F1 End of Season Report: Rate the Grid - Lance Stroll

A 5.
Despite buying his way in he did far better than I expected.
He should mature, provided he is allowed to get enough confidence to be his own man.

I was the sole person to give a 10 to this dude. He's the best of the grid: no one else has ever before ignored the races like he does to just enjoy his toy and the scenery. It's amazing how he can focus on having fun instead of competing. I'd give a 100 for his focus and will to only have fun. Amazing dude. He could easily be a great monk.

A 5.
Despite buying his way in he did far better than I expected.
He should mature, provided he is allowed to get enough confidence to be his own man.

But he was not one minute working in McDonalds and next he's strapped into an F1 car, he'd had more practice than most that's for sure...did you miss the bit where he had an ex F1 car and 10 tech guys to trot around the globe to the F1 tracks and practice?

He's still a part-and-parcel pay driver given Stroll's dad is still paying Williams for his seat.
Impressive in junior categories some were deals to hire entire support teams to aim for the top.

But somehow he did better than expected in maiden F1 season, clean and solid drives (shock podium in Baku), few flashes of brilliance (qualifying in Monza in the wet). Not entirely convinced still since he's way off from Massa still as an overall racer.

Gave him a 6. Not to bad of a job. Yet to see something special.

Among all first-year rookies, I still give the best rating to Vandoorne. S**t engine in a supposedly good chassis and managing race and qualy more or less on par with Alonso especially on the second half of the season.

Heavily underrated. Early in the season he has been hit a few times by other drivers and he made he few mistakes in other races. This caused people to rate his start as a joke which is not fair. Anyone could have gotten anything in Baku so that result counts for nobody. Monza he showed a masterclass in the rain. Also not fairly rated because he was not pushed by his teammate Massa who was in my opinion not someone he would learn a lot from. I deffinitly expect more for him to make it in F1 no doubt. Didn't live up to expectations but is blamed for more then he should be blamed off.

Surprisingly he seemed the best during wet conditions and most of the time that shows the talent of a driver. However, under normal conditions it looks like the car is driving him instead of the other way around. On Dutch TV regularly onboard footage was shown where you could see how much corrections he is constantly making with the steering wheel. Where other drivers drive smoothly with almost no corrections, he constantly seems to be 'fighting' the car. The Williams may not have been the best car in 2017, but not that bad. Let's give him another year and then judge him again.

Worst pay driver in the history of the sport? No, definitely not.

Future world champ? Nope, can't see that either.

On the up side he's still young and only one season in to his f1 career - so plenty of room for improvement there. Must do better relative to his teammate next year though, whoever that turns out to be.

Signs of promise at Baku and Montreal. A long way off the pace in a lot of other races.

5 out of 10

Last edited:
Ok... First, I'm a French Canadian from Montréal, Québec.
Second, his father owns Tremblant, he does need a place to drive his P3, I've raced there a while back, Mr. Stroll totally revamped the place. It's gorgeous now a days.

The Strolls, I love'em...

So Lance, to be fair, I voted 7. Here or there, it could have been better. But then, what does an arm chair racing driver really knows...
But you know what, I'm really walking on air. For me, he did a fantastic job. I am so proud of him!
I'm so glad not to be Venezuelan.
MaldonadoApprovalV2_transparent.png

Last edited:
But he was not one minute working in McDonalds and next he's strapped into an F1 car, he'd had more practice than most that's for sure...did you miss the bit where he had an ex F1 car and 10 tech guys to trot around the globe to the F1 tracks and practice?

I doubt he'd even eat anything 'McDonalds' and despite being parachuted into F1 due to his Father's wealth the kid has done a reasonable job in a Dog of a car.
:roflmao:

Proof that with enough money anyone could be in F1 aged 18.

With all of that practice anyone could do it....
He was not born to do it and just happened to be lucky enough coincidence his Daddy was a billionaire....he could of wanted to be tennis player and he's of had the best tennis coaching in the world and maybe been in the top 20 tennis players....

So you are saying that I could be a top 20 tennis player with enough good coaching? What a load of.....
I'm a musician and have taught or tried to teach kids. There are various levels of talent but if you are tone deaf you will never be a good musician....never, never, never.
Apply that to athletics and racing. Stroll will not likely be a Hamilton or Alonzo but he is accomplished enough, money or not, to have reached the F1 level.

Proof that with enough money anyone could be in F1 aged 18.
He was not born to do it and just happened to be lucky enough coincidence his Daddy was a billionaire....he could of wanted to be tennis player and he's of had the best tennis coaching in the world and maybe been in the top 20 tennis players....
I wont back down and I'm not a 'hater'.....
Not bothering with this thread further except to point out that in the 'Real Racer' series (MotoGP) only talent works and teenage World Champions are not uncommon.
At least Stroll seems to be eager to learn and behaves in a modest manner.
Enough said.

And here some more...

Stroll is the only driver outside Mercedes, Ferrari and Red Bull to qualify on the first row and make a 2017 podium.

What ever the circumstances, he did that. And circumstances... in F1... in motor racing, they happen all the time to all drivers.

Like I said in my first message... armchair racing drivers.

Last edited:

Latest News

What's needed for simracing in 2024?

• More games, period

• Better graphics/visuals

• Advanced physics and handling

• More cars and tracks

• AI improvements

• AI engineering

• Cross-platform play

• New game Modes

• Other, post your idea