F1 End of Season Report: Rate the Grid - Romain Grosjean

Paul Jeffrey

Premium
Rate the Grid - Romain Grosjean 4.jpg

Romain Grosjean is next up in our 'Rate the Grid' series. Has the Frenchman done enough to receive praise from our community, or do we think it a case of "could do better"?

The now 31-year-old Haas F1 driver was once labelled a danger by his fellow Grand Prix drivers following a series of unnecessary opening lap accidents, however the former GP2 champion has knuckled down in recent seasons as he looks to establish himself as one of the top talents in the current Grand Prix field.

Sadly for Grosjean a series of uncompetitive cars and bad career decisions have left the obviously talented driver further away that ever from race winning machinery. Has he done enough in 2017 to prove his worth to a top team, or is Grosjean simply marking time in the middle of the grid in a case of what might have been?

Vote now to tell us how you rate the 2017 season for Haas F1 driver Romain Grosjean, and leave a comment below!

For more from the world of Formula One, check out the Formula One sub forum here at RaceDepartment and get involved with our awesome community..

Rate the Grid - Romain Grosjean 3.jpg
Rate the Grid - Romain Grosjean 2.jpg
Rate the Grid - Romain Grosjean 1.jpg

Gets stick for moaning a lot but the car seemed to perform incredibly inconsistently throughout and there is no doubting his pace. 6.

He can be fast with the right car but the haas has been incredibly inconsistent this year. One race they are fighting for top ten and the next they are dead last.

I still think he was a bit inconsistent this season, with some really good drives showing his pace. However, even though I recognise the great flatuation of the performance of the Haas car, I still feel he has made too many mistakes this season to justify solely the car limiting his performances this season.

As some people already indicated, Haas had a very inconsistent year, leaving Romain in a bit of an awkward spot. Still scored 28 points which is very respectable with the Haas, and the guy definitely has pace, however he seems to have one big problem: himself. He just seems to find a problem with anything and moans about everything over the radio (something which I also passionately hate Seb Buemi for lol :p). The USGP radio message basically summed it up with his engineer telling RG to shut up...
Scored him 5/10

D

Deleted member 205301

• Deleted member 205301

...Well...I know grosjean since Formula Renault...He always broke some cars, and always showed speed...
Strange season : some races were good, and some were ridiculous...really depending on the car.
Gave him a 7/10 (deserves a 6, but get one more point cause i'm french^^)
As a "big heart braker", He's nowhere with this kind of brakes, K-Mag beats him too much time...
Probably 2018 will be his last year if he don't find a solution :(
@++

The USGP radio message basically summed it up with his engineer telling RG to shut up...
It's actually far worse than that. It wasn't his engineer. It was Günther Steiner. And when your boss is fed up with your moaning... :cautious:

/edit: Gave him a 6. Partly for his constant moaning, but also not lower because he have shown his pace this year. But it's imho due to the lack of consistency of Haas' development where the real pain is and where his frustration led to some real bad performances.

Last edited:

Jan Larsen

Premium
5. Average, like Magnussen. Probably slightly faster than Magnussen on a perfect day, but that very rarely happens. Took the Haas way to Ferrari, but hasnt done a single thing to warrant a thought from Ferrari yet. Also the worst driver in the field when it comes to the wet.

The whole year I heard him complaining about the brakes on his car and they switched brands multiple times and I think the whole Haas team was fed up with him (pit radio told him to shut up and I saw an interview with someone from the team about this brake problem). He also was whining on the radio about the bad conditions during qualifying in Monza and only a few moments later he crashed causing a very long red flag situation. I would personally have liked to see a full wet qualifying for once, but his crash (and lack of driving skills in the wet) 'destroyed' that. For me one of the worst drivers on the grid this year and a well deserverved...1.:confused:

Like Magnusson...a solid 4.
I had high hopes for this guy going in.
He proved he could be fast when his head was in the right place.
It's a bit unfortunate, he has concentrated way too much on what he doesn't have versus what he does have...a drive in a premier series.
Sure! Haas is a new team. We don't expect them to be at the front right away.
These are team-building years. It's an opportunity to 'jell' with, and get to know the principal, mechanics and most importantly...the car.
It's not the time to openly criticize the machinery... the brakes...the situation.
Too many youngsters waiting in the wing to 're-heat' that seat.
He needs to get on with the business of adapting to, learning and driving the car.

Used to like him a lot in the then Lotus-named Lotus team. By now the way that he complains rubs me the wrong way. I am not generally anti-complainer (somebody's got to say it to fix something). The whiney way of delivering his complaints is a bit much. Especially on the radio. I do not recall that he showed his talent between car failures this year. He might be distracted by the upset about his situation.

How much money have you spend on your current simracing hardware

• €0-150

Votes: 92 19.0%
  • €151-500

Votes: 128 26.4%
  • €501-1000

Votes: 85 17.5%
  • €1001-1500

Votes: 43 8.9%
  • €1501-3000

Votes: 48 9.9%
  • €3001-5000