Ever increasing

I love to support modders, but I'm noticing a trend I do not really care for.
Some guys are turning strictly to money for modding...which in itself is okay.
The issue is with the fact that they seem to be charging full price for every single item and in some cases, as much as a full Kunos pack for an individual car or track.
Is that of concern to you folks?

Last edited:
I didn't read everything mentioned above in detail but ...
Guys - We live in a (mostly) free world. Everybody is free to offer his content/services for any price he likes and all other people are free to buy or ignore. That beeing said, this whole discussion is pointless and leads to nothing IMO.
However, I don't want to forbide anybody posting here. As I said - it's a free world. (no sarcasm!)

I would love seeing the Assetto Corsa modding scene go the same way as the flight sim scene did like 10 years ago.
Freeware mods are wonderful, but given the complexity of the models, texture size, and general expectation for authenticity, it is almost impossible for modders to achieve somethinig only near the quality of official content.
So if few payware modders were to sell ultra high quality content, I would buy that in an instant.
Unlike with Aeroplanes and Airports, cars and race tracks are much more expensive to license, and without proper licensing, it is not possible to sell addon cars and tracks.
So as much as i would L.O.V.E to buy high quality addons for Assetto, I think such a scene or market will not materialize.

giphy (17).gif

AD are mostly, if not all, stolen/ripped/converted 3D models with crap physics. If you're lucky they copy/paste Kunos physics. They are thieves. Same as RTM. Just so you know. I would steer well clear of both of them. :thumbsup: Laters!

I actually support a range of paid mods, some are phenomenal ( such as RSS, URD, VRC, ASR) and some are decent (Assetto Drive - the lack of damage limits the emersion). However, there are others that are decent, but quite expensive for what you get (RTM), which is a single model that is sold for $10 and these I am less supportive of, as a result of cost. Now, with AD (Assetto Drive), I am completely supported throughout, in terms of updates, and I appreciate (including the other phenomenal mod teams) the efforts that have to go into producing good 3D models and support throughout the lifespan of their creation. If you have ever been a Technical illustrator, Draftsman or 3D modeller, you will understand the efforts that have to go into producing something that is of quality is not just building the model, but actually working on details. This is where you gather the quality. If any of you remember the game Ridge Racer, you will understand my point on detail (cars looked nice, but not quite realistic looking.)

Next, you have those working on the physics of the cars - and remember, these are the elements that have to be updated most - they will put in multiple hours to ensure that what you get is as true to life as it can be, essentially the contact of the car with the road (the pitch, roll, yaw, weight transfer) and overall feel. The rigging of the models, which also gives the emersion of moving suspension. These things are what we all love and come to expect of modding teams and a lot of the good teams work hard to produce this level of detail for us. Of course we'd all want a quality mod that is free. But remember, no one wants a Formula One car that feels as though it is Bambi on ice.

What I am trying to say, I guess, is that if the product is quality and of a reasonable price, then by all means support the modders. Some of these games, Assetto in particular, seems to thrive on having a modding community and if they happen to be diligent with their product, then why not support them the way you would with any other brand. I also understand that there are smaller modders that would love to get paid as well. However, they will have to build their brand (through quality) and develop a body of work (a mass of models) that will catch the eye of the consumer ( the sim drivers) and can be referred back to that will allow others to assess their work. This is what has happened with RSS and others such as VRC, ASR, URD and to a lesser extent AD. As I have stated before, I will have no qualms in supporting a modder or team that can produce quality. It is generally a small outlay, and in the case of URD (various prices) and AD ($10), you can purchase multiple models.

Apologies for the long winded comment, but some of us need to try building a model first and then understand it can be 'a labour of love', also that there is quite a bit of involvement for good quality delivery. In short, support where necessary.

Are folks at all, in any way alarmed by the trend?
Jep, especially when it concerns trademarked brands being offered for money. This is an absolute no go in modding and it's just a matter of time before somebody is pissing off the wrong brand and the problems will start.

Selling fantasy content, scratch made, I am all for it. Non-fantasy content which infringes copyrights or trademarks, stay away from it.

I'd prefer no mods at all instead of paid ones, real or fictional.

Now it becomes just a business. Whereas it took months, half a year, a year to release one car, now it takes 2 months to release three or four paid cars. So is nothing more than a modding business, do they pay taxes on it? You mounted a shop where people can only access your products if they pay money.

Jep, especially when it concerns trademarked brands being offered for money. This is an absolute no go in modding and it's just a matter of time before somebody is pissing off the wrong brand and the problems will start.

Selling fantasy content, scratch made, I am all for it. Non-fantasy content which infringes copyrights or trademarks, stay away from it.
Even at 3000 sales...$4 per mod still equates to $12000.
If a modder is putting out even one mod per month that's $144000 a year.
Those are very low sales numbers by the way.
I'd say that's more than enough to cover any software he'd purchase to do the mod and more that sufficient to cover his time.

It's not about the money really. It's about the fact that you cannot sell copyrighted / trademarked stuff without facing the consequences sooner or later.

I can't build a car in real life and then slam some Ferrari logos on it and sell it as a Ferrari. Things don't work that way.

If a modding team creates a 100% scratch build fantasy car with no real life resemblance and sells it for 0.03 cents or 30 euros that's all fine. Up to the modder to value his own work but than at least it's legal when you tax it.

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back