1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Donington Park, Overrun Detected.

Discussion in 'Racer Problems & Fixes' started by tornado33, Sep 25, 2012.

1. tornado33

tornado33

Ratings:
    +0
    Hey everyone,

Currently i am trying to get an old Donington Park circuit model working on Racer and consistently experiencing the "Overrun Detected" fault. I'll say it is a fault as everytime it occurs i have a fps of less than one. Beyond a few texturing issues that i think i have managed to fix, this issue makes the model completely useless.

Would really appreciate any help and advice if possible.

2. boomer541

boomer541

Ratings:
    +164
    That track was made back in 2004 and needs a complete rebuild. The special.ini, track.shd and .ini files need updating and the textures need renaming among other things like resplining.

Goog luck fixing it.

3. Mr Whippy

Mr Whippy

Ratings:
    +461
    For every texture in there that is a render/texture call, and for every DOF that shares a common texture that is another un-needed render/texture call.

As silly as it sounds, this is a double whammy of badness when it comes to GPU load.

You might get a factor of 10x more FPS simply by atlasing textures, and then another 10x on top of that by merging shared shader DOF's into one larger DOF...

Ie, 1fps > 100fps might be the final result.

The nature of the old style rendering meant that a shader/texture call was relatively cheap and so not a huge issue, but it seems on modern GPU's that shader/texture calls are costly and so that old technique isn't ideal.

As Boomer says, any track that is made like that (old style) needs a re-work to really work at it's best in the latest versions of Racer with cg shading :(

Not a huge issue in itself because a good direct conversion might take just 50hrs for a small ish track... it's just doing the work which really needs a good 3D app to manage the adaptation (ie, not Zmodeller)

Dave