F1 1991 Championship

Career F1 1991 Championship 1.0

Login or Register an account to download this content
You understand you've used a 1989 picture as your 1991 preview? Not having a go, I just think it's quite funny :D:p
IHMO don't change anything, doesn't affect game exp or anything else, i am wrong? :p
In any case you can change the preview picture after download the mod with any img you prefer ;)

Last edited:
I was about to ask the same question. I've not played AC much lately and I'm frightened to mess up my install by making a mistake in installing this. Any help ?
To install you must put in the AC "Carreer" folder the "seroes_f1_1991_championship" you downloaded from this website.
Then install the cars to content manager one by one from ASR Formula 1991.
Then install the tracks from the "1988 track" links.
Note, there is one car that is paid. But if you edit the "oponents.ini" you can remove the paid car from the mod like i did.

Last edited:
install: unzip the download folder, now you do see 3 folders. Career/champs/race grids.
Open career map and unzip the "series_f1_1991_championship" put the unzipped "series_f1_1991_championship" map in the career folder

1688837214825.png

Put the files from the Champs folder into the AC champs folder
1688837328358.png

The put the cmpreset into the race grid folder. Yes you do need Content manager.
1688837491894.png

To make the changes in the career, use the @Cozy61 YT video's

Keep in your mind, you can now use different F1 cars and tracks. Luckily most of the needed ASR F1 cars are free and the tracks of your choice can be found at the Breathe track list.
This Googledoc track list can be downloaded (after registration) at the GTplanet AC forum.

Last edited:
This is brilliant. But it only gives a chance to drive Senna / Berger McLaren in the championship menu.

If I want to have a season with Mansell / Williams or Prost / Ferrari, should I change something from the json file?

Cheers.

Edit: I figured it out. You just have to edit the json files. No worries.

Last edited:
Works like a charm.

However it's constantly low level teams/drivers like JJ Lehto, Gugelmin taking the pole positions and top drivers like Prost, Berger can be found on the bottom. How should I edit the driver skills?

Last edited:
I'm a veteran AC player but I played it for years on PS4. Basically I bought a gaming PC only because of AC and ACC. And the vintage F1 mods. Also bought rF2 and AMS2.

When I installed the 1991 ASR F1 mod (and this season files from the downloads section) and set things up properly I'm absolutely speechless. I never thought I could play anything even remotely as good F1 mod as this is. It's absolutely amazing how well the cars have been done (and the 1988 tracks and F1 1986 season too). Can't thank you enough for sharing these masterpieces.

Honestly I have everything set up now quite well and I have never enjoyed gaming as much as I do now.

I had an issue with the 1991 championship file as the lower team drivers like JJ Lehto and Nicola Larini were taking the pole positions and top dogs Senna, Prost, Berger, Mansell were constantly on the bottom. That was very unrealistic.

I edited the AI_LEVEL= line on opponents.ini accordingly and set guys like Larini and Andrea de Crasheris skill level to 77. Mansell, Prost, Senna, Piquet to 99. It worked in the qualifying. Now they're on top of the lists as they should.

BUT I've seen some idiotic AI behaviour in some races. For example in Interlagos when I lapped the lower team drivers they were literally crawling on the track. Sometimes AI cars get stuck behind a parked car, etc.

Is the AI_LEVEL line the correct way to adjust the AI drivers? Or should it be done with ballast and restrictions from the CM? Do those also work in the season? Haven't been able to find this from the CM (to edit the cars in the season).

And do the above 100 AI LEVEL values work? Perhaps it'd be better to adjust the worst drivers at 90 and the best drivers at 120?

Would appreciate someone with experience helping a AC PC newbie.

Cheers.

Nevermind. With some tedious adjusting I've managed to find very good settings for my skill level (which isn't that great but it's probably a blessing as the games are very enjoyable when there's a proper challenge).

Also managed to make the top drivers faster.

I've driven Detroit (4th position), Interlagos (win) after Senna crashed to a wall from 1st place, Imola (4th) and Monaco (6th) and Senna, Mansell and Patrese are dominating the qualifying and the season points. I'm driving Alesi/Ferrari. Can't make Prost any better no matter what I set up.

This is truly amazing gaming experience. The cars sound and drive so well.

Interlagos was my best qualifying result (2nd).

zIGHkoK.jpg

Last edited:
Alright, 3 full championship seasons played with this mod. I have made my own adjustments to this to get the most realistic results. For me it's about realism in every aspect. Unfortunately AC ai has its limitations but this was the best compromise.

2 WDC's were won by Senna (AI), 1 won by Prost (AI). I managed to get 4th twice with Jean Alesi, 4th with Piquet and in my last season I took 4 poles with Mansell (Monaco, Interlagos, Hungaroring, Estoril) and was 3rd in overall points. Only 2 retirements due to crashes and one engine blew in Montreal when I switched too quickly to the 1st gear. The track ai's are quite competitive and balanced between QF/race with these settings. Only Monaco and Hungaroring are on the easy side.

