +4,944
    I made a test skin ,

these all work together to achieve the results , play around as you need , but all the maps are there including a custom map psd in which you will need to mask paint and metals you want on your skin ,
    but its all there and hope it helps you with the projects tasks in hand good luck :)
    https://www.dropbox.com/s/8wxfsbymna5z9l3/00_test.zip?dl=0

• Like Like x 1
    • Love Love x 1
  12. leclettico

leclettico

Ratings:
    +18
    Yesterday, I've played with this values on D_map.

RSS4_Chassis_D_map.jpg

And the results are these.

1Assettocorsa Screenshot 2017.11.12 - 15.31.59.52.jpg
    1Assettocorsa Screenshot 2017.11.12 - 15.32.32.44.jpg

Let's see what I'll obtain with your hints. (And thanks for the .zip test. You're wonderful. )

• Like Like x 1
  13. leclettico

leclettico

Ratings:
    +18
    (And)
    There's any app, or applet, or something too see a preview of the helmet skin while I draw it, without having to load AC?

• Like Like x 1
  14. chargingcar

chargingcar
    Premium

Ratings:
    +4,944
    CM , Place a PSD inside your skins folder for example,

HELMET_2012.DDS , HELMET_2012.PSD , open content manager load your car and tick the driver box , and simply keep saving your PSD live , will update inside CM :)

• Like Like x 1
  15. chargingcar

chargingcar
    Premium

Ratings:
    +4,944
    Those maps I posted look closer , the AO maps been used will produce a much higher gloss/ metal reflection as there almost white :)

• Like Like x 1
  16. chargingcar

chargingcar
    Premium

Ratings:
    +4,944
    You want the metals almost coke can style , the maps I sent should give similar results but not exact :)

• Like Like x 1
  17. chargingcar

chargingcar
    Premium

Ratings:
    +4,944
    I would say that the maps I posted give the best effects although if I had more time could probably get them closer , just tweek away at the settings but the base is there ,
    basically everything metal ish , style you want to achieve most likely my opinion white in the alpha channel AO and AO white in the MAP ,
    With the use of the metal_detail.dds I posted ,

then simply adjust the base paints to be way less shiny will give great results to the final finish ,

I suggest if you making 4096x4096 RRS4_Chassis_D , do not use anything less than a 2048x2048 RSS4_Chassis_D_MAP , anything less than 2k you will see the masking lines in the difference to the metal and the paint wont look wow :)
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

• Love Love x 1