rF2 DRM Revival @ Spa-Francorchamps 90 - Wednesday May 18th 2011 [EU]

rFactor 2 Racing Club event
Really enjoyed that one. Just drove the car normally here with default radiator and made it to the end to take 2nd :D

Had some great battles with Adam and Evan.

Love the sound with these things. was sitting about a second back from a porsche at one point and it just sounded fantastic!

Also a real pleasure just to drive these cars with a proper manual gearbox with H-shofter and clutch. Especially on such a legendary track as this.

Thx Adam for organising, a great choice for the Club I think. Oh and congratulations on the win :drink:

Quali: Set a good lap and took 6th on the grid.

Race: Made a poor start (sorry Ross) and saw half the field get past me before turn 1. Set about making up a few places and after a few overtakes, and picking up places from people who spun/retired, I found myself in 3rd. Kept myself at a constant distance from Gary in front but Toby surprised me coming out of Eau Rouge and was past me well before Les Combes. Took my stop and came out in 4th again. Erik came out right in front of me and a few laps of following him after Toby had his issues, Erik span in the first part of pouhon. His car was sideways with the rear on the outer curb before the 2nd part of pouhon and his front was facing inwards. As I came around the corner he was just finishing his spin but I had nowhere to go. Tried turning right to avoid but clipped the rear of the car and damaged the suspension. Rejoined back in 2nd but Gary was 45 seconds up the road. Jeff was 8 seconds back so I had to push for the final 20 minutes to keep him at bay. With 5 minutes to go I saw Gary parked at Fagnes and I was promoted to the lead. Held off Jeff for the final 5 minutes to take the win.

Enjoyed it tonight, thanks for racing :)

All of practice and some of qually was spent trying to defeat a poor running rFactor >:/,pleased with 4th on the grid and a good start up to 2nd,some mild shennanigans at Les Combes but no real harm or fouls,couldnt keep with Erik until well in to the race then he came back to me with suffering pace-drop,but still he held my at bay until about 5 turns before he pitted,i pitted the next lap and now had a 30+ secs lead,i suspect "Damage Repair" faux pas?(been there done that),i remembered talks of motor blowing up possibilities so eased up a bit,but alas near the end the engine died,had it on default grill of 3,i think 5 was the way to go like Adz did,its all new to me so room for improvement next time :).
Enjoyable mod,love the raw wildness of the howling Capri.
Congrats Adz-Jeff-Rosso bringing home the podium bacon.

Thank you Adam & RD

Struggled immensely with the car/track combo, and couldn't for the life of me get a setup that felt comfortable. Therefore i decided to just play it safe and get the car home in one piece. Qualie didn't go well , i used Toby's setup but fluffed 2 hot-laps before reverting back to my old setup and getting a relatively slow time.
My 'safe' strategy worked until about the time the red lights went out on the grid, as Adam was slow getting away (for the 2nd time!) so i had to just sit in behind (via the grass) and watch most of the field go by. Then 2 laps in i somehow tagged Marcel going into the hairpin, and had to wait a long time for him to re-pass as others tried to get by his stricken car. From then on i started to progress, getting quicker as the race went on, passed all the DNF's, and was catching those in front through the pitstops (sorry Evan for scraping your BMW as i came in! These things don't like braking!) until eventually i found myself in 3rd, not too far behind Adam & Jeff, which considering my troubles early on was a bit of a result. (i was revving the t*ts off the capri towards the end mind!)

Cheers Adam for the event and congrats on the win. Congrats Jeff for 2nd, and well done all finishers. ALso thanks to the Lancia driver who flashed me through before Eaue Rouge, that was very gentlemanly! Thanks to Toby for the setup also, maybe with more time i'll get the hang of it!

That was a blast that race. Being in the Lancia the blast was usually a sonic boom as a Capri or Porsche blew past on the straight but, even giving away 30+kph I knew the little car was good for a nonstop race. I've done a few weeks with this now on public servers and have to say the level of racing here was excellent. I got into a battle with a recovering Porsche - Marcel?- and not once did he rush a pass or try daredevil moves. After a few laps I blinked first into the fast left kink at the end of the lap and he got 4th. but excellent all the same for me.

What I've seen of these cars is that the Porsche is very fragile if mistreated. A fast guy on another server said you cant go too deep into the redline on shifts with it if you want to finish.
The Capri fails too if overreved - especially off the line - and it is more about matching revs than radiator openings regarding engine life.
The M1 is just a beast. On most public servers they tend to end up in the wall but are unbelievably quick with a good driver.
The Lancia is sweet handling and practically indestructible, if a little down on power.

One thing I've noticed from the replay. Because I'm heel/toeing etc I can brake and stop a lot quicker than most of the other Capri drivers - indeed, one or two caught me out in the race BIG TIME. If you have a G25/G27 then learning to heel-toe will really help your braking in this mod (as it enables you to run more rear bias, brake pressure on the pedal, and use the engine revs to slow you down by missing gears and keeping the revs high without locking the rear wheels). I was also H-shifting, and using that particular upgrade.

It's just a thought ;) It's the only area I was faster than anyone in the last race.

I knew the little car was good for a nonstop race.

I'm glad you could make it without stopping. It was the plan to make the fuel-efficient cars not pit and the others needed to pit as it closed up the field more and adds strategy :)

The Capri fails too if overreved - especially off the line - and it is more about matching revs than radiator openings regarding engine life.

I'm wondering because I know that with the Capri, it's impossible to get going XD

Yep found that out the hard way :)

The Lancia is sweet handling and practically indestructible, if a little down on power.

Lee managed to blow his engine in 5 laps or so. :tongue:

Standing, and yes it was a nightmare to get it started! Maybe these cars would benefit from a rolling start

Will look into it :)

The event results can be found HERE

I got into a battle with a recovering Porsche - Marcel?- and not once did he rush a pass or try daredevil moves. After a few laps I blinked first into the fast left kink at the end of the lap and he got 4th. but excellent all the same for me.

What I've seen of these cars is that the Porsche is very fragile if mistreated.

There must have been two Porsche Turbos on the grid if I remember well, one of them had a white-pinkish painting scheme and mine was a Martini Werksteam Porsche. In this regard chances were 50/50 that we've met each other on the track.

Some other fun moments aside, I had a bit of a "racing" with a driver in a Lanica Beta painted like a zebra. In one situation I was pushing its driver - I am sure he must have been you Daniel - over a whole lap to wait for the best opportunity for a pass which obviously arrived just after the infamous Raidillon de l'Eau Rouge. The second encounter with the same Lanica happend right after my inevitable pit-stop in the last lap at Blanchimont. However it was very brief, I approached Daniel pretty fast and he seemed to push his Lancia over the limits going off-track leaving enough room for me to pass quiet easily. I hope I didn't scare you.

Daniel you're quite correct about the fragility of the Porsche Turbo engine, the spotter gave me about 10 laps into the race the information that my engine is wearing out. In short, I've setup my spotter to give me this information when the engine got worn down to 60 percent. In this respect I had to adapt my style of driving. To stop overreving the engine I had to change gears more often as well as changing gears at inconvenient moments which slowed me down overall. I guess I'll have to create two setups in the future, one for the qualification run and a second for the race itself.

Overall and apart from that awkward crash before the restart of the race it used to be a very entertaining racing event.

Thank you very much to all the participants, the organizers and of course RD! :)

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back