Of course everyone's skill level is different. I'm not the greatest sim racer but I guess I'm not the worst, either... and these settings have given me amazing three seasons. The ASR cars are amazing, the ground effect sparks look absolutely brilliant during the races.

AI skill levels:

Senna 94
Prost 94
Patrese 92
Piquet 91
Berger 91
Alesi 89

Max. aggression to the top drivers used 25. Easily adjustable from the champs files.

The lower tier drivers' aggression and skills are set low on purpose (85-86) because otherwise they're knocking you out of the track even in their slow qualifying lap. Same thing when they become backmarkers. The price to pay for this is their unrealistically slow pace. But honestly these years were all about the above drivers + Mansell and can you imagine someone like Johnny Herbert taking the poles with his 1991 Lotus? If you're not making enough changes to the drivers' ai skills you get idiotic starting grids.

I have set the player to pilot Nigel Mansell's Williams which drives the best of the mod cars (imho). Of course that can be easily changed.

Download the champs files.

Don't make any changes to CM ballast/restrictions and these settings give you excellent and realistic results all through the season. If you make changes, do it to champs files.

Detroit is inaccurate as the 1st race actually took place on the Phoenix street circuit. I have one version of Phoenix track but the ai is 6 seconds too slow on that. There is no free decent Phoenix street circut for AC unfortunately. So no changes to the OP's tracks. Mostly 1988 tracks used which are mostly superb.

I hope it's ok to share. Remove if not.

PS: I highly recommend using CrewChief and this amazing vintage BBC SimHub dashboard along with this mod. If you're in your 40's and you remember those days, this dashboard truly transformed the experience to another level. The only thing missing is Murray Walker's commentary. Best gaming days I've ever had. You need the Gary Swallow plugin and SimHub in order to make it work. Let me know if you have problems (been there, done that).

Last edited:
Thank you so much for your post and your work. I'm playing this mod since some time and I'm experiencing exactly what you reported. I struggled to find a way to make Senna and Prost and Mansell competitive as it was back in time, but I - probably wrongly - worked on ballast and restrictions instead. This resulted in having all the top drivers at the top of qualifying and races. What it's not working with this mod is cars crawling on the track for no apparent reason, or missing the track line and then crash and stuck on something, or dropping from the sky on the starting grid... the racing experience is a bit of a nightmare on long distances. I was thinking that probably the old 1988 tracks were messing the things a bit up, due to AI lines. As said the options to make all more realistic are too many and unfortunately I have no time to spend hours on try&test.
Nonetheless I find this mod a masterpiece that MUST to be played by anyone.

Last edited:
Yes the AI cars "die" on the track occasionally. But that happens with most F1 mods. I had a 1984 season going and a race on Osterreichring. Suddenly on that top speed straight there was Stefan Bellof's car stalled on top of the hill. No yellow flags so there was nothing I could do at 330 km/h and the race was over.

Those happen, but not very frequently (fortunately).

I have only had 10-15 lap races so perhaps the problem occurs more in realistic distance GP's.

But yes, this is F1 at its finest without a doubt. I've played 'em all... F1 series, rF2, AMS1, AMS2... but nothing beats AC in pure F1 experience... even with its flaws.

Use my championship files as a base and adjust them.... and you will never have a problem with top drivers' performance again.

Restrictor/ballast settings on CM will NOT work on the championships. Never use them. Some people on Youtube give this advice but I don't know if they have actually even played full seasons. Timo Dick was complaining in some of his videos that the ai too easy. It's definitely NOT too easy when you have set up things properly. Even Senna/Prost/Mansell 94 ai skill is plenty of challenge with these cars when you use actual race soft/mid tires. Some other mod cars need more, some less.

The ballast/restrictors only work for the 1st race of the season (for whatever reason). Perhaps the problem occurs when the champs files have adjusted ai skills already? But my way is an idiot proof way to do it.

And yes... use Hungaroring ASR track 1992 instead. It's still too slow but much less so than the 1988 version. The 1988 tracks are masterpieces. Only Jacarapegua and Hungaroring have slow ai's. It's spot on on others.

Here are all my championship files.

1982, 1984, 1986, 1988, 1990, 1991, 1994, 1998, 2007.

Every single one have been playtested besides 1982. Haven't had time to do that yet. Let me know in PM if you need something.

PS: If someone has a decent Phoenix street circuit track, I'd be eternally grateful. No problem paying with PayPal (if that's what's needed). The one available has 6-7 seconds too slow ai.

PS: 1984 championship was the best I've ever had. I had most top cars between 96-99 ai skill. Dallas street circuit is amazingly enjoyable and the ai is perfect. ASR Kyalami 1992 is absolutely awesome too... and the 1990's Brands Hatch that I used. Had a lot of fun with that year and found perfect settings.

Last edited:

Latest News

What's needed for simracing in 2024?

• More games, period

• Better graphics/visuals

• Advanced physics and handling

• More cars and tracks

• AI improvements

• AI engineering

• Cross-platform play

• New game Modes

• Other, post your idea