FM4 DTM North America Cup S1

Forza Motorsport 4 (Turn 10 Studios)
With the success of the Classic Touring Cars Cup quite a few of us are looking forward to the next touring cars championship- and I'm aiming not to disappoint! We've all agreed that for the next season we are going to be graduating from our beloved Classic Touring Cars to DTM cars for the series spec as they are brilliant and fast cars to drive, not to mention that they give us great opportunities for equalisation and good close racing. With all this in mind, I present to you the DTM North America Cup!

Details are still being hammered out for the series and we are having a test event on Monday the 2nd of Jan which you can join at DTM Test Event @ Hockenheimring GP - Monday 2nd January. There are some things we need to start working on to get ourselves sorted to start though.

Teams

First thing is it was put forward that the next series should be a team series with team liveries. I like this idea as it makes it feel like a proper race series, but I'm crap at liveries! Soooooo... Is there anyone out there who fancies making some team liveries for the series? I reckon there will probably be 1 team each (at most) for the Audi TT-R and the Opel, and the rest of the grid will probably be Mercs and A4's, so we'll need three liveries each for those assuming we have a full grid.

Do we want to have our personal numbers on the cars or do we want to go F1 style with numbers based on our previous season's standing? Last point on teams is I am inclined to split the grid in to two groups with the top half in an A pot and the bottom half in a B pot and teams would have to be comprised of one driver from each pot, this way we don't end up with a McLaren Prost/Senna situation. What are everyone's thoughts on the above and whether teams should be assigned or people should be able to pick?

Races

Regarding races... (oh yeah, that part's important too isn't it?) I like the idea of running longer proper races with a qualifying session and then a high lap-count event, with a couple of 2x sprint events sprinkled in for good measure. My thoughts are to run a different points system on the two types of events so that the two sprint races roughly equal the total points of a proper length race. I'm hoping to make the longer races long enough to require people to have to make a pitstop without putting mandatory stops in the rules (having to use strategy is fun). Do people know how long that needs to be? Would we be in that range if we are racing 30 laps or do we need more?

Equalisation / Ballast

In the test event we are going to test a group ballast system for use in the upcoming series. The ballast system we are testing is going to be based on overall ability as opposed to race results. We are testing the use of the engine restrictor part in the upgrade shop that is available in 3 different levels of performance at equal levels for each of the cars available on the grid. The grid will be split in to 3 groups, A being fastest and B and C being slower. A group will be using the stock car with a max PI of 834 (depending on model), B group will use the stage 1 restrictor part on their cars with a max PI of 853, and C group will use a stage 2 restrictor with a (model dependant) max PI of 873. Under testing the different stage restrictors should produce a difference of .5 to 1 sec difference in lap time, and we're hoping to this system doesn't necessarily handicap the good drivers but brings the racing closer together.

I know this all might be a lot to digest but it will all work out- trust me! Let's have a show of the interest in the upcoming DTMNAC and people's thoughts on the above ideas. Any other suggestions for the series are welcome as well.

Actually I think you passed me cleanly, the game just didn't update your track position quickly enough.

It's quite unnerving when your being chased by cars flying 10 feet up in the air :eek:
I think a lot of us were having issues with you and Bradley's positions on track. (and I use the term "on track" in it's loosest possible form ;) ) Both you and him were jumping all over the place. Bradley was worse for periods of time and then got better for periods of time. I don't know if possibly someone else in his house might have been using the internet at the same time and choking his bandwidth because it did vary. Your's was much better but you did pop around quite a bit. We've all had it from time to time, hopefully your lines will be ok by next week. I'm getting my massive pipe installed in the morning so lag should be a thing of the past (theoretically) for me.

Tom, further to times set.

I used the Audi stock and managed only 1 50 in practice (similar in race). After race last night switched to Merc stock and was getting 1 49,s. Have had a quick go today with a C Audi and managed the odd 1 48 so, as we thought, it will make us slower old folks more competitive. I'll have a blast in a C merc as well ... who knows 1 47's???

