Tracks Do I start building tracks??

HI

I was thinking of maybe getting into doing tracks as a change from doing skins. I was thinking of getting the track builder that is available on Steam for $60 US

Is that program really good, or is it just flashy looking to make u think doing tracks is simple?

I just have some questions to the track builders here:

If I know nothing whatsoever about building tracks and no experience in any 3D programs, am I in for a world of hurt and disappointment?

Is there much support to be offered to get up to speed on building tracks?

I am very fussy with skins and tracks (need to be highest quality) and I would only want to do a track to the level of Bridgehampton Donnington for example, am I going to be able to achieve this as a normal person without experience in anything except for Photoshop?

Any guidance appreciated

Thanks

RTB (I assume the one on steam) is sorta a mixed bag. It'll let you get decent results quickly, but you will never go beyond that to really good results. It's also not optimized for AC in particular (or race circuits; it's strength is point to point rally) so if you want good hardware performance you have a lot of external work.

I wouldn't recommend using Sketchup for the entire process (or really any of it) but as far as how to build props this shows the general principles of constructing a 3d building pretty well. Probably worth doing a few of these generically as practice before trying to copy a real one so you can get an eye for what features to start with.

RTB does help you to some extent. I wouldnt call it the ultimate track maker as theres so many un-optimized things there.

I've been in the same journey for a few months, i started with 0 knowledge in 3d modeling process and i still have many things to learn. Dont expect to google "how to model race tracks" and find 10/10 tutorials on how to make things. Theres tutorials for everything indeed you just have to know what you are looking for. I'd suggest looking for basics on w/e software you want to learn (ex: Blender, 3dMax), then get the free trial of 3DsimED and import some tracks, this software lets you have a look on how the tracks are made.

Track making is really fun, but very involved. :p I would say yes give it a go if you're interested...

Personally, I've tried making a track in RTB, and while it's good to quickly throw together a layout and test it out, it's still a lot of work that you need to do that RTB doesn't really do... let alone it's often buggy behaviour and the annoying X-Pack system...

You can use the base of what you've made in RTB and import that in Blender/Max and work from there, and a recent update has apparently let you export only certain parts of your build, ie. just the track, just the landscape etc... but as I said, still a lot of work.

I think, as I have learnt, you'd be best just to start with Blender, or Max, but Blender is free, and go from there. Especially if you are after the quality levels of Bridgehampton and Donington. Although, tracks like le Mas du Clos have their beginnings in RTB... so it is definitely possible...

You sound a lot like me when I set out to create the track I wanted to do, I only wanted it to be the best quality... unfortunately I got too frustrated with my lacking skills, and the lack of time to improve them, that my track hasn't been able to live up to what I envisioned.

Good luck, and I look forward to seeing what you make! :D

This is the tutorial I was following when trying to familiarise myself with Blender...

thanks for all your replies guys... need to do some serious thinking lol. at first i'd only be interested in doing 1x track but doing it really really well. and that's the one in the state i live in that not to many people would probably do as its kinda boring, flat, ugly and plain... which sounds perfect for a new guy. :laugh:

Is that program really good, or is it just flashy looking to make u think doing tracks is simple?

Yes

If I know nothing whatsoever about building tracks and no experience in any 3D programs, am I in for a world of hurt and disappointment?

Usually it feels good to create something, feels better to create something good, feels good to have your work appreciated, feels good to learn. If you want to create something good very soon, and not going for a long journey, then you are probably going to get into a world of hurt and disappointment :D

b)
Is there much support to be offered to get up to speed on building tracks?

There are a lot of info here and in official AC forum, there are plenty of modeling tutorials in youtube, plenty of info in the internet. When you face the wall and gettng nowhere it is always good to ask someone, it speeds things up. First of all just learn how to get most simple track into a game - for example just an oval, with few cambers, wider ends, with some grass, some barriers, spawning objects... model it, UV map it, get the naming of objects right, get placeholder textures or create them (2d work), then learn to use ksEditor, then get the files set up correctly, and thats it.

I am very fussy with skins and tracks (need to be highest quality) and I would only want to do a track to the level of Bridgehampton Donnington for example, am I going to be able to achieve this as a normal person without experience in anything except for Photoshop?

a) Don't even start, you are going to get hurt, sad, disappointed, will loose happiness, life is going to go downhill :D
b) Go for it. You should be there a few years later. If you'll work hard, and be dedicated to this goal.

Unless you are genius, then it would happen maybe a little bit sooner.

thanks @mantasisg i like your honesty... sounds a lot like when i thought being able to paint a car would be good... but knew nothing about PS...i sort of got there in the end, not works of art, but acceptable. but yes was years in the process and still learning something new about PS nearly weekly from my peers :)

Track making involves a heap of tedious, repetitive tasks. It is 'simpler' modeling that a car model, but takes more time and effort (in my opinion, but I suck at detailed modeling like cars).
If you get seriously into it than all the main guys are normally very very happy to help. As you are in my timezone, I can help out in any way you need as well

I would say go for it. If your that way inclined you will garner a hugh amount of enjoyment (and excruciating pain) from the learning progress.

All i would say is there is not one correct root or tool (software) that is going to get you were you want to be right away (though blender seems the natural progression eventually. Im learning to slowly fall in love with the cluster **** head scratching interface). Try anything you can. And read read read all the track making threads you can

Ps if you have a wife/girlfriend/boyfriend they are going to hate you very soon

Enjoy

A word of caution - if you think that you will only be happy with Kunos-quality results, and you have no experience what-so-ever of 3D modelling (as you said) I think you either need to lower your expectations, choose an alternative project, or be prepared to invest several years in learning your software first (or, be disappointed).

Personally, I think you need to lower your expectations, for your first track. Don't start it thinking it's going to set the world on fire, and don't think that your will be disappointed with it if it's not pro-quality. I honestly think that the moment you get your first basic road / grass verges "track" in-game, you will love it! You will be so excited that you can drive something that you made that you won't care that it looks crap.

Start small, learn as you go, ask questions, but enjoy it. Good luck!

Reactions: F_B
A lot of sage advice in this thread. My recommendation is to just start with 3ds max or Blender (or whichever other full featured 3D modelling package you want). There are a hundred reasons to go this route, but I can tell you big reason. You've already stated that you're not interested in average quality tracks. Your aim is for the best quality possible (like Bridgehampton). You're going to need no-restrictions 3d modelling software. RTB does what it does and that's all that it does. With a proper 3D software package, if you can dream it up,you can create it (if you have the skill, of course). Good luck!

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back