F1 2017 WIP Thread

Graham Laing

Retired Staff
F1 2017-RD-ModdingWIPs.jpg

If you have a WIP (Work in Progress) mod, and wish to show other modders the current state of your mod, and/or request feedback from them, then please post in this thread only. Thanks :)

Please do not create WIP threads nor upload a WIP or Beta mods to our modding forum.

From what I've already seen, some classic cars seem totally not moddable without a proper 3D models... for the decals :(
That is ridiculous. Codemasters my ass. Either they have no idea what they're doing or they're doing it on purpose. Considering the regular cars sound okay on that front, I'm leaning towards the latter.

More people should be calling them out on their idiotic anti-mod crusade.

I really need to see if I can create an OSD mod again. Jeez, they put a slider for opacity in there and it counts for the text, too? Just want to get rid of the background like always, lol.

Edit: Meh... they put all the stuff into erp, more work and my paint.net can't open the exported .dds files anymore so I can't change the background textures...

Edit2: whatever, I just use an empty file then :D
upload_2017-8-25_19-7-39.png

that works, background gone

Last edited:
I really need to see if I can create an OSD mod again. Jeez, they put a slider for opacity in there and it counts for the text, too? Just want to get rid of the background like always, lol.

Edit: Meh... they put all the stuff into erp, more work and my paint.net can't open the exported .dds files anymore so I can't change the background textures...

Edit2: whatever, I just use an empty file then :D
View attachment 208441

that works, background gone

Cool! Can you upload the mod?

Cool! Can you upload the mod?
Ya ya ya sure, sure. But I'm still working on it. Want to create it the way I did for F1 2015, but things have changed a bit and some things were additionally implemented. So, yeah, it will need a bit time to get it all done more or less. Just be patient, maybe two or three days depending on how much time I can currently spend this weekend ;-)

f... CM f... CM f... CM I'm already so close to quit this sh... most moronic programming ever, seriously there is no logic behind when a file can be edited and when it will fail to load the race ... it's just OSD ffs. I even looked at last year's OSD mod as the system was very similar but even the changes from last year can't be used the same way this year.

For example: I can make the game to not load the red area of illegal overtaking notice but I can not edit the very same file for the game to make the illegal overtaking timer without background...

I'm frustrated, really, I'm sitting here now for over 7 hours straight and are again or still at the same point as yesterday evening ... "I'm like T T, just like T T..."

My turn for an audio mod:

This uses two BDL files from F1 2011 and the V8 BDLs from F1 2017 that have been pitch-altered by hex-editing the BDL. I will release this once I get some feedback on how it sounds.

For those interested in altering the pitch of the BDL, if you have a hex editor, change byte 55 to alter the overall pitch of the sound.

My turn for an audio mod:

This uses two BDL files from F1 2011 and the V8 BDLs from F1 2017 that have been pitch-altered by hex-editing the BDL. I will release this once I get some feedback on how it sounds.

For those interested in altering the pitch of the BDL, if you have a hex editor, change byte 55 to alter the overall pitch of the sound.
I presume doing it that way doesn't do anything for gamesaving? The easier way /which is just using the carmodel pkg file) does seem to cause a problem with that. But anyway that's very cool!

I didn't have any save issues by replacing the V6 sounds for the 2017 cars with these tweaked V8 sounds. As a test, I started a Haas career yesterday and completed one of the championships today (started it shortly after the Haas career). I left the Haas career at Australia practice 3 and placed 1st in the Sprint Championship before restarting the game, and everything is as it was.
I'm assuming the car ERPs are checked to prevent performance-altering mods from being used, particularly online. I personally think Codemasters could alter how they go about this by disabling online play and leaderboard uploads should the game detect modified car ERPs. Does altering ERPs prevent saving in Quick Race?

I didn't have any save issues by replacing the V6 sounds for the 2017 cars with these tweaked V8 sounds. As a test, I started a Haas career yesterday and completed one of the championships today (started it shortly after the Haas career). I left the Haas career at Australia practice 3 and placed 1st in the Sprint Championship before restarting the game, and everything is as it was.
I'm assuming the car ERPs are checked to prevent performance-altering mods from being used, particularly online. I personally think Codemasters could alter how they go about this by disabling online play and leaderboard uploads should the game detect modified car ERPs. Does altering ERPs prevent saving in Quick Race?
yes it does, I would love if they did that too but oh well. I'm very interested in your mod then :D

Latest News

What would make you race in our Club events

• Special events

Votes: 62 29.7%
  • More leagues

Votes: 40 19.1%
  • Prizes

Votes: 43 20.6%
  • Trophies

Votes: 24 11.5%
  • Forum trophies

Votes: 13 6.2%