F1 2012 Driving the Safety Car in F1 2012 (HowTo and Video inside)

F1 2012 The Game (Codemasters)
Hi Guys,

I have managed to mod my PC game client to replace the McLaren F1 model with the Safety Car:

I will make a how-to video on how I did it, but for now here are some basic instructions:

1. Browse to your game folder, assuming you have steam installed on your C drive in the default installation folder - it should be in the following folder (for 32bit and 64bit respectively):

64bit: C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\f1 2012 demo
32bit: C:\Program Files\Steam\steamapps\common\f1 2012 demo

2. Backup the Cars folder by right clicking it, and copying and pasting it to the same folder - it should be called Cars Copy - rename the folder to a more suitable name such a Cars Backup.

3. Go into the Cars folder and delete the mc2 folder.

4. Copy and Paste the sc2 folder into the same folder - it should be called sc2 Copy - rename this folder to mc2.

5. Go into the new mc2 folder and start renaming the prefixes of the files - at the moment they will all be begining with the safety car prefix (sc2) - we need to change these all to have the McLaren (mc2) prefix. So rename them as follows:

Red is the old file name, Green is the new file name:

sc2.ctf => mc2.ctf
sc2.nd2 => mc2.nd2
sc2.ppts => mc2.ppts
sc2_AO.pssg => mc2_AO.pssg
sc2_highLOD.pssg => mc2_highLOD.pssg
sc2_livery.pssg => mc2_livery.pssg
sc2_lowLOD.pssg => mc2_lowLOD.pssg

6. Burrow down into the Balanced subfolder and perform the same principle task:

sc2_abu_dhabi.ctf => mc2_abu_dhabi.ctf
sc2_monza.ctf => mc2_monza.ctf

7. Go back up one folder level to the mc2 directory and then burrow down into the livery_main folder and perform the same principle task:

textures_high Folder:
sc2_gen_high_main.pssg => mc2_gen_high_main.pssg

textures_low Folder:
sc2_gen_low_main.pssg => mc2_gen_low_main.pssg

8. Go back up one folder level to the mc2 directory and then burrow down into the track folder and perform the same principle task:

sc2_abu_dhabi.ctf => mc2_abu_dhabi.ctf
sc2_monza.ctf => mc2_monza.ctf

You may notice that in the original mc2 folder, there were two additional folders (livery_00 and livery_01) - I have not recreated these folders in the safety car mod, and have not received any issues. However I may look into incorporating them if they start giving file inconsistency errors (missing files).

This is my first attempt at modding the game myself - it is pretty simple and a good laugh. Any feedback is most welcome!

Cheers,

Alec

Lol people were afraid of an unmoddable F1 2012, but it seems it's more moddable than 2011 :D

Great mod Alec! Really funny and promising for future mods :)

Thanks Omer Said!

Yes, it looks like there are folders for the other cars as well, for example:

rb2 - Potentially the Red Bull model
sa2 - Potentially the Sauber model

I will have a tinker this afternoon and see what I can come up with. :)

Cheers,

Alec

****, i tried this with Lotus, but it ****ed up my game... I had an backup but it still don't work... ****

Hi Jeff,

Did you completely back up your Cars folder (so you should have a Cars Backup folder)? If so - simply delete the folder named Cars and rename the backup folder from Cars Backup to Cars.

If you still have issues let me know and I can try to help you further.

Cheers,

Alec

****, i tried this with Lotus, but it ****ed up my game... I had an backup but it still don't work... ****
The one nice thing about Steam is you can reset your game files ;) Go into Steam\Games\View Games Library right click on F1 2012 Demo and go to Properties\Local Files\Verify Integrity of Game Cache.... should reset all your files to what they were before without having to download the whole game. It will delete any mod or customization on any file though so back that up if you want to keep that.

AlecJB,
I did it, but id don't worked. I delated the game and downloaded it again now it works :)
I will not mod the demo anymore, when the full wersion will come out i will play as Lotus :D

Glad to hear you got your game working again!

I think I have found why the game was crashing for you, the lotus folder only had low res texture folders for livery_00, livery_01 and livery_main. I have just managed to get the Red Bull to work in this game, which also was missing those folders. The way I overcame it was by adding a textures_high folder to each of those livery folders and copying over the low res texture into the respective high res texture folder, and renaming it accordingly.

Once I did that the game would load and the car looks great! Albeit with no interior.

Will post up a thread on how to do it in a bit, just editing a video at the mo!

Cheers,

Alec

Awesome, so pumped to race as the Red Bull's!

Do you think you could potentially increase the number of laps of Monza too? Or is that a no-go since it's part of Season Challenge?

Well here is the Red Bull!

Will make some instructions on how to get it into the game this evening.

As for changing the amount of laps of Monza - not quite sure how this can be altered, but I will have a look for you!

Cheers,

Alec

Latest News

What's needed for simracing in 2024?

• More games, period

• Better graphics/visuals

• Advanced physics and handling

• More cars and tracks

• AI improvements

• AI engineering

• Cross-platform play

• New game Modes