F1 returning to 1990s-style cars for 2017?

Why don't they just make the 90's spec car safer, the tracks safer but mandate manual stick shift gear changing? Bring back the heroism, make it a sport again and less of a science experiment with a bunch of lifeless robo-dorks.

They can keep the current engine regulations, just run unrestricted fuel flow and bring back refueling. This way, we still get the power we want, but the teams don't have to spend a ton to go over to another engine regulation.

Keep the current down force rules, just position the rear wing lower, and allow the manufacturers to do whatever kind of nose they want to as long as it is safe. The larger rear wheels is a great idea as well.

Not saying that this next thing has to be done, but if they really want to cut costs, mandate spec rear and front wing pieces. The teams can adjust them however they want, but everyone will have the same possibilities.

Take away DRS altogether and take away more down force. Make the drivers wrestle these beasts around the track. Also take away all fuel mixture settings so if a driver needs to conserve fuel, they have to short shift or manage throttle input on their own.

And a note about balancing performance and cutting costs. Mandate that at the end of every season, every team must share every piece of information from the past season. And to make sure no one is hiding anything, make the teams submit every ounce of data to the FIA so the FIA can guarantee everything is being shared. The access to this means gaps will close and teams may decide to spend less on developing their car considering everyone will have access to it at the end of the year.

Just some of my thoughts, take 'em or leave 'em :cool:

And a note about balancing performance and cutting costs. Mandate that at the end of every season, every team must share every piece of information from the past season. And to make sure no one is hiding anything, make the teams submit every ounce of data to the FIA so the FIA can guarantee everything is being shared. The access to this means gaps will close and teams may decide to spend less on developing their car considering everyone will have access to it at the end of the year.

That is actually not a bad idea, altough there would be lots of complaints, since a team
that has struggled to build a good package would see some of their opponents (who might have slown down on development during the final races in wait of the new season) suddenly catch up.

Also take away all fuel mixture settings so if a driver needs to conserve fuel, they have to short shift or manage throttle input on their own.

That is even harder to happen. With all those engine mapping choices, fuel settings,
brake adjustments and so on, the sport has evolved. In fact these settings are now
vital in every race, we see drivers changing setups all the time, sometimes even
within one lap. Furthermore,that's where the really good drivers standout.
I believe it's a part of the modern F1 that shouldn't be removed. I strongly
insist though that the team manager or race advisor must not give advice
to the driver on how or when to use these settings.

To add speculism to this subject ;)
A mod I found somewhere (presumable illegal or ripped), fine tuned it to a very fine handling Formula car with top speed of 400kmh, removing the turbo and adjusting power plant, steering ratio, car set up and height all myself. It's a raw V8 Ferrari engine with 800hp and almost no wheel spin because of fine tuned electronics. No KERS, just raw power. The original is pretty bad set up, but I bet you'd like my version of this "F1" car. Love it.
2015-02-19_00017.jpg
2015-02-19_00018.jpg

2015-02-20_00001.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back