F1 2010 F1 2010 Steam page is up

F1 2010 The Game (Codemasters)
Johan, I'm guessing you are new to Steam - prices are usually at full retail on Steam and I'm not sure to what extent they price for each country. F1 2010 is €43 from Amazon.de for example so Steam would be a small saving for the Germans.

If I pre-order from Steam in the UK the price pretty much matches Amazon plus postage.

Johan, I'm guessing you are new to Steam - prices are usually at full retail on Steam and I'm not sure to what extent they price for each country. F1 2010 is €43 from Amazon.de for example so Steam would be a small saving for the Germans.

If I pre-order from Steam in the UK the price pretty much matches Amazon plus postage.
I'm not new to Steam David, I just don't understand why a downloaded copy without anything you can touch has the same price as the recommended retail price. Especially if you see online stores even within the Netherland that sell is for much less. I think Germany also has stores that sell cheaper than amazon. But amazxon is a big fish. you should look at the smaller fishes.. Those are generally lowering the price a lot..

For UK: take a look at a store like www.zavvi.com
http://www.zavvi.com/games/platforms/pc/f1-2010/10082009.html

I'm not new to Steam David, I just don't understand why a downloaded copy without anything you can touch has the same price as the recommended retail price. Especially if you see online stores even within the Netherland that sell is for much less. I think Germany also has stores that sell cheaper than amazon. But amazxon is a big fish. you should look at the smaller fishes.. Those are generally lowering the price a lot..

Most online stores price digital copies the same as retail copies in order to keep the field level. Why would you buy from a retail store when a game is cheaper online?

The retail price includes a margin for the retail store - typically 1/3rd of the price of the game in the UK. The retail store buys the game for around £15. Their overheads/profit plus VAT take the retail price to £30. Online retailers such as Amazon have lower overheads than most game stores so can afford to sell for less. In addition some of them ship from the Channel Islands avoiding VAT which is also a major saving.

I'd suggest Steam games are sold at full retail prices for two reasons

1) keep "hard copy" sales of PC games alive for a bit longer.
2) increase income to PC game makers. Steam will take a cut, but its likely to be quite a bit less than the store's cut plus the cost of producing the physical game and distributing it to the stores. F1 2010 will have the same retail price as GP2 but will be much more expensive to produce. Of course the development costs are now spread across the other platforms, but my assumption is the increased income from digital sales of PC games is helping to keep PC games viable.

Also, DVD version can be ripped easier then a Steam based install. I know that you can WTCCED the files and GCFScape etc to open and play around, but to actually run the game you still need Steam + Key. So, you'll get a somewhat more secure release.

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back