engine-crane

Apps engine-crane 0.3.2

Login or Register an account to download this content
Hi. I'm having an odd issue where setting my AC directory causes the app to crash. It just randomly shuts down immediately after. Is it because I used CM compression for my cars?

Attachments

• engine_crane.txt
    10.8 KB · Views: 31
Hello there! I've got an odd issue with the engine crane. Although I like the mod's concept, I can't get it working, no matter what. I've first used the mod, it was working okay, I've set the Assetto Corsa directory and stuff in there, but what happened is that it crashed when swapping the engine with another car. After that, I couldn't manage to launch the executable. I have deleted the config file in there, to see if it works, but then when I choose the game folder, it doesn't work anymore and crashes whenever it remembers of that folder's existence. And I've tried to change the location to another drive, and also tried other versions, no luck at all with them. I'm in a desperately need to fix it, but for some reason, even the changelog doesn't show anything relevant. I'll send the changelog, and I hope there is a fix for my lost cause. Thank you for the concern!

Attachments

• engine_crane.txt
    2.2 KB · Views: 33
Hi. I'm having an odd issue where setting my AC directory causes the app to crash. It just randomly shuts down immediately after. Is it because I used CM compression for my cars?
Hi there, apologies for my delayed response - I've not logged on here for a little while

I can't say I've ever tried CM compression - I didn't even know it was an option. engine-crane expects there to be a `content/cars/` path underneath the AC root and then expects all of the cars to be in regular folders where it can either access the data folder or data.acd file (it can read either) - if the folder structure is different to this in some way that would likel cause problems and I've certainly never tested it.

If you have some info on the compression format I can look into it further - otherwise I'll have to add it to my list of stuff to look at when I have some more time

Is there a Bug where you cant pick an engine right now? i cant open the drop down.
Hi there, apologies for my delayed response - I've not logged on here for a little while

Which drop-down is not being populated? Is it when trying to choose a beamng mod?

I noticed that Automation doen't create BeamNG mods as .zip files by default anymore - which is what it used to do. engine-crane will only recognise beamng mods that are saved in the .zip format at the moment so they must be created in Automation like this to get picked up

When exporting a car in Automation check if the "Zip pack mod" option is ticked when creating the BeamNG mod - this should ensure that engine-crane will be able to find it

Having engine-crane pick-up mods that aren't in the .zip format is on the list of things to add so hopefully you won't need to do this in future

Hello there! I've got an odd issue with the engine crane. Although I like the mod's concept, I can't get it working, no matter what. I've first used the mod, it was working okay, I've set the Assetto Corsa directory and stuff in there, but what happened is that it crashed when swapping the engine with another car. After that, I couldn't manage to launch the executable. I have deleted the config file in there, to see if it works, but then when I choose the game folder, it doesn't work anymore and crashes whenever it remembers of that folder's existence. And I've tried to change the location to another drive, and also tried other versions, no luck at all with them. I'm in a desperately need to fix it, but for some reason, even the changelog doesn't show anything relevant. I'll send the changelog, and I hope there is a fix for my lost cause. Thank you for the concern!
Hi there,

Thanks for reporting this issue - can I just try and clarify the timeline to try and help my understanding?

- engine-crane used to work
- you tried an engine-swap and it failed and the program crashed
- when you tried to open it after that engine-crane immediately crashes before opening
- you deleted the engine-crane config file and then it opened ok again
- as soon as you set the Assetto Corsa path it crashes again and doesn't open anymore

Hi there,

Thanks for reporting this issue - can I just try and clarify the timeline to try and help my understanding?

- engine-crane used to work
- you tried an engine-swap and it failed and the program crashed
- when you tried to open it after that engine-crane immediately crashes before opening
- you deleted the engine-crane config file and then it opened ok again
- as soon as you set the Assetto Corsa path it crashes again and doesn't open anymore
Sorry for late reply, but that's about it. And also, it happens when I change the game location folder, and it's an infinite loop afterwards, the same stuff happen all over when I change the main game folder. Any help is appreciated!

Edit: The first time that crashed was when I tried to swap the engine with another car, and the car I've tried to swap it with was visible in the game menu, but it wasn't that functional, but instead just the same car before the swap without the car image.

Last edited:
Sorry for late reply, but that's about it. And also, it happens when I change the game location folder, and it's an infinite loop afterwards, the same stuff happen all over when I change the main game folder. Any help is appreciated!

Edit: The first time that crashed was when I tried to swap the engine with another car, and the car I've tried to swap it with was visible in the game menu, but it wasn't that functional, but instead just the same car before the swap without the car image.
I'm not entirely sure what could be causing this but I have a theory that the car that you tried to create and failed that first time (which sounds like it may have set this all off) could be malformed in some way that is causing engine-crane to crash whenever it scans the Assetto Corsa cars directory

I'll keep looking into it some more but the time being I have a couple of things you can try out:
  • I've just released a new version which may contain a fix (there are many fixes but nothing specifically aimed at this issue) - you can try it and see if that resolves the issue: https://github.com/zephyrj/engine-crane/releases/tag/v0.3.1-alpha
  • You could try deleting the folder of the car that got created when it crashed the first time and see if that helps things. It will be present in the Assetto Corsa install directory inside content/cars

Is throttle response (or similar) taken into account when exporting/importing?
Btw, you got your goal of not finishing last in the CCC :thumbsup:
Sorry - I've not been keeping track on here lately

I guess throttle response is related to engine inertia - currently this is taken directly from the BeamNG mod. I'm not entirely sure if this maps from Beam to AC directly but it's the only data I have to work with.

Woohoo! I have no idea how some of you guys managed to get the toque curves you got without any Race parts - you're clearly on another level. Thanks for arranging it and letting me take part - perhaps I can do a bit better next time :)

Latest News

What would make you race in our Club events

• Special events

Votes: 9 20.5%
  • More leagues

Votes: 6 13.6%
  • Prizes

Votes: 7 15.9%
  • Trophies

Votes: 5 11.4%
  • Forum trophies

Votes: 2 4.5%