AMS2 F1 1983 @ Brands Hatch, Tuesday 11th July 2023

Automobilista 2 Racing Club event

Redvaliant

AMS2 Club Staff
Staff
Premium
ss231956RD.jpg

This Tuesday we take on the challenge of the 1983 Formula One cars around the hills and dips of classic Brands Hatch. It was the year that the turbos took over, and the end of an era as the mighty Cosworth DFV V8 won its last race. The Immense power of the turbos came with built-in fragility and terrible fuel economy that allowed the Cosworth powered cars to be within striking distance of an upset win, especially at the tighter tracks. If you fancy taming the insane power of the Brabham BT52 or pushing the classic McLaren MP4 for all its worth, then join us for two short, sharp sprints on Tuesday .

Whether you are a rookie racer or a seasoned veteran our casual club races are for everyone and every skill level. We combine fun events with discord chatter and a warm welcome to all our premium members.

ss175837.jpg

Server Name: RACEDEPARTMENT.COM #3 Tuesday Race Club
Server Password: PW on sign up.
Server Settings: X2 fuel, 2X tyre wear
Setups: Open
Assists: Factory Defaults
Track: Brands Hatch
Cars: Formula Retro G3: V8, Turbo, Mclaren MP4/1C, Brabham BT52

1983 V8 Cosworth.jpg
1983Turbo.jpg

Rules: Read or watch our racing club rules
Discord: Join us on the #Automobilista-2 voice chat during the event. Join our Discord here and check out the #read-this-first how to setup and syncronize your premium account.

Race 1.
Practice:
18:30 UTC (30 minutes)
Qualifying: 19:00 UTC (15 minutes)
Race: 19:15 UTC (25 minutes)
Lobby Break
Race 2.
Qualifying:
19:45 UTC (10 minutes)
Race: 19:55 UTC (25 minutes)
ss230805.jpg

Entry List
  1. Redvaliant
  2. GeekyDeaks
  3. CK1249
  4. Munkyboo
  5. *akephoe
  6. Eric S
  7. *Herlev
  8. *Sanbone
  9. Bas Kriesels
  10. PurgerUK
  11. Free Spot
  12. Free Spot
  13. Free Spot
  14. Free Spot
  15. Free Spot
  16. Free Spot
  17. Free Spot
  18. Free Spot
  19. Free Spot
  20. Free Spot

Last edited:
yes please!

yes please! short question: what is the most driveable, yet competitive choice of car for this? The McLaren?
Hey guys, added.

As far as drivability goes, I'd say the Mclaren is both fast and drivable, then the NA V8 gen car, followed by the Gen Turbo and, some way back, upside down and on fire, the Brabham BT52.
There has been some updating of all these cars so maybe the BT52 is easier to drive and the Cosworths slowed down some, I'll need to do some more testing to be sure, but if in doubt, the two Cosworth V8s are the cars to choose. However, for sheer WTF! ness the BT52, and to a lesser extent the Gen Turbo, are a real test of nerve and maths skills regarding the fuel usage and the ability for the turbos to go BOOM! if you push them.

Last edited:
Hey guys, added.

As far as drivability goes, I'd say the Mclaren is both fast and drivable, then the NA V8 gen car, followed by the Gen Turbo and, some way back, upside down and on fire, the Brabham BT52.
There has been some updating of all these cars so maybe the BT52 is easier to drive and the Cosworths slowed down some, I'll need to do some more testing to be sure, but if in doubt, the two Cosworth V8s are the cars to choose. However, for sheer WTF! ness the BT52, and to a lesser extent the Gen Turbo, are a real test of nerve and maths skills regarding the fuel usage and the ability for the turbos to go BOOM! if you push them.
The BT52 is a killer. Will probably try for second race though. Love the car. See my workspace in the office …

Attachments

• IMG_2428.jpeg
    IMG_2428.jpeg
    130.2 KB · Views: 47
  • IMG_2429.jpeg
    IMG_2429.jpeg
    115.7 KB · Views: 41
sign me up please
Hi Adrian added.
After some more testing on the server I have some ideas on the various cars:
The BT52 is way more managable now than when it was released. Still has gobs of understeer and not as much downforce as the other cars, but now you can get it around the lap. The Gen Turbo is just quicker and less dramatic everywhere, it feels docile in comaparison to the Brabham. The Mclaren is just magic to throw around and is almost as quick as the turbo. Hawthorn, the fast uphill right after the plunge down Pilgrim's straight, is a 3rd gear corner that you can throw the cars into and feed the throttle on progressively. Not in the Brabham however. You need to be careful on entry and smooth with it, otherwise the back comes around. At 80% boost It is more powerful than the others, but it is a real beast at this boost - it just takes super human skills to keep it pointing the right way. All that said, these cars around here are bloody fantastic.

No, we barely had any tv coverage at the time let alone actual races. But it's when I really started to follow the races. The closest race to us was the Australian GP which began in 1986 and we then strated to get more regular coverage with the Oz race live. Most of the cars and books etc I've picked up over the years. The poster is an actual 1955 Mercedes race poster; I've got two of them, very nice birthday gifts.

@Redvaliant you have the backbone of a shrimp.... :p
Of course I am in!
Added, of course - I'll ignore that slight. I just used an older spam message with some additions of people who are still active or have raced with us in the recent past. I don't make a habit of spamming, but these cars are the business, so here we go.

Latest News

What's needed for simracing in 2024?

• More games, period

• Better graphics/visuals

• Advanced physics and handling

• More cars and tracks

• AI improvements

• AI engineering

• Cross-platform play

• New game Modes

• Other, post your idea

Results are only viewable after voting.