Esteban Gutierrez in talks to remain in F1

d_reinhard_h_14_2983.jpg

During this portion of the season many young drivers on the F1 grid are already beginning to shift their attention to the next season, with Sauber's second year driver Esteban Gutierrez using the current "Summer break" in F1 to begin talks with several teams over a drive for the 2015 season.

He's revealed he is "evaluating all the possibilities" as he looks to remain in F1 next year despite a disappointing first two seasons in F1 so far, with only one points finish so far from a season and a half.

Gutierrez is quoted by GPUpdate.net as having said "We have opened talks with Sauber, [we] have opened discussions with other teams, we are in a time of assessment to see what direction we want to take, In the next two months we have to make a decision and right now we're evaluating all the possibilities we have open. Sauber is happy with me and wants to continue."

Despite substantial financial support from Mexican company Telmex, Gutierrez will have to fight off a number of other drivers to keep his seat with Sauber for a third season in 2015, which is his most likely way to staying in F1 next year. Should Gutierrez remain in F1 next year, or does another young hot shoe driver deserve to be promoted to Sauber in 2015?

I know there's guys who don't like him, but personally, I'd rather keep Gutierrez and get rid of Lewis Hamilton. As good a driver people think he is (personally I think he's pretty average), he has so much and arrogance and self-love it's sickening. Of all the British drivers in F1, Button's my man.

I know there's guys who don't like him, but personally, I'd rather keep Gutierrez and get rid of Lewis Hamilton. As good a driver people think he is (personally I think he's pretty average), he has so much and arrogance and self-love it's sickening. Of all the British drivers in F1, Button's my man.

Seriously? Average?
You may have your reasons for not liking Lewis Hamilton but he is far, far from average.
If you take that stance, then you'd have to say the same of Alonso (since he scored the exact same amount of points as Hamilton...in the same equipment...in LH's first year driving an F1 car....and we all know that's ludicrous.
I don't personally know any drivers on the current grid, so it's not for me to hate any.

Last edited:
Apart from his first season with McLaren Hamilton never really impressed me either to be honest.

Since he is a pair with Rosberg at Mercedes, who nobody ever considered an exceptional talent, it actually starts to show that he isn't from the alien category.

Good driver for sure, but imo not the same level as Schumacher, Alonso and such.

On the topic of Guttierez: make place for a new driver please.

Apart from his first season with McLaren Hamilton never really impressed me either to be honest.

Since he is a pair with Rosberg at Mercedes, who nobody ever considered an exceptional talent, it actually starts to show that he isn't from the alien category.

Good driver for sure, but imo not the same level as Schumacher, Alonso and such.

On the topic of Guttierez: make place for a new driver please.

THANK YOU!

I don't want to detract too much from the purpose of this thread, but IMHO, drivers like Kimi Raikkonen (my fav current driver), Ayrton Senna (my 2nd fav driver of all time) and Jim Clark (my first fav driver of all time) are all head and shoulders above Hamilton. Don't even care that Hamilton matched Clark's pole record. Jim Clark would switch his engine off when his oil pressure got too low and coast round the track, switchhing it back on when he needed it and he STILL won the race! He was a clever driver. Senna would win from the back in a "crap" (I use that term relatively lightly) car (also a highly intellectual driver) and Kimi is just out and out fast. Hamilton came 3rd from 15th this season, largely down to the fact he has the best car out of everyone. Just my opinion.

Anyway, I'm gonna go ahead and stop talking about Lewis before this gets out of hand. Back on topic, Gutierrez deserves to stay, I think just give him another season or two and he could do well!

For me Raikkonen is someone that has to be really motivated in order to deliver. He does not seems to have the hungry to win like Alonso, Vettel or Hamilton.

Hope to see Gutierrez in a better team. I know it takes time to him to get on grips with the car. I still remember that fantastic season on GP3 and the decent one on GP2.

You guys are in some kind of a fairy-land if you think Hamilton and Rosberg aren't two very impressive, capable drivers.
I rate Rosberg as a very good 'thinking' driver, who's had nothing but 'dog' cars since entering F1...that is until now.
Hamilton is one extremely fast, enormously talented driver with the misfortune of having extremely unreliable machinery.
Had he not been kept out by McLaren on 'dead' tires at China in 07, he would most likely have been a rookie WDC.
No one else in the history of Formula One, has ever come close to that feat.
If he has not yet impressed you as a driver, then I'd say you'll never be impressed or you are kidding yourselves.
Is LH at this point as complete of a driver as FA? No.
FA had years of driving and testing F1 cars before LH entered the sport.
That time was used.to develop what is a very complete driver.
Does Lewis deserve to be mentioned in the same breath as Alonso? Absolutely.
That point has been proven since 2007 and 2008.

Last edited:
You guys are in some kind of a fairy-tail if you think Hamilton...and Rosberg aren't two very impressive, capable drivers.
Thats not what I said. They are for sure very impressive and capable otherwise they wouldn't be in Formula 1 in the first place. But Hamilton hasn't shown the exceptional talent in recent years with a car that wasn't dominant. Take Alonso's season in the Minardi as the benchmark for example.

Imo Hamilton isn't from the hors category like some previous champions were.

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back