DIY shift lights ?

Hi all , i'm in the planning stage of building my next cockpit, just a big box of bits and a head full of ideas at this stage. I plan on running Pitwalls motec on a 7" monitor tucked in behind my wheel, so its visible thru the wheel, i've made a steering shaft extension for my G25 to give me room, but what i'd love to do is have a curved row of shift lights just visible above my wheel. Ideally there would be about a dozen lights starting from both sides converging to the middle as revs increase. I want to build a little dash unit which will house the monitor, and i could place these lights , above the monitor in the dash, any suggestions? Has anyone done anything similar?

Cheers

Fallguy

Condensed version of your advice mate, it's all it is.

By the way, if you do end up biting the bullet and getting the SLI-PRO, then you'll need to buy some rotary encoders, and not those rotary switches he sells. I don't really like them, they feel cheap compared to the encoders.

Upvote 0
Thanks Tom , I already have a leo joystick controller , and have looked at his SLI's, maybe i could use the sli-m to operate remote led's? I dont need the other functions , they're already covered with the motec. Do you know if each led on the sli-m is programable or just the colour groups together. I'm wondering if it's possible to run 2 led's from each connection? With the rotary encoders, in relation to rFactor , do you know what settings are suitable for this type of switch? I assume brake bias but am unsure what else. I've seen guys home made F1 wheels with 6 or more switches. Does it depend on the mod?

Cheers
Darren

Upvote 0
Hi Darren

If you are careful and remove the LED's from an SLI-M you can place them 'remotely' You can fine tune the points at which each 'shift' LED illuminates in the softs :)

I use rotarys for: BRAKE BIAS, Menu UP/DOWN, Menu LEFT/RIGHT, BOOST, FOV (seat position) and anything else that uses 2 button strokes to adjust :)

Hope that helps mate

Upvote 0
Thanks Brian , Would there be any issues using a joystick controller and a sli-m? Are there limits to the number of usb devices rfactor will support? Can you recommend any rotary encoders? Sorry ... twenty questions heh

Cheers

Upvote 0
Thanks Brian , Would there be any issues using a joystick controller and a sli-m? Are there limits to the number of usb devices rfactor will support? Can you recommend any rotary encoders? Sorry ... twenty questions heh

Cheers
rFactor (and most games) only support upto 3 HID interface/controllers, so NP with 1) wheel 2) SLI-M 3) Joystick controller...........But lots of other USB devices can be used, just not HID/Controllers, so you could use Symprojects Revburner/gear indicator etc NP :) I must admit, I use Leo's rotarys, nice quality, and work 100% :)

Upvote 0

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back