F1 Boring Qualifying? Pirelli to Address this issue

This should be welcome news if Pirelli can force some sort of rule or change in the Regulations regarding Qualifying, they feel the teams are cheating the fans out of a show, Read below for the Article.

Pirelli-tyres_2647633.jpg

Pirelli motorsport boss Paul Hembery says that the tyre manufacturer and the teams need to work together to prevent limited runs in qualifying.

As teams looked to conserve tyres during Q3 at Suzuka on Saturday, six drivers did not post times and many of those who did so only went out for one run.

This is not the first time that teams have adopted this tactic and Hembery believes that they are cheating the fans by doing so.
"I think it's up to us to work with the teams to come up with a solution," said Hembery.
"We are robbing the fans of a show. They paid good money to come here today.

"I'm not criticising the teams because I know why they've done it, because they are using the rules to obtain the best result, so it's not a case of that. But I think we have to look at the wider picture and all of us work together to find a solution.

"It's something we discussed with a few of the teams over the last few days and I hope that we can set up something in Korea and start working on some solutions. We are open to any suggestions from the teams. I think we all recognise that something needs to be done."

Hembery is confident that there are a number of ways to solve the problem.
"I think we need to get more tyres, find another solution, get qualifying tyres, force teams to use the Q2 tyres in Q3.... There's a multitude of ideas that we can discuss," he said.

"They all have positives and negatives, of course. There's never the perfect solution, but I think sitting on a table and being sensible there has to be a way of finding something that suits everyone."

Source

Pirelli aren't the only ones wanting a change, Stefano Domenical want's something done about it to, read the story below!

Ferrari team principal, Stefano Domenicali, has called for a change to the regulations which resulted in four cars not going out to set a timed lap during qualifying in Japan.
It's been the case at several other races this season, as drivers settle with their top-ten position as they look to save tyres for the race.

Domenicali says, whilst it's legal and make sense for some cars, it isn't good for what is ultimately poor entertainment for the fans.
"Once again today, as has happened before during this season, we have seen cars - no less than four in Q3 – give up on doing a flying lap," he said after qualifying.

"Far be it for me to criticise those who made this choice, which is absolutely respectable from a technical point of view, I think it shows something is not right in the way qualifying is run and we should give it some careful thought for the future, because I don't think it's such a good thing for the spectators in the grandstand, who, I must say here are amazing in the way they make you feel their passion for Formula 1 and for those who are watching on television."

Source

I almost fell asleep last night watching qualifying with an empty track and hardly any cars on it. I can only imagine how the fans who were there in person felt about all watching the grass grow adjacent to the empty track. Give the teams an extra set of tires. If they know they will not be running out of tires in the race then they will not be afraid to use them in qualifying. It's really not that hard to fix.

FIA can't hand out penalties when the drivers and teams are not breaking any rules unfortunately. The Japanese spectators are way too respectful towards the drivers.

I am sure if they pull this same trick on Interlagos in Brazil the crowd will start to "boo" them. Can't wait for that moment to be honest!

How about the top 10 qualifying teams only have to keep the tires they run their fastest lap on, if they use more in other Q sessions then they can be replaced for the race.

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back