Does R3E require Flash?

Neilski

Staff
Premium
Well, I just had a OMFGWTF moment.
Firefox warned me that Flash was being blocked cos it was out of date. I thought "what Flash?" cos I don't have that installed... But it looks like R3E kindly installed it *for me* last night.

Can it really be true that R3E needs Flash in order to run? (If so, I'm going to have to turn my back on it, much as I enjoyed my first hour of testing it.)

(The craziest thing: it installed a version which is -- no kidding -- 4 years old. A version of Flash which is 4 weeks old is usually dangerous, which is why I refuse to have it on any PC I control.)

Well, oddly, after I uninstalled Flash and tried to run it, the launcher failed with "error 2104" (and some complaint about logging in). So I thought that was it - no racing without Flash.
But, just before uninstalling the whole game, I tried it again about an hour later and it just worked...! Weeeird.
(It's still basically unforgiveable to install 4-year old vulnerable crapware on a user's machine.)

It does install Flash yes, but I'm not sure if it still uses it for anything. I think I heard somewhere that the menus work on some custom version of Chrome or something. The Flash install is probably a legacy thing which they forgot to remove.

The Flash install is probably a legacy thing which they forgot to remove.
Quite likely, yeah.
I sent a message to the support guys - will be interesting to see if they respond. I kinda doubt it, because a bit of googling shows that people were complaining about R3E installing Flash many years ago (2012 I think?) and as recently as months ago.

I sent a message to the support guys - will be interesting to see if they respond. I kinda doubt it, because a bit of googling shows that people were complaining about R3E installing Flash many years ago (2012 I think?) and as recently as months ago.

Give them a chance. It only took five years to get tyre compounds on a couple of cars, so I'm sure removing Flash won't take too long. :D

Well, oddly, after I uninstalled Flash and tried to run it, the launcher failed with "error 2104" (and some complaint about logging in). So I thought that was it - no racing without Flash.
But, just before uninstalling the whole game, I tried it again about an hour later and it just worked...! Weeeird.

If this happened tonight at around 9 PM CET give or take (well, yesterday from your point of view) like it seems from the time of your posts, then that had nothing to do with Flash. R3E servers had a hiccup for about 15-20 minutes causing this exact problem (and others) before the issue was resolved.

The old menus required Flash. I believe that they ported all of the menus to HTML in the meantime so I don't think Flash is still needed anymore.

The redistributable is still there, though.

If this happened tonight at around 9 PM CET give or take (well, yesterday from your point of view) like it seems from the time of your posts, then that had nothing to do with Flash. R3E servers had a hiccup for about 15-20 minutes causing this exact problem (and others) before the issue was resolved.
I can't quite recall but there was a good delay between the failure and the success. Very plausible though, thanks!

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back