Last night was great fun - thanks for setting it up Tom. Had some really good battles in all races. Much respect to Mark Turner who hit me at the end of race 2 taking us both off, but then very obviously waited for me to get back on track - great to see as its what I am used to ;)

Only couple of slight niggles were the flying/jumping cars from the aformentioned 2, plus also from Wayne :( , but to a much lesser degree.

Did anyone else have issues with bad "echoing"/"repeating" from some people? Was really hard to hear some at times.

For those that dont have a headset - the wired ones are **** with any wheel, get yourself an MS Wireless one from Play - £20 odd, even more important when your having connection issues :p

Overall a great night - really looking forward to the series now and a video of some of last nights action coming soon............

I had some great racing last night, but not without it's frustration with struggling with sudden losses of downforce. Race 1 was a struggle to catch up to Mike, Race 2 was a struggle to keep up with Chris. Race 3 was random, didn't expect to be leading after 4 corners, but soon as I was I just floored it before Karl had chance to catch up. Really can't wait for the league!!!

Did anyone else have issues with bad "echoing"/"repeating" from some people? Was really hard to hear some at times.

Yeah I think it was Andrew's mic. After he'd left things seemed to calm down.

Right guys I have a bunch of Data to process. Thanks to everyone for the great event last night, this series is going to rock! I need practice lap times from Steve and Joe in order to do the team draw and class assignments so get them in guys before this lot start getting impatient to get their results!

R3 was worst for connection issues. Almost got totalled (unintentionally) by Tom's car onL3/4?, last bend before home straight! Had to check replay to see who it was, lost rear spoiler, luckily damage was off. He literally came out of nowhere, lag I think from me or game?

Didn't notice issues with you Adrian, any particular race? I was mostly at the back! ;)

Re mics - yes it seemed to be Andrew echoing. Are voices played back through headset only Andrew?

If damage had been on I think a lot of races would have been ended early last night. Fingers crossed for Tom's BIG PIPE!

A night of mixed feelings with this one! Race one i didnt do too bad from the start, was great to see 4/5 cars all running close!!! Was really struggling to pass Dan, was sat on him for a while then id lose downforce and id lose a few tenths which made me push harder and lost even more time!! Couldnt really find a balance!!

Race 2 was very difficult, trying to pass people was a nightmare again with aero problems when following close was happy with the result

Race 3 was quite a bad one for me, really struggling again with aero, got a few knocks and bumps which would have ended the race for me if damage was on. There was one point i was chasing down a Merc got very close on the last corner and got the run onto the straight. making lots of ground it was time to decide which was to go i pulled right slightly the car infront blocked, move made so i swung to the right but the car infront moved again, tried to get back to the left but all momentum was gone and i felt very hard done by. Not going to point fingers because it was only a test event but would like some clarification on how many defensive moves we can make, as far as i was aware it was one! Sorry to Tom aswell for our bump at turn 2, at the time i thought we had just come together as i couldnt see where you where but after wathcing the replay it does look like i turned in on you so i apologise!

Enjoyed it all in all looking forward to the series

R3 was worst for connection issues. Almost got totalled (unintentionally) by Tom's car onL3/4?, last bend before home straight! Had to check replay to see who it was, lost rear spoiler, luckily damage was off. He literally came out of nowhere, lag I think from me or game?

Didn't notice issues with you Adrian, any particular race? I was mostly at the back! ;)

Re mics - yes it seemed to be Andrew echoing. Are voices played back through headset only Andrew?

If damage had been on I think a lot of races would have been ended early last night. Fingers crossed for Tom's BIG PIPE!

Hey Wayne, Yeah, I was running behind you by about 2 car lengths going into the last corner and it looked like you went sideways, then disappeared, the reappeared on my right (no contact but within mm's) then reappeared on my left with a bang and then your were spinning in my rear-view. Freaky! I've got my fat pipe installed now. Dude just left. early speed test before line calms down is 36.7 D/L and 8.25 U/L. Woohoo!!

Latest News

How often do you meet up (IRL) with your simracing friends?

• Weekly

Votes: 2 5.0%
  • Monthly

Votes: 2 5.0%
  • Yearly

Votes: 4 10.0%
  • Weekly at lan events

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Monthly at lan events

• Yearly at lan events