F1 RIM by Speedmax Racing - Review

Hello guys!

So, this is my first review. In ENGLISH, and I’m Italian. So there will be probably a lot of mistakes: all the correction are well accepted.

Ok, let’s start this.

This rim is a handmade rim made by SpeedMax Racing. It’s a 3d printed wheel with a carbon front and rear plate.
All the 3D printed parts are: the case, the adaptor for Thrustmaster wheel’s bases (other adaptors for G27/29 and OSW are available), the paddle shifts and the hand grips with a hand sewn alcantara coating.
The wheel has 12 buttons, 2 switch, 3 encoders and a 4.3” display compatible with Z1 Dashboard.

Now in detail..

BUTTONS
Almost all of them are easily reachable with the thumb: I’m a VR user and I felt very comfortable with this rim during my racing sessions.
All the buttons make a nice “click” sound when pressed, so satisfying.

ENCODERS
The 3 encoders have only 2 function per encoder: they work like an “axis +” and “axis –“ even if they can be turn clockwise or anticlockwise, BUT nevertheless they are really useful (I binded the ABS+/-, TCS+/- and Mixture+/- commands on these three). They make a nice “click” too, but they are not so precise (i.e. you can clearly hear 4 “click” but the software recognize only 2 “click”. This little problem is now solved by using encoders with only 2 position…how do I know that? Eh, just wait a few minutes!).

PADDLE SHIFT
Now the icing on the cake: the paddle shifts are magnetic. I have 3 Thrustmaster rim: the TS-PC rim, the F1 rim and the Ferrari 599xx Evo BUT the feeling of these paddle shifts is TOP NOTCH. I will never go back to a “normal” paddle shift.

SCREEN
What about the screen? It’s a normal LCD screen, not the best LCD screen you can found to be honest, but it do his work really well. In addition, no, it is not touchscreen.

PRICE
Ok, what about the pricing? Well, it is a little bit expansive...

549€ + shipment cost.

Yeah, my rim’s values is higher than my wheel’s base, BUT it is compatible with OSW systems (my future upgrade).

CONCLUSION
This wheel is great. The best wheel I put my hands on. Well, I have to say I never used before something like a handmade wheel, only Thrustmaster or Logitech things.
The body is solid, the feelings are great and it really seems a top quality rim. I already used it for a 24H race and my hands were not tired so it is a big point for that.
I had only a little problem: my upshiftbutton.exe has stopped working. Nothing to do with a structural problem, the body of this rim is solid even if it is 3Dprinted. Somehow, I got it stuck (probably I pushed it too hard… I don’t know). I had to send it back to fix it, and that is when they changed the 3 rotary encoders with the new one, in addition to a new set of buttons which don’t turn on themselves.

Can I recommend it? Well, it depends: if you already have or if you want an OSW system, YES, absolutely but if you want to use it for your Thrustmaster only, well it’s like a Porsche with a gas engine.

t2K9GaP.jpg

LF5OC5B.jpg

I was on there site because I'm very interested in one of these wheels. The one thing I've noticed is that in all their options for the wheels I didn't see anything about an adapter for a fanatec option. I have the Podium DD1. Just wondering if you knew if they make their wheels for my base as well?

Upvote 0
I was on there site because I'm very interested in one of these wheels. The one thing I've noticed is that in all their options for the wheels I didn't see anything about an adapter for a fanatec option. I have the Podium DD1. Just wondering if you knew if they make their wheels for my base as well?
You would need a podium hub or universal hub from Fanatec. And connect the wheel via USB for the buttons.

Fanatec use the standard 70mm bolt positions, I'm assuming the wheel does too, since pretty much every wheel like this uses 70mm.

Upvote 0

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back