Does the cars being balanced in RACE 07 detract from the realism?

• Pook54

I'm glad the cars are reasonably well balanced, it means you can choose which car you prefer, rather than having to shoehorn your style to fit the car that's 1sec per lap faster or whatever. As has been mentioned already the cars already all feel very different, which satisfies me in terms of realism.

While they may be "balanced", they all have their own personality. Switching from one to another doesn't "generally" provide equal results (unless handled by a master that truly understands the different personalities of the cars). Grand Prix Legends certainly had cars that were totally unequal. Very few ever chose the Honda in Grand Prix Legends for online racing. Almost everyone gravitated to the Lotus, which made some series events extreme bores. I rather enjoy the fact the "diversity" that the "balanced" cars in Race 07 (etc.) brings to the table. I also appreciate that I can chose a car that fits my driving styles/skills and still (well almost) be competitive against drivers that can take another marque on the track that I just can't get a handle on.

I have to admit, since writing my first post in this topic my opinion has changed. Like others have said, the cars are balanced but still have their own personalities. I am comfortable with the fact that I can choose a car with my heart and still be reasonably competitive with it. :)

U all wrong this game is just a game created on a computer and don t show realism in my eyes. Trues realism u can only find it s in real life. Sittin on a chair and asking realism it s a bit crazy. So open ur eyes if u drive allways seat or honda in MOST of tracks it s not because they are fasster or not faster in real life that means games programers feelt the choice to make a car more handable one than other faster or no faster than other based on what?. If u belive in games it s cose u have no choice. Choice to drive a real car in a real life. So i m not saying that everyone should be rich or something but u can t compare a game to real life this is just stupid.

So you came here to call all of us stupid, thanks!

I agree that a game can't be perfectly realistic, and driving in real life is a completely different thing! You can't feel the car under you and you only see a 2D picture on the monitor. But still, how the car reacts to your inputs, or what can the car do, or how the wheel feels in your hands, can be more or less accurate, it can feel more or less natural! It all depends on the physics engine they include in a game, how detailed is it, and how accurate! It can be compared to real life, I can compare it to my real life experience, and if it couldn't be compared, then it would make no sense why real racing drivers/teams use simulators to learn tracks, practice, or even develop setups for their car...

well the racers how s using simulators it s sound good but do u think they use simbin ? Maybe but i think they using big simulators program than not every person will be able to touch one of those days. And how realistic can they be this is not for me a solution cose when ur in an place like simulators and when u are in real life driving a car who points to 400km\h the fellings are not the same and i bet than the bigger simulator ever can t do the feeeling u have when ur in real life. The springs the brakes the way u can have some kind of palpitation in ur hearth when the car is breaking all of those can t be compare to simulators, and even if racers test they setups on simulators this is just like someone said before Theory.

and i ll explain why u can t compare simulator to real life, cose ur afraid for ur life in simulators ur more cool then u can brake earlier and then u can just go in the grass: in real life u can t do this cose ur instincts tell u to brake before ur the cars loose control cose u know after this ur in danger for ur life.

If a game gives back 10% of the real experience, and the other game gives back 5%, then the first is more realistic, isn't it? Nothing can give back 100% of the real life experience. A game cannot be real, but it can be more or less realistic. What you mentioned is a really big part of the difference, but there are some other things to compare!

Not even just in racing games, f.e. there is Half Life 2 and Operation Flashpoint, if you get a shot in head in the first, you lose x life, in the second you're dead. Of course not in real life just in the game!:) But I think we can say that the second is more realistic.

Or we define the word "realistic" differently.

Edit: also the word "compare". I think if you say, you doesn't have the same feelings at 400km/h in real life and in the game, you already compare those 2. In that thing the games aren't realistic.
But again, if you say, the car can accelerate to 100km/h in 3 seconds, and it does that in the game, that's realistic. Or if the car can do 400km/h in real life, and it does that in the game, it's realistic.
If the car does 100km/h in 10 seconds however, and does that in a game in 3 seconds, that's not realistic.
All of these were comparisons of the real life and the ingame experience. Just from a different aspect.

We're not necessarily talking about physics and "how good" a sim Race 07 is. The original purpose of this thread was to ask what people thought of the cars being balanced - ie. the performance being levelled out, so that no particular car had a huge advantage. I don't recall anything being said about the quality of the physics until laofr came in.

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back