F1 Half Term Report: Rate the Grid - Marcus Ericsson

Paul Jeffrey

Premium
Rate the Grid - Marcus Ericsson .jpg

At the half way point in the season, we ask the community to rate the current crop of Grand Prix drivers. Based on reverse championship order, today the votes are for - Marcus Ericsson.

It has been something of a trying season for the likeable Sauber team, with new signing Pascal Wehrlein having only managed a paltry five points over the opening half of the campaign, and young team mate Marcus Ericsson never looking likely to trouble the score keepers come Sunday afternoon.

Many in Formula One were surprised to see Ericsson chosen over his 2016 team mate Nasr this year, and frankly the young Swede hasn't really made an impact on the sport to justify his position within the Sauber outfit.

11th place in Azerbaijan would be Ericsson's best result of the year to date, however all too often the driver would find himself languishing toward the rear of the field come the chequered flag at race end, very often further behind his team mate than is comfortable for both driver and team.

The second half of 2017 will be a critical time for Ericsson to prove his worth in Formula One. However with Longbow Finance money behind Sauber and reportedly tied in with the driver, perhaps a reprieve in 2018 isn't as unlikely as the results would suggest.

Vote now to tell us how you rate the first half of 2017 for Marcus Ericsson, and leave a comment below!

For more from the world of Formula One, check out the Formula One sub forum here at RaceDepartment and get involved with our awesome community..

Marcus Ericsson b.jpg
Marcus Ericsson a.jpg
Marcus Ericsson c.jpg

Last edited:
I would love for the swede to be doing well, as I'm living and working here, but he just isn't good enough. There are other Swedish drivers who would probably do better but its all about the cash he brings to the team.

I would say I would like to see him replaced by Felix Rosenqvist. But I want Felix in a competitive team, not that it'll ever happen.

He's being outpaced by Wehrlein for the most part, but he's not getting completely annihilated. Don't think he'll be in F1 for much longer if Ferrari decides to put drivers in Sauber's seats which seems likely.

Tough team in its current form to show any true potential one may have as they seldom make the points. Needs a few mixed weather races to perhaps show personal ability and to compete better with other cars.

The problem is, his new team-mate has scored all 5 points thus far and that's more than double the team scored all last season.

He deserves a 2, but I gave him a 5 as he is kinda funding Sauber as a team, so I have to at least give him credit for keeping the team on the grid.

He's being outpaced by Wehrlein for the most part, but he's not getting completely annihilated. Don't think he'll be in F1 for much longer if Ferrari decides to put drivers in Sauber's seats which seems likely.

He's got a lifetime seat in Sauber as his backers owns the team.
Granted, they did try to offer him as a replacement for Rosberg in Merc, and in return they would run Wehrlein for free...

There is one seat open at Sauber for either Leclerc or Gio. The other is for Ericsson.

A typical paydriver and clearly no new Ronnie Peterson. Not only Rosenquist would be faster, also the "old man" Ekstroem can show him how to drive faster.

And of course Sauber is a shame for the last years... nothing more than a backmarker team with no ambition aside surviving. Poor Peter Sauber, must be hard for him to see that. He didn`t deserve this.

I mean, he's there I guess.

You would think that since the whole team (including his teammate, through no choice of his own) is trying to push 'ol Marcus across the finish line first, then he would at least get a point. :O_o:

Khaltinborne (or whatever) has more integrity in her pinky than the whole team does now. I'm sure it happens elsewhere, but she exposed it, again.

He is not that good tbh but he is backed-up by some sponsors who are probably paying big for Sauber.
Look at Pascal who scored many points (5?) for Sauber and even Nasr scored a point while Marcus has not scored any point for Sauber yet.

Same story with Kvyat...he is just another Maldonado (but without any race victory) but he seems to have some serious big sponsors behind his back...
Talent is overrated? :O_o::confused:

Last edited:
You would think that since the whole team (including his teammate, through no choice of his own) is trying to push 'ol Marcus across the finish line first, then he would at least get a point. :O_o:

Khaltinborne (or whatever) has more integrity in her pinky than the whole team does now. I'm sure it happens elsewhere, but she exposed it, again.
Ericsson - "What are points and how much do they cost?"

Really don't know why all the hate. Do we watch the same races ?
Pay or not pay driver he may be... he was clearly not outclassed (and often just the opposite, except those lucky points:rolleyes:) by Wherlein. Who, on the other hand, is still not a pay driver.
Didn't vote, seems a bit pointless imo.

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back