F1 Half Term Report: Rate the Grid - Daniel Ricciardo

Paul Jeffrey

Premium
Rate the Grid - Daniel Ricciardo.jpg

Ricciardo's famous smile hasn't been as evident as he would of liked so far in 2017, however the likeable Australian continues to extract the most from his Red Bull Renault in F1.

Currently sitting an impressive fourth in the drivers standings, an impressive 50 points ahead of his highly rated team mate Max Verstappen, Ricciardo has done himself plenty of favours in his bid to be recognized as one of the best drivers in current Formula One circles.

Constantly in the mix at the sharp end of the field, despite a less than ideal Red Bull car, Ricciardo somehow continues to be able to extract the very most from the machinery at his disposal. Give the Aussie a regular race winning machine and many believe he will be difficult to beat.

Vote now to tell us how you rate the first half of 2017 for Daniel Ricciardo, and leave a comment below!

For more from the world of Formula One, check out the Formula One sub forum here at RaceDepartment and get involved with our awesome community..

Rate the Grid - Daniel Ricciardo 3.jpg
Rate the Grid - Daniel Ricciardo 4.jpg
Rate the Grid - Daniel Ricciardo 2.jpg

7.5, voted 8. Still an awful, simdad-tier wheel to wheel racer who's massively aided by the current ridiculous stewarding standards. Would've been a 7, but his pace is good and he's been doing better against Verstappen lately compared to the start of the season, though how much of that is down to Verstappen losing motivation or otherwise getting worse remains to be seen. Can't say I like him as a person either, and like the poster above, I'm more than tired of his sickening shoey antics (though, credit to him, he himself seems to be tired of it by now).

At the very least, he'd most certainly be leading the championship right now if he was in the leading Merc, as he's still been getting more out of his car than Hamilton and Bottas have overall. He's very clearly been made to look good through Verstappen's early misfortune and that ridiculous race in Baku though.

I've no doubt that his rating in this poll will be amplified by the British fans who are in love with him. Why they love him so, I will never know.

Last edited:
not a bad season for ricciardo

we were expecting a lot better from rb but they are far behind ferrari and mercedes and anyway good drive from ricciardo this year

to mention thos 5 back to back podiums

a great guy, a gentleman, great skill, one of the best "overtaker" (can we say that, is it english?) of the past two decades.
for me not at the same level of vettel or Alonso, or his teammate Verstappen.
this guy always have very fast teammate, and he always did very good job against Vettel or Verstappen
wish him the best.

7.5, voted 8. Still an awful, simdad-tier wheel to wheel racer who's massively aided by the current ridiculous stewarding standards. Would've been a 7, but his pace is good and he's been doing better against Verstappen lately compared to the start of the season, though how much of that is down to Verstappen losing motivation or otherwise getting worse remains to be seen. Can't say I like him as a person either, and like the poster above, I'm more than tired of his sickening shoey antics (though, credit to him, he himself seems to be tired of it by now).

At the very least, he'd most certainly be leading the championship right now if he was in the leading Merc, as he's still been getting more out of his car than Hamilton and Bottas have overall. He's very clearly been made to look good through Verstappen's early misfortune and that ridiculous race in Baku though.

I've no doubt that his rating in this poll will be amplified by the British fans who are in love with him. Why they love him so, I will never know.

Jeez mate did Ric F#$k your missus or something? Harsh!

M-Bimmer

WhAt GoEs ArOuNd CoMeS ArOuNd
He is the black horse so far, podiums without good qualy reaults. I like that. He works for it and it pays off.
Never give up and never stop believing. :thumbsup:

Stop the shoe epidemic :roflmao:

Can't say I like him as a person either

I'm only joking around but try telling that to the umpteen million female F1 fans who adore him :laugh::)

Daniel has been a little bit unlucky with incidents this year but overall he's a better driver than his teammate. Verstappen has more natural speed but his recklessness at the moment is counting against him.

A great job this year so far from Daniel. The Red Bull cars are great pieces of work and the drivers always seem to have a car that's got great driveability and stability. Who knows where Renault/Tag are with the engine, I don't think they are that far behind but we'll see how the big the gap is at Monza and Spa.

He kinda reminds me of a Button. :rolleyes:
But for a reason you would never guess. More on that later.
I used to dislike him, cause I was more into Vergne when they were in Toro Rosso together and I wish Eric move to Red Bull (still think that he deserves another F1 chance but ok...) instead of Daniel. They were practically at same level.
Then, after he moves to Red Bull, I realize that he is actually a great guy. :x3:
I used to hate Button. Cause I was J.Villeneuve fan and that cocky British go on my nerves... but later I realize he was among sweetest and honest guys in paddock. Ever. And indeed - fast.
Daniel is one of those... who really can extract the max of the car thrown at him.
But again no vote from me. It's just not for me.

Last edited:
I am a big fan of Dan, he has excellent racecraft but can go mia at times but those times are rare. I have been a bit disappointed with his qualifying this year. I don't think he has been beaten in q over the course of a season since he has been in f1 but max is doing a number on him in this respect this year. He is such a likeable guy too unlike a lot of the robots in f1.

Fast and consistend driver, on pair with Vettel he has always exploited almost 100% of what his car can achieve compared to Mercedes and Ferrari.
9 is my vote, not 10 for that shoe drinking :sick:

Solid 9. Been very consistent and getting the most out of the car. People say he has been very lucky, not really, he has just been keeping out of trouble.

Meh, 8 for his consistency and for staying out of trouble. What to say? He's lost the qualifying advantage to his teammate, became a more boring and mature driver and bags a lot of points.

How much money have you spend on your current simracing hardware

• €0-150

Votes: 86 19.5%
  • €151-500

Votes: 120 27.2%
  • €501-1000

Votes: 72 16.3%
  • €1001-1500

Votes: 38 8.6%
  • €1501-3000

Votes: 43 9.8%
  • €3001-5000