Esteban Gutierrez confirmed as Adrian Sutil's team-mate at Sauber for 2014

gutierrez_has_been_test_driving_for_sauber_and_the_team_has__big_121858.jpg

Sauber have confirmed Esteban Gutierrez will continue to drive for the team in 2014.

The Mexican youngster will partner Adrian Sutil, who was unveiled as Nico Hulkenberg's replacement last week.

The announcement leaves just three places on the 2014 grid still to be filled, with Caterham yet to name either of their drivers for next season and Marussia so far only naming Jules Bianchi.

Gutierrez scored six points during his first season in F1 season - a modest haul which was nevertheless sufficient to make the 22-year-old the highest-scoring novice in a field which included five debutants.

After a difficult start to his F1 career, in which he was consistently and comprehensively out-performed by Hulkenberg, Gutierrez steadily improved as the campaign progressed, culminating in his first points-scoring race in October's Japanese GP.

"I am happy to be able to continue as a driver for the Sauber F1 Team," said Gutierrez. "It was a steep learning curve last season, but by working closely with the team I was able to improve continuously. It will be my fourth year with the team, the second as a racing driver, and I feel comfortable in taking the next step. The technical challenges in 2014 will be massive. Therefore it will be even more important to know well the people you are working with.

"I will do my very best to improve even more and support the team the best way I can."

Sauber have also confirmed that Russian teenager Sergey Sirotkin has been appointed their official Test Driver for 2014 with the 'aim of preparing Sergey for his debut in Formula One.'

(с) SkySports​

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back