Episode 2: One Car, One Lap in 4K Ultra HD

Bram Hengeveld

Site Founder
Staff
Premium
After a much discussed first episode released during the Easter weekend its now time to proceed with the regular schedule of publishing videos in our One Car, One Lap in 4K series. Today Dragos Haba takes the McLaren F1 GTR to the Northern parts of Italy and races this monstrous car around Autodromo Nazionale di Monza.

The nearly six kilometers of asphalt, located in a beautiful park in the region of Lombardia, is often classified as The Cathedral of Speed. When it comes to pure speed the McLaren F1 GTR ís an excellent weapon of choice for this One Car, One Lap in 4K video. Make sure to watch the video in Ultra HD Quality (2160p) to enjoy it's full potential.

Dragos Haba completed the sunny lap in 1:48.576, racing under perfect conditions with 100% grip, soft tires and a track temperature of 26°C. Now the benchmark is set it's your turn to show your pace and see if you can match or even outpace this fast lap! Feel free to leave us a video response on our YouTube channel with your attempt!

The first season of the One Lap, One Car video-series will contain 10 videos in total published on YouTube twice a week on Tuesday and Thursday. If you would like to stay up-to-date and receive notifications of new stunning video material, make sure to subscribe to our channel.

:D What did you do just jump in and put everything to the right before taking the screens lol No way on earth are you running color saturation at 120 :p
thats probably why it looks weird I think low 80,s produces the best results .

:D What did you do just jump in and put everything to the right before taking the screens lol No way on earth are you running color saturation at 120 :p
I'm running everything like you see it there;) if you don't believe me it's your problem :)

Sorry but i will leave it with this. I don't want to have a discussion on this thread spamming it with any false accusations ;)

Lets be a bit more positive, what do you think can be done to increase the quality of the videos? You seem to know your stuff so, if you like the content but think that there is something we can do to improve the video quality AND if you think you would like to see these improvements fulfilled give us some tips.
I think its all in the effects I use the photomode it gives the best lighting I think , but if the guys running color saturation at 120 thats why I thought it looked weird everything seems slightly over exposed specially the tarmac , but the guys on the AC forums have it nailed they know all the best settings some of there screens are on another planet to mine , but the settings are the keypoints , the videos are great just need improving :)
thats why I first said 1080p at 60fps does look better but 120 saturation is off the charts!

1:48.843... tomorrow is another day and I will beat you @Dragos Haba muahahahaha :D

Really fast time! When I start the hotlap "contest" I was on an online server and it was really embarrassing for me because I couldn't get lower than 1:51.000... After 15 laps I gave up...... And came to RaceDepartment to check if it was really 1:48.500.... I was totally pissed off (I mean I feel like :poop:) after seeing a 4 and then a 8...... bahhh!!!! I decided to start a new session offline.... bammm 1:49.000 on the first lap with the same setup.... DUUUHHH I was on a server that probably was configured with a very old track.... I keep pushing and after 4 laps I managed to get a 1:48.800... all right!!! :cool: Tomorrow I hope I can get here with a better time!

Hope you guys are enjoying as much as I do because this car really is a "old school" car and can bite you in the most unexpected time. I like it! Have fun!

1:48.843... tomorrow is another day and I will beat you @Dragos Haba muahahahaha :D

Really fast time! When I start the hotlap "contest" I was on an online server and it was really embarrassing for me because I couldn't get lower than 1:51.000... After 15 laps I gave up...... And came to RaceDepartment to check if it was really 1:48.500.... I was totally pissed off (I mean I feel like :poop:) after seeing a 4 and then a 8...... bahhh!!!! I decided to start a new session offline.... bammm 1:49.000 on the first lap with the same setup.... DUUUHHH I was on a server that probably was configured with a very old track.... I keep pushing and after 4 laps I managed to get a 1:48.800... all right!!! :cool: Tomorrow I hope I can get here with a better time!

Hope you guys are enjoying as much as I do because this car really is a "old school" car and can bite you in the most unexpected time. I like it! Have fun!

Excellent time! Keep pushing this car is amazingly rewarding to drive and I absolutely love it!

I am having a real tough time with shifting with the McLaren F1. I first tried without autoclutch and autoblip as I usually drive. Unfortunately, I got a lot of missed shifts, especially on downshifting with H&T. Mind you: I drive all the cars that use a H pattern the same manner and I rarely have issues, here or in iRacing, which is the only other sim with a decent transmission simulation (rFactor and derivatives seem to let you shift perfectly well with or without clutch. iRacing has a few cars where the clutch behaves properly. Case in point the MX5 and, to a point, the mustang. Other cars like the Lotus F1 seems to have autoclutch on even when it's off.)

Anyway, with the F1 I found that many times I had to do an extra blip after the shift change to get the gear to engage. Many, many times I would execute good shifts only for the car to jump out of gear.

So I gave it a try with autoclutch and autoblip and then one or the other alone.

With autoclutch, upshifting was a lot better, but downshifting, even with blip on, gave me almost as many missed gears as when I shifted manually. With autoclutch I would hear frequently the gears grinding even after the shift was executed.

I am wondering if this is somehow due to something I have setup wrong or if this car is predisposed to it. I tried many other cars in AC and this is by far the harder to shift manually.

Any suggestions?

PS: currently I am 10 seconds off the time in this video. But not once I have been able to do a lap without shifting issues and on some turns, missing or delaying a shift means going way long and even if I recover and stay on track I can easily lose a second of two in the event itself and who known how much more due to lowered exit speed.

For those that would like to gain some experience at Monza, and learn from the likes of myself and my brother. There is an Event in the US timezone tonight with this iconic race car where we will happily aid you in the pursuit of lowering your PB's.

Sing up HERE!
Hey Dragos, any chance you can run a race at a time when the Aussie's (well this Aussie anyway) could get the benefit of that generous offer of help?? Maybe a Friday or Saturday night for you which would be a Saturday or Sunday morning for us???

I am having a real tough time with shifting with the McLaren F1. I first tried without autoclutch and autoblip as I usually drive. Unfortunately, I got a lot of missed shifts, especially on downshifting with H&T. Mind you: I drive all the cars that use a H pattern the same manner and I rarely have issues, here or in iRacing, which is the only other sim with a decent transmission simulation (rFactor and derivatives seem to let you shift perfectly well with or without clutch. iRacing has a few cars where the clutch behaves properly. Case in point the MX5 and, to a point, the mustang. Other cars like the Lotus F1 seems to have autoclutch on even when it's off.)

Anyway, with the F1 I found that many times I had to do an extra blip after the shift change to get the gear to engage. Many, many times I would execute good shifts only for the car to jump out of gear.

So I gave it a try with autoclutch and autoblip and then one or the other alone.

With autoclutch, upshifting was a lot better, but downshifting, even with blip on, gave me almost as many missed gears as when I shifted manually. With autoclutch I would hear frequently the gears grinding even after the shift was executed.

I am wondering if this is somehow due to something I have setup wrong or if this car is predisposed to it. I tried many other cars in AC and this is by far the harder to shift manually.

Any suggestions?

PS: currently I am 10 seconds off the time in this video. But not once I have been able to do a lap without shifting issues and on some turns, missing or delaying a shift means going way long and even if I recover and stay on track I can easily lose a second of two in the event itself and who known how much more due to lowered exit speed.

First, go to control options and make sure that your clutch pedals travel is being FULLY recognized by assetto corsa. In the case that it's not you can adjust the sliders to get your full travel. In the case that somehow the sliders were moved for one reason or another move them so that the action is dispersed along the entire travel of the pedal.

If that's not the case and everything is fine with the actual pedal and AC's recognition of it, then it seems like practice is what you need to do. Don't wait for the revs to drop too much, if you're really low into the gear and slowing further while braking then when you blip the engine and transmission speed will be too different. I found that this will cause the tranny to grind. You can probably downshift at around 5500-6000 rpm. When upshifting try and take your time a little more, make sure all your actions follow the correct sequence. This just really means that you have to make sure that the gear goes in before you let go of the clutch to get drive to the wheels.

There are times when I still grind the gears, it's something that is going to happen until i master it. until then I keep practicing with whatever car allows me to.

Hey Dragos, any chance you can run a race at a time when the Aussie's (well this Aussie anyway) could get the benefit of that generous offer of help?? Maybe a Friday or Saturday night for you which would be a Saturday or Sunday morning for us???

I will look into that for this week! Try to have it up as soon as I can, maybe get all the other aussies to join in as well. Haven't raced with you guys enough!

EDIT Sign ups HERE! Event is Saturday at Noon AEST, Let me know if that's a good time!

Last edited:
Often happens in real life as well with a camera because it has a certain shutter speed. This means that at certain rotational speeds it may "look" like the wheels are rotating backwards, because the next time the shutter opens it would see the wheel/rim a degree or two behind its previous position.

Often happens in real life as well with a camera because it has a certain shutter speed. This means that at certain rotational speeds it may "look" like the wheels are rotating backwards, because the next time the shutter opens it would see the wheel/rim a degree or two behind its previous position.
I've seen it in real life with aircraft props and rotors but never in a sim :)

Yes, finally after 15 laps I manage to beat your time Mister @Dragos Haba 1:48.321!! :D

As you said earlier this car in Ascari turn is very tricky.... I think its fair to say that I couldn't keep the four wheels between the lines in the end of Ascari (but to be honest I don't think I got any advantage).

I have used the great setup that @Cristian Haba (are you guys brothers??) posted here at RD with some minor adjustments.

As you said @Dragos Haba this car is very rewarding. In the second Lesmo turn my car was all sideways.... Awesome replay (I could share it for someone to record it.. my GPU sucks.. playing at 50fps).

edit: Manage to improve that time to 1:48.119 :D
I have upload the setup on the topic that @Cristian Haba created for this combo.

Last edited:
I will look into that for this week! Try to have it up as soon as I can, maybe get all the other aussies to join in as well. Haven't raced with you guys enough!

EDIT Sign ups HERE! Event is Saturday at Noon AEST, Let me know if that's a good time!
That was quick. Good for me as long as my rig s returned from repairs in time. Looking forward to the experience. Hope my ping isn't too crazy???
I will try the other guys and see if we can raise some action.

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back