F1 set for condensed 2016 calendar

0861bf695e08d15ac27e6b8aaacd3588.jpg

News broke this morning that the 2016 Formula One calendar will have a much more condensed feel, with the opening Australian Grand Prix set to be moved back to April 3rd, to make the race a back to back race with the Chinese Grand Prix.

The reasoning behind moving the opening race several weeks to early April, making it the latest start to an F1 season since 1988, is to reduce costs during the year by condensing the races as close together as possible.

CEO of the Australian Grand Prix Corporation Andrew Westacott was happy with the latest news, "Over the past 20 years Melbourne has become synonymous with the start of a new Formula 1 season, and we look forward to again welcoming all the teams and drivers to our great city in 2016. The new date will see an earlier start time, and fans can expect the same great on-track action and off-track entertainment across the four days."

This move is the latest form of cost cutting that has been implemented in Formula One over the last few years, although it remains to be seen whether this latest move will be that effective in curbing costs in F1. Whilst this is another move in the right direction, more needs to be done to significantly reduce costs in F1 for the smaller independent teams, in my opinion at least.

What are your thoughts on this latest cost cutting move? Please feel free to comment below.

Last edited by a moderator:
More stupidity.
They still have to go to each GP. No cost saving there.
Smaller teams with less staff have less time at home base. No break for development.

The more cost cutting they try the more money it takes to be competitive.

Leaked calendar, which the FOM are both confirming is correct, but denying is correct too.

April 3 – Australia (Albert Park)
April 10 – China (Shanghai)
April 24 – Bahrain (Sakhir)
May 1 – Russia (Sochi)
May 15 – Spain (Barcelona)
May 29 – Monaco (Monte Carlo)
June 12 – Canada (Montreal)
June 26 – Britain (Silverstone)
July 3 – Austria (Red Bull Ring)
July 17 – Europe (Baku)
July 31 – Germany (Hockenheim)
August 7 – Hungary (Hungaroring)
August 28 – Belgium (Spa)
September 4 – Italy (Monza)
September 18 – Singapore (Marina Bay)
September 25 – Malaysia (Sepang)
October 9 – Japan (Suzuka)
October 23 – USA (Austin)
October 30 – Mexico (Mexico City)
November 13 – Brazil (Interlagos)
November 27 – Abu Dhabi (Yas Marina)

In my opinion they should create diiferent categories, just like the LMPs in WEC. So the biggest teams would have the room to spare their money to make their cars as fast as possible, and at the same time keeping the smaller teams costs low while still providing some very entertaining competition.

• Deleted member 161052

To be honest, I don't like the season start month to be in April....I like March even more!

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back