Driving backwards tutorial somewhere...? ;)

Although I do manage to park my truck anywhere I have to up to now, I do think it takes me a but too much time...

I know that I should steer in the opposite direction to get where I want to, but sometimes this leaves my truck itself in an odd position in regard to the er... what do you call it... the thing I am pulling LOL... Seems that at a certain point you should stop steering in the opposite direction... Anyway, it feels odd quite often and I have to drive back and forth 40 times before I get my truck anywhere near the parking spot...

Any tips? Maybe there is a tutorial somewhere online that tells me how to do it? I do like to do it myself instead of simply hitting Enter. ;)

I found out something that might help. If you are a leftseated driver you can move your mouse all the way to the left to look (partly) to the rear of your car. Help parking backwards :)

1292358225R8mHD4.jpg

That effect but then looking backwards :) You get the picture :)

TruckIR LOL :) But yes, of course you can see the monitor when looking behind you with TrackIR otherwise TrackIR would be rather useless... ;)

Thanks for the video's, Roland: those are the exact ones I found after posting my post. ;) I'll skip the book, I think... ;)

Most of the delivery bays, have lamp posts as guide lines.
Turn the truck around so you are aiming to travel past the bay on the side, then as your cargo is mid way past the delivery bay, turn away from it and aim for a lamp post that is facing it.
If you line up the truck right, the truck and cargo should be aligned with the delivery bay.
Then its just reverse carefully.
This works for me :thumbsup:

I do this and most times, I dont need to even lean out, just watch the mirrors.

[medio]263[/medio]
Hm, nice, thank you, but er... I wouldn't have a problem parking there ;) because you can drive really far away from the parking spot until the trailer is lined up nicely. I have no problems with driving backwards on its own: I have problems with those spots where the entire truck hardly fits between the parking spot and the fence opposite of it and where the entrance is on the side of even the opposite side! In those cases there is no way to line up the trailer: you have momanouvre a lot to get the trailer into the parking spot and I can't find out how to get that done easily: right now it's a matter of driving back and forth until the darned thing moves into the parking space by accident, so it seems. ;)

My main problem is there seems to be a point where steering right to move the trialer left backfires on you and end up with the truck itself in an awkward position in regards to the trailer... At a certain moment the trailer doesn't move back anymore but only pivots around its wheels... and it almost feels steering right results in the opposite of what you want...

Ah well, maybe it's just a matter of doing a hundred times... ;) I will try that trick Adrian posted and see how far that gets me!

In the tighter spots I find it easier to detach the trailer at the gate and take the cab for a spin round the yard first to plan my attack.

If the trailer starts to get away from you you need to add lots of lock to get the cab to 'catch up' with the trailer. I'll drive round some yards tomorrow and try recording some of the trickier ones. Planning is everything though.

If your still having trouble there are also some outside overhead cameras you can use for a few time which will give you a better overview of the relationship between the two parts of the rig during the manouvre.

A trailer will only go backwards if the truck is pushing it, So if you put too much turn on in reverse, then your only turning the truck and pivoting the trailer wheels.

Its like, turning the back wheels of the trailer with the back wheels of the truck.
Opposite of opposite.

If you find yourself in a L shape position, stop turn 100% opposite lock on, gently roll/ crawl forward, and you will see in the mirrors when the trailer is aligned.

I think the key is to keep the angle between the truck and trailer as small as possible. Go too far and you then can't recover so you'll have to start shunting backwards and forwards. Also, to turn you don't just turn the wheel like you do in a car. It's all about setting the angle between truck and trailer to get the desired rate of turn.

I'm actually getting on better with it than in the previous games, using the 'look back out of the window' view. I find it easier than any of the other views. My only issue at the moment is that I'm so busy concentrating on where the trailer is heading that I keep forgetting the clutch and stalling the engine. :/

Yes, I am already learning that I need to steer the other direction a LOT sooner! So you may have to turn a lot at first to get the trailer pointed in the right direction but after that you soon have to center the wheel rather quickly to not overdo it or even steer the other direction. I kept the wheel turned way too long, I know now.

I aI think it's all a matter of practice, really... ;)

LOL It's funny to see how you develop skills quite quickly. As it is now there isn't a parking spot that scares me anymore: I can put that darned trailer anywhere I want to without problems! ;)

I not only learned that I needed to turn the wheel back sooner but also that as soon as you have got the trailer in a certain angle that you often need to steer the opposite direction to KEEP that angle. If you know what I mean. You have to steer to the right in order to move the trailer to the left but once the trailer is pointing in the right direction, you have to steer to the left to keep it going that way.... Anyway, parking the trailer is a breeze now and big fun too! ;)

maybe its personal preference, but i find that if i try to crawl the trailer in i get in weird spots. but if i have a little speed/momentum, it tends to go in much smoother.......for me anyway.

